Quantization on momentum space

In summary: AtkinsonIn summary, this expert summarizer states that it is well known that dx/dt is a perfectly respectable operator in QM, provided one is working in the Heisenberg or interaction representations (or pictures as they are sometimes called). Additionally, they state that Dirac discusses the dx/dt operator in section 30 of his book Quantum Mechanics and gives an extensive discussion of the momentum represention in section 23.
lokofer
I have this doubt..quantization in momentum space using G(p) as the Fourier transform of the wave function was not common (at least when i studied Q. Physics) my doubt is, if we have that:

[tex] x |G(p)>=i \hbar \frac{ \partial G(p)}{\partial p} [/tex]

But..what would happen if we apply:

[tex] \dot x |G(p)> = ? [/tex] here the "dot" means time derivative...

[tex] G(p)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx \psi (x) e^{i\omega t -ipx} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The position operator X isn't time varying; it doesn't make sense to ask for its time derivative! Also, there's no reason here to restrict yourself to stationary states.

Anyways, you know that:

[tex]
| p \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-ipx} |x \rangle \, dx
[/tex]

(but I might have a sign wrong, or a constant multiple missing)

So, you can always transform your state:

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} G(p) |p \rangle \, dp
[/tex]

into

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} G(p) e^{-ipx} \, dp \right) | x \rangle \, dx
[/tex]

if you really need to. (e.g. if you only know how to apply an operator to position states)

Last edited:
It's been well known, at least since the 1930s, that dx/dt is a perfectly respectable operator in QM -- provided one is working in the Heisenberg or interaction representations (or pictures as they are sometimes called). This is pretty standard stuff, and thus is explained in countless books and papers. Dirac, in his Quantum Mechanics, discusses the dx/dt operator in section 30. He also gives an extensive discussion of the momentum represention in section 23.(For a non-relativistic free particle, dx/dt = p/m in the Heisenberg rep.)

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

He's working in the Schrödinger picture, though -- G(p) is a time-varying state.

Hurkyl said:
He's working in the Schrödinger picture, though -- G(p) is a time-varying state.
Right you are, as is often the case.. Reilly

1. What is quantization on momentum space?

Quantization on momentum space refers to the process of discretizing or quantizing the possible values of momentum in a physical system. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, where momentum is described as a wave rather than a continuous quantity.

2. Why is quantization on momentum space important?

Quantization on momentum space is important because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It also helps us understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave in the quantum realm.

3. How is quantization on momentum space different from quantization on position space?

Quantization on momentum space and position space are both methods of discretizing physical quantities in the quantum realm. However, they differ in that momentum space quantization deals with the possible values of momentum, while position space quantization deals with the possible positions of a particle.

4. What is the relationship between quantization on momentum space and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Quantization on momentum space is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because quantization on momentum space leads to a discrete set of possible momentum values, and the more precise the momentum measurement, the less precise the position measurement becomes.

5. How is quantization on momentum space applied in real-life situations?

Quantization on momentum space is applied in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, and the properties of materials at the nanoscale.