Make Red Colored Stars w/ Strontium Compounds

• Thread starter Squall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary: Most pottery stores should have some strontium compounds. I'm not sure if they will have strontium nitrate, but they should have at least some other strontium compounds.
Squall
I am wanting to make red colored stars and I would like to know where strontium compounds can be acquired. is there some household items that contain these compounds. I specifically would like to get strontium carbonate. thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Red road flares often contain strontium nitrate. Never tried to extract/use it myself, but the process should be quite simple.

See here: http://www.orionsignals.com/safetydata/fuseehighway.pdf for a typical MSDS for a road flare. I am not sure how much strontium nitrate you'd get, but it would certainly be enough for pyrotechnic mixtures. I would suggest extracting with boiling water, then filtering out the insoluble sulfur and binder. From there, add baking soda to precipitate out insoluble strontium carbonate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strontium Carbonate is a fairly common, and relatively cheap, compound sold by pottery supply companies.
The SrCO3 can then be used as a red flame coloring agent either in its original Carbonate form, or it can be reacted with acids to produce other Strontium salts (like SrCl2 using HCl). You could also react SrCO3 with Nitric acid, providing you have any, to make Strontium Nitrate, both a flame colorant and an oxidizer in one.
Like Cesium said, Sr(NO3)2 is commonly used in road flares.
[Actually, a couple month’s back around the scene of a car accident . I started to smell something, something I recognized…I thought about it for a while and then it came to me…. “That’s the smell of Nitrates burning”, I checked, and yes, there were some Strontium Nitrate road flares which were set up by the cops.]

In my experience, Strontium Carbonate / Chloride gives more of an Orange-ish red than a red-red color in a flame. I like the reds obtained by using Lithium Carbonate (also a pottery supply).

http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Images/Flame%20Test/Sr+2/Sr+2%20(SrCO3%20+%20SrCl2).jpg"
http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Images/Flame%20Test/Li+/Li+1%20(LiCO3%20+%20LiCl).jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advise now i have to find some pottery stores around here. Will any pottery store have strontium compounds.

Squall said:
Will any pottery store have strontium compounds.
Probably, I think it is fairly common.

What is the purpose of using strontium compounds to make red colored stars?

The purpose of using strontium compounds in fireworks is to produce a bright red color in the explosion. Strontium is known for its ability to emit a deep red color when heated, making it a popular choice for creating red fireworks.

How do strontium compounds create red colored stars in fireworks?

When strontium compounds are heated in a firework explosion, the electrons in the strontium atoms become excited and jump to higher energy levels. When they return to their ground state, they release energy in the form of red light, creating the red color in the explosion.

Are there any safety concerns when working with strontium compounds for making red colored stars?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with strontium compounds, as with any chemical. Strontium is a reactive metal and can be toxic if inhaled or ingested. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and handle the compounds with care.

What other colors can be created using different compounds in fireworks?

There are a variety of compounds that can be used to create different colors in fireworks. For example, copper compounds produce a green color, while sodium compounds produce a yellow color. Different combinations of compounds can also create unique colors, such as purple, blue, and white.

Can strontium compounds be used in other applications besides creating red colored stars in fireworks?

Yes, strontium compounds have a variety of applications outside of fireworks. They are commonly used in the production of glass, ceramics, and paints. Strontium is also used in the medical field, particularly in the treatment of bone disorders.