Find equilibruium position for charged partical problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium position for a charged particle problem involving three charged particles on the y-axis. It is determined that the third particle must be in between Q1 and Q2 in order for there to be equilibrium. Calculations are shown to determine the correct value for y.
FocusedWolf
Find equilibrium position for charged particle problem

3 charged particles on y axis. A third particle is somewhere such that the resultant force on it is zero.

What is distance from 0rigin of x y-axis to Q 3.

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/1.bmp

Node: for particle 3, that's the absolute value of 3 microcolumbs (not 131, those are absolute value things :P)... I'm assuming it's positive for this.

So I drew up a free body diagram for Forces on 3 net.

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/2.bmp

So,

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/3.bmp

Ok so how do I figure out which is the correct value of y?

[their are 3 image above...if you can't see them, then it'll look like i didn't do any work]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What range of values for y makes sense?

i'd say above Q1...so distance from y-axis =

2m + 5.84992=7.84992 or
2m + 2.29823=4.29823

hmm...unless... it's that distance (5.84992 or 2.29823) below q1 and under q2... that makes more sense.

so

2m - 5.84992=-3.84992 or
2m - 2.29823=-0.29823

below q1

Last edited:
Before you even start "turning the crank" on a problem such as this, first ask yourself: What region must the 3rd charge be in? There are three choices:
(1) Above Q1
(2) Between Q1 and Q2
(3) Below Q2
Only one region allows for the possibility of equilibrium. Which? (Think it through. Imagine that the third charge is a negative charge.) Once you figure out which region Q3 must be in, then you'll know which answer is correct.

I figured it out...only took a few days :rofl:

Q3 is the negative charge between q1 and q2.

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/work.png

I know the anser is right cause the it gets submitted online and was confirmed to be correct. Just don't know if my way of picking the right X is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to figure out which of the three potential regions is the only one that makes sense without doing any calculations. Realize that Q1 and Q2 are both positive. For Q3 above Q1 (or below Q2) the forces on Q3 would add instead of cancel. So the answer must be between Q1 and Q2.

What is the definition of equilibrium position in a charged particle problem?

The equilibrium position in a charged particle problem refers to the point at which the forces acting on the particle are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the particle will remain at rest or in a constant state of motion at this point.

How do you find the equilibrium position for a charged particle?

To find the equilibrium position for a charged particle, you must first determine the forces acting on the particle. This may include electric, magnetic, or gravitational forces. Once the forces are identified, you can use mathematical equations and principles such as Coulomb's Law to calculate the net force and determine the equilibrium position.

What factors affect the equilibrium position in a charged particle problem?

The equilibrium position in a charged particle problem is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the particle, the mass and charge of the particle, and the distance between the particle and other charged objects in the system. Changes in any of these factors can alter the equilibrium position.

Can there be multiple equilibrium positions in a charged particle problem?

Yes, there can be multiple equilibrium positions in a charged particle problem. This occurs when the forces acting on the particle are balanced at more than one point. In this case, the particle can be in a state of rest or constant motion at any of the equilibrium positions.

How can the equilibrium position in a charged particle problem be used in practical applications?

The concept of equilibrium position in a charged particle problem is used in various practical applications, such as designing circuits, understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, and calculating the stability of atomic and molecular structures. It is also essential in the study of phenomena such as static electricity, lightning, and plasma physics.