Differentiating under the integral sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the Leibniz Integral Rule, which is a method for solving integrals by taking the derivative of the integral with respect to a variable. This technique is useful for solving particular integrals, such as those on the Putnam competition. It is also mentioned in Feynman's literature and can be found in various calculus textbooks. However, some users have found it easier to solve integrals using traditional methods rather than Leibniz Rule.
SeReNiTy
Can someone point me to a reliable source (textbook, website) that teaches this technique? It seems like no course at my university covers this technique even though it is quite useful for solving particular integrals!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what you mean, but it sounds like the fundamental theorem of calculus (and related Gauss's, Green's, Divergence, Stoke's Theorems, etc) Google and wikipedia.org should give plenty of good info.

No it isn't really the classical theorems of vector calculus, it has something to do more with a method of solving integrals. For example integration by parts is a method and so is trig substitutions and so on.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called Leibnitz Rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{A(t)}^{B(t)} G(x,t)dx=G(B(t),t)\frac{dB}{dt}-G(A(t),t)\frac{dA}{dt}+
\int_{A(t)}^{B(t)}\frac{\partial G}{\partial t}dx[/tex]

Now look at that, see what's going on and then do this one.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_1^{2}Cos(xt)dx[/tex]

Note it's a littler easier than the general expression above since the limits are constants. What does that do to the final answer. Calculate it two ways:

1. Do the integration first then just take the derivative of the answer with respect to t.

2. Use Leibnitz Rule directly.

Compare the answers.

Now try one with variable limits of integration:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_t^{2t}Cos(xt)dx[/tex]

Feynman mentions it in some of his literature, is this where you heard it? He read about the idea in Frederick Wood's Advanced Calculus, a now hard-to-obtain book, but a reasonably-sized library may have a copy. It does have a very good explanation of differentiation under the integral sign. If you can't find it though, pm me, and I can send you a copy of that part of the text. (I took pretty extensive notes at that part.)

Everyone keeps asking me if Feynman is my motivation to learn this technique, unfortunately i didn't even know he used the technique til i googled it. My main reason is to find neat ways to solve those damn integrals on the putnam competition...

gnomedt said:
Feynman mentions it in some of his literature, is this where you heard it? He read about the idea in Frederick Wood's Advanced Calculus, a now hard-to-obtain book, but a reasonably-sized library may have a copy. It does have a very good explanation of differentiation under the integral sign. If you can't find it though, pm me, and I can send you a copy of that part of the text. (I took pretty extensive notes at that part.)

?? I just checked 6 different Calculus books on my bookshelves. Every one had Leibniz' formula.

If you're looking for a recepie, it is dealt with in Boas (2nd Ed.), at the end of the chapter on partial differntiation.

Or in Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, theorem 7.40 (and again, but deeper, in the chapter about lebesgue integration).

By the way, Neutrino, thanks for that video you post some months ago, about a metal version of the pachelbel's canon. It is really awesome !

To take the derivative of an integral, you'd do like this:

[tex]\frac{d} {dx} \int_{5x}^{x^{2}} f(x) dx = 2x * f(x^{2}) - 5 * f(5x)[/tex]

If I recall correctly. the f(x) with the boundaries plugged in and times the derivatives of boundaries.

What I usually do is pick a simple example like

[tex]\frac{d} {dx} \int_{0}^{2x} x dx [/tex] and do it two ways: Integrate and then differentiate it back, and then try to apply the Polish Guy's rule...and see what I'm missing and add it in.

EDIT: If it's of any use I learned this in the section dealing with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus I think. It was chapter 5 I think of Calculus AB.

Last edited:
hi i want to know how to apply leibnitz thm for integration in partial differntaiation?

Pardon me for reviving this thread, but I've just read Feynman's book myself, and wanted to try this kind of differential work.

Saltydog: I was very happy to see that you provided an example for us to try. However, I'm finding that solving your second example was easier the regular way (first integrating, then differentiating), rather than using Leibniz' rule. This is because of having to solve the integral of Sin(x*t)*x, in the third "part" of the rule. (Which becomes sin(t*x)/(t^2) - xcos(t*x)/t. )

Did I miss out on something? Because I thought the whole idea was to make it simpler. Though it is a very way of doing it, apart from the last part.

1. What is "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

Differentiating under the integral sign is a mathematical technique used to find derivatives of a function that is expressed as an integral. It involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to one of the variables in the integrand while keeping the other variables constant.

2. Why is "Differentiating under the integral sign" useful?

This technique is useful because it allows us to evaluate integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also provides a way to find derivatives of functions that cannot be expressed in closed form.

3. What are the steps for "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

The steps for differentiating under the integral sign are as follows:

1. Identify the function that is expressed as an integral.
  2. Take the derivative of the function with respect to one of the variables in the integrand while keeping the other variables constant.
  3. Integrate the resulting expression with respect to the same variable.
  4. Evaluate the integral using the original limits of integration.

4. Can "Differentiating under the integral sign" be used for any type of function?

No, this technique can only be used for functions that are continuous and have a well-defined integral. It is also important to check for convergence of the integral before using this technique.

5. Are there any limitations to "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

Yes, there are some limitations to this technique. It cannot be used for functions that have changing limits of integration. It also does not work for functions with multiple variables in the integrand, as the derivative would depend on which variable is being held constant.