What is the energy of a 1/2 Hz photon according to Planck's constant?

• Thread starter Sheyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, according to quantum mechanics, the energy of radiation is equal to multiple Planck's constant and is expressed as E = h * v, where "v" is the radiation frequency. Since there is no limit to frequency, the energy of radiation of frequency 1/2 Hz would be S.h/2 J.101010h/2 J.101010, where h is expressed in SI units. However, energy is emitted or absorbed in integer multiples of h\nu, not just h itself. This means that an oscillator working on the frequency ½ Hz cannot emit radiation, as the value of nu is not an integer. Additionally, photon energy is emitted from internal atom/molecule transitions and electron/positron pair ann
Sheyr
According to quantum mechanics the energy of radiation is equal to multiple Planck's constant : E = h * v, where "v" is the radiation frequency.

Since there is no limit to frequency, what is the energy of radiation of frequency 1/2 Hz?

S.

Physics news on Phys.org
h/2 J.101010

neutrino said:
h/2 J.101010

Where h is expressed in SI units; Planck's constant has dimensions [tex]ML^2T^{-1}[/tex], so that would be [tex]Kg m^2 sec^{-1}[/tex].

Thank you. I thought before that the energy must be procuct of integer number of 'h'.

Energy is emitted or absorbed in integer multiples of [tex]h\nu[/tex].

neutrino said:
Energy is emitted or absorbed in integer multiples of [tex]h\nu[/tex].

If this is true, than the oscillator working on the frequency ½ Hz can’t emit the radiation. Or am I wrong?

n*h*(nu)...it's the 'n' that's restricted to integers, not nu.

If you look at those units for h, [tex]ML^2T^{-1}[/tex], you see that it does not represent a quantum of energy, but of action. This is why energy can increase or decrease by continuous amounts, it is only the action, e dt, that is quantized.

If this is true, than the oscillator working on the frequency ½ Hz can’t emit the radiation. Or am I wrong?

if we assume photon can have the largest wavelength of the size of the universe and assume universe is 10^26m

by forumla c=lamb*nu

you can compute smallest nu and energy E=H*nu

: Photon is an energy emitted from internal atom/molecule transitions. There is no other way i know of photon can be created.

sneez said:
if we assume photon can have the largest wavelength of the size of the universe and assume universe is 10^26m

by forumla c=lamb*nu

you can compute smallest nu and energy E=H*nu

: Photon is an energy emitted from internal atom/molecule transitions. There is no other way i know of photon can be created.

What about electron/positron pair annihilation, this creates gamma rays.

"What about electron/positron pair annihilation, this creates gamma rays"

Very good. I forgot about this.

I thought any change of charged particle trajectory should generate photon.

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is named after the German physicist Max Planck, who first introduced it in 1900.

2. What is the value of Planck's constant?

The value of Planck's constant is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule-seconds (J·s). This value is a fundamental constant and is the same for all particles and systems in the universe.

3. How is Planck's constant used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Planck's constant is used to calculate the energy of a particle or system based on its frequency. It is also used in the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles.

4. Why is Planck's constant important?

Planck's constant is important because it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is a fundamental constant that helps us explain various phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the photoelectric effect and atomic spectra.

5. How was Planck's constant discovered?

Planck's constant was discovered by Max Planck in 1900 while trying to explain the relationship between energy and frequency in blackbody radiation. He found that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, with the constant of proportionality being Planck's constant.