Calculate Dimensions of Box SpongeBob Square Pants to Make Volume > 100cm^3

In summary: If you have additional questions, please post them in a new thread.In summary, Sponge Bob Square Pants makes an open-topped box from a 30-cm by 30-cm piece of cardboard by cutting out equal squares from the corners and folding up the flaps to make the sides. The dimensions of each square, to the nearest hundredth of a centimetre, so that the volume of the resulting box is more than 100cm^3.
thomasrules
Sponge Bob Square Pants makes an open-topped box from a 30-cm by 30-cm piece of cardboard by cutting out equal squares from the corners and folding up the flaps to make the sides. What are the dimensions of each square, to the nearest hundredth of a centimetre, so that the volume of the resulting box is more than [tex]100cm^3[/tex]?

OK so its a cubic function, other than that no idea really. I thought what you could do was multiply [tex]30*30-4x^2 = Area of Box [/tex]because the squares are cut equaly so yea but don't know what that does me any good

Physics news on Phys.org
Sponge Bob Square Pants makes an open-topped box from a 30-cm by 30-cm piece of cardboard by cutting out equal squares from the corners and folding up the flaps to make the sides. What are the dimensions of each square, to the nearest hundredth of a centimetre, so that the volume of the resulting box is more than [tex]100cm^3[/tex]?

OK so its a cubic function, other than that no idea really. I thought what you could do was multiply [tex]30 * 30-4x^2 = [/tex]Area of Box because the squares are cut equaly so yea but don't know what that does me any good

BTW how do you do multiplication in TEX

Last edited:

OK so its a cubic function, other than that no idea really. I thought what you could do was multiply [tex]30 * 30-4x^2 = [/tex]Area of Box because the squares are cut equaly so yea but don't know what that does me any good

BTW how do you do multiplication in tex

OOPS made extra threads by accident, moderator delete these if you can

[tex]2x+y = 30[/tex]

[tex]2x+z = 30[/tex]

[tex](2x+y)(2x+z) = 900[/tex]

?

Last edited:
Can you write an expression for the VOLUMN of the box?

yea [tex]xyz > 100[/tex]

re: multiplication in tex

If you want to put a multiplication sign, it's \times
If you want to put a dot, you can use \cdot

If I gave you a box whose dimension (in units of metres) were:

length = [itex]l[/itex]
width = [itex]w[/itex]
height = [itex]h[/itex]

what would the volume of the resulting box be?

Last edited:
Thomas before you go writing out inequalities, first of all write down what the volume of a box is.

If I gave you a box whose dimensions (in units of metres) were:

length = [itex]l[/itex]
width = [itex]w[/itex]
height = [itex]h[/itex]

what would the volume of the resulting box be?

[itex]V=\ldots[/itex] ?

you now have 3 equation and 3 unknowns. (the first 2 in post #3 and the expression for volumn.

You can now, with some manipulation solve the system.

Box => use diagram :)

Consider the diagram:

http://123pichosting.com/thumbs/3498Dimensions of Box.JPG

Notice that the blue squares are the ones Sponge Bob cuts away, and that the resulting square base of the box has edge length 30cm - 2x so that the dimensions of the box when folded up are: x by (30cm - 2x) by (30cm - 2x). Try to go from here...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot benorin that diagram really made sense clearly to me

Ok i get it now [tex]x(30-2x)^2 = volume [/tex]

then find x right but how would I do that can I factor it?

I've merged the three threads.

1. How do I calculate the dimensions of the box for SpongeBob SquarePants to make a volume greater than 100cm^3?

To calculate the dimensions of the box, you will need to use the formula for volume: V = l x w x h. In this case, the volume is given as 100cm^3, so you will need to find three numbers that when multiplied together, equal 100. These numbers will represent the length, width, and height of the box.

2. Can I use any units for the dimensions of the box?

Yes, you can use any units as long as they are all the same. For example, if you use centimeters for the volume, you will need to use centimeters for the dimensions of the box as well.

3. How do I know if my calculations are correct?

You can check your calculations by plugging in the dimensions you have calculated into the formula for volume and making sure it equals 100cm^3. You can also use a calculator to double-check your calculations.

4. Can the dimensions of the box be fractional or must they be whole numbers?

The dimensions of the box can be either fractional or whole numbers. As long as the product of the three numbers is equal to 100, the box will have a volume greater than 100cm^3.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating the dimensions of the box?

Yes, in addition to the volume, you may also want to consider the shape and stability of the box. For example, a longer and thinner box may have the same volume as a shorter and wider box, but it may not be as stable. Also, consider if there are any other specific requirements for the box, such as fitting a certain object inside.