Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion

• Thread starter wiiz
  • Start date
In summary: It is a concept which has been superceded by the concept of invariant mass. The correct concept of mass is invariant mass. The term mass should be taken to mean invariant mass unless otherwise specified.In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of mass and its relation to speed in both Newtonian mechanics and special relativity. The equation F=ma is still valid for slower speeds, but for speeds closer to or higher than the speed of light, the Einstein's equation must be used. There is a debate about whether mass changes with speed, with some arguing for relativistic mass and others arguing for invariant mass. It is important to specify which type of mass is being referred to in order to avoid confusion.
wiiz
Hello, this is my first post.
Some years back i read a book about einstein works. Among many things in the book, i read about his 'modified' Newton's equation of motion (F=ma). Sadly, i had lost the book and can't recall the equation. All i can remember is it says that the einstein's equation should be used when a body is moving at close to or higher than speed of light. The F=ma is still correct for motions slower than that.

I hope someone can tell me what is the equation.
Thanks.

p/s: English is not my 1st language, so i hope everbody can understand what I'm trying to say here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, funny you would say that, because Newton's 2nd law is about the only one that does hold! Only use the correct form, dp/dt = F, instead of the (incorrect for changing mass) F = m.a

Originally posted by Dimitri Terryn
Well, funny you would say that, because Newton's 2nd law is about the only one that does hold! Only use the correct form, dp/dt = F, instead of the (incorrect for changing mass) F = m.a

Mass does not change with speed. Both
[tex]F^\lambda = \frac{DP^\lambda}{d\tau}[/tex] and [tex]F^\lambda = mA^\lambda[/tex] work for relativity. The difference from Newtonian mechanics is primarily the time dilation encorporated in the proper time derivatives. These are the four vector relations. More than likely he is wanting to know the relation between ordinary force and coordinate acceleration for special relativity which is
[tex]\vec{f} = \gamma m[\vec{a} + \gamma ^{2}\frac{\vec{u}\cdot\vec{a}}{c^2}\vec{u}][/tex]. Even in this expression the mass m does not change with speed.

Originally posted by DW

[tex]\vec{f} = \gamma m[\vec{a} + \gamma ^{2}\frac{\vec{u}\cdot\vec{a}}{c^2}\vec{u}][/tex]. Even in this expression the mass m does not change with speed.

Well it does, because the as the force is applied and the mass accelerates its speed increases. As speed increases mass does, as according to the lorentz transformation. This is why it takes more and more force to accelerate an object at the same rate as the velocity approaches the speed of light. Its not the force equation that's wrong its the concept of mass being constant, its not. it increases with velocity.

The answer given by Dimitri is quite correct - it shows Newton's genius - even in the 16th Century his concept of force as the rate of change of momentum is still true even after Special Relativity. But in one sense, there does not have to be an actual change in mass - one can arrive at the same result in consequence of time dilation - i.e., if m is considered constant .. the effective inertia will still be greater, that is, the rate of time passage between two systems in relative motion requires a greater force to bring about the same change in velocity in a short duration relative to the longer duration measured in the dilated time frame.

Originally posted by franznietzsche
As speed increases mass does, as according to the lorentz transformation.

No it doesn't. The mass is invariant to the Lorentz transformation.

This is why it takes more and more force to accelerate an object at the same rate as the velocity approaches the speed of light. ...

No it is not. The extra factors (plural) of [tex]\gamma[/tex] come from the time dilation relating the proper time in the time derivatives of the relativistic law of motion [tex]F^\lambda = \frac{DP^\lambda}{d\tau} = mA^\lambda[/tex] to the coordinate time in the time derivatives of the ordinary force equation [tex]f^i = \frac{dP^i}{dt} = \gamma m[a^i + \gamma ^{2}\frac{\vec{u}\cdot\vec{a}}{c^2}u^i][/tex]. The particle is obeying a four vector force law of motion and the result is a diminishing coordinate acceleration at constant ordinary force. THAT is why the coordinate acceleration diminishes with speed for constant ordinary force. It has nothing to do with a changing mass as the mass does not change with speed. The mass is invariant to the Lorentz transformation.

