Pure Mathematics vs. Applied Mathematics: Which is Your Favorite Field?

In summary, a poll was conducted to determine people's preference between pure mathematics and applied mathematics. Some participants preferred pure mathematics for its elegance and beauty, while others preferred applied mathematics for its practicality and usefulness in solving real world problems. Some also mentioned that pure mathematics is like a form of art, while applied mathematics is like the world we live in. However, there were also those who voted for both, recognizing the inherent beauty in both fields. Some expressed their preference for applied mathematics as they were physicists and found the solutions applicable to their work. Overall, opinions were divided between the two fields, with some finding pure mathematics boring and others finding applied mathematics more interesting.

which one of the following do you prefer:

• Pure Mathematics

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Applied Mathematics

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
murshid_islam
hi, a poll has been going on about our favourite fields in mathematics. i decided to run a poll on broader topics, namely, pure mathematics and applied mathematics. which one do you guys prefer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Which one do you prefer and why ?

i prefer pure mathematics. i think its much more elegant and beautiful than applied mathematics. my feelings towards mathematics is a bit like that of Hardy's. :smile:

Last edited:
I prefer math to physics personally

I voted Applied Mathematics because the solutions are useful to me as a Physicist...

physics is logic and real while math is just abstractits ture that physics needs math to solve a problem but life is physics

Although I am a pure mathematician, I have voted "both of them". I think both pure and applied mathematics have their inherent beauty. Pure mathematics is like a form of art, it's existence is justified by itself. While the beauty of applied mathematics lies in it's power to solve real problems.

^nice analysis. But things like the prime number spiral are the domain of pure math, so that is where my vote went.

IMHO.

Pure math is boring.

Applied math is the world we live in, now that is interesting.

I like pure math to some degree, but I really like to see math applied in some sense. Pure math by itself is too much for me to bear.

As was mentioned earlier by desA, I voted applied maths as I'm a physicist. Speculative maths has too much rigor and abstraction!

elabed haidar said:
physics is logic and real while math is just abstractits ture that physics needs math to solve a problem but life is physics

That is why I like pure math. As far from life and all its messiness as possible.

What is the difference between pure maths and applied maths?

Pure maths, also known as theoretical maths, is the study of mathematical concepts and structures for their own sake, without any real-world applications in mind. On the other hand, applied maths uses mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Which one is more important, pure maths or applied maths?

Both pure maths and applied maths are equally important in their own ways. Pure maths is essential for developing new mathematical theories and concepts that can eventually be applied to solve real-world problems. Applied maths, on the other hand, is crucial for finding practical solutions to various problems in different fields.

Can someone be good at both pure maths and applied maths?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be skilled in both pure maths and applied maths. While they require different approaches and skills, many mathematicians have a strong foundation in both areas and are able to apply theoretical concepts to real-world problems.

Is it necessary to study pure maths before studying applied maths?

It is not necessary to study pure maths before studying applied maths. However, having a strong understanding of pure maths concepts can be beneficial for understanding the underlying principles of applied maths and its applications in different fields.

Can pure maths and applied maths be used together?

Absolutely! Pure maths and applied maths are closely interconnected and often work hand in hand to solve problems. Pure maths provides the theoretical foundation for applied maths, while applied maths uses pure maths concepts to address real-world issues.