Well it does, because the as the force is applied and the mass accelerates its speed increases. As speed increases mass does, as according to the lorentz transformation. This is why it takes more and more force to accelerate an object at the same rate as the velocity approaches the speed of light. Its not the force equation that's wrong its the concept of mass being constant, its not. it increases with velocity.

Yep. That is 100% correct so long as you're referring to relativistic mass. dw has the habit of referring to rest mass when others are discussing relativistic mass. Keep that in mind when you read his posts. His arguements have the nature of "Relativistic mass is not a function of speed because proper mass is invariant" since he will respond to someone discussing relativist mass with a statement which refers to the fact that proper mass is invariant. Thus his posts are always confusing on this issue.

These are the facts - they are undisputed in the relativity community
Fact #1) Relativistic mass is a function of speed.
Fact #2) Proper mass (aka rest mass) is not a function of speed.
Fact #3) When it comes to what "mass" means unqualified then different relativists mean different things.

Originally posted by Arcon
Yep. That is 100% correct so long as you're referring to relativistic mass.

No, he did not qualify it and call it relativistic mass and these days it is improper to use mass unqualified to refer to that. Mass unqualified used properly in todays terminology refers to that which is invariant. See
http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap3.htm

His arguements have the nature of "Relativistic mass is not a function of speed because proper mass is invariant"...

No they don't. They have the nature of mass is invariant and relativistic mass is an obsolete concept.

Originally posted by DW
No, he did not qualify it ...
When someone doesn't qualify the term mass then the meaning must be distilled from the context in which it is used. It is quite clear from the context that the person means relativistic mass and not proper mass. If you're unsure about what the person means then the appropriate thing to do is to ask them. Not assume they means something else and then attempt to correct.

You should have known from the content of my post that this was the point I was making clear for him.

..and call it relativistic mass and these days it is improper to use mass unqualified to refer to that.
That is incorrect. That is merely your personal opinion. Yes. It is a popular personal opinion. But one which is not universally adhered to. In fact Alan Guth himself told me personally that he finds the concept useful. He even uses it in his lecture notes in his MIT course The Early Universe.

Mass unqualified used properly in todays terminology refers to that which is invariant.
That is incorrect. Counter examples abound in the modern relativity literature. For the correct meaning of relativistic mass see http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/inertial_mass.htm. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

No they don't. They have the nature of mass is invariant and relativistic mass is an obsolete concept.
That is incorrect. This is a topic that has been debated for many decades. However he concept of mass as "invariant mass" cannot be given a general meaning. It is of limited use.

Plenty of recently published physics literature use the concept and use it quite succesfull. For example:

Cosmological Principles, John A. Peacock, Cambridge University Press, (1999)
Relativity: Special, General and Cosmological, Rindler, Oxford Univ., Press, (2001)
Basic Relativity, Richard A. Mould, Springer Verlag, (1994)
[/b]Introducing Einstein's Relativity,[/b] Ray D'Inverno, Oxford Univ. Press, (1992)

There was even an article published just recently in the American Journal of Physics on the concept of relativistic mass. There were a few others in the same journal too.

Apparatus to measure relativistic mass increase, John W. Luetzelschwab, Am. J. Phys. 71(9), 878, Sept. (2003).
Relativistic mass increase at slow speeds, Gerald Gabrielse, Am. J. Phys. 63(6), 568 (1995).
In defense of relativistic mass, T. R. Sandin, Am. J. Phys. 59(11) 1032 (1991).

Numerous references to examples contrary of dw's claim may be found at --
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/relativistic_mass.htm

However if you can prove that the terminology used in all these texts and journal articles is "obsolete" then please do so. Also define "obsolete" since you're not using it in the original meaning since, by definition (and in this context), something is only obsolete when it is never used in modern relativity literature. That is clearly incorrect as I've demonstrated to you on many occasions in the past.

Actually in that expression the quantity

[tex]\gamma m[/tex]

is
the mass being discussed. m is proper mass.

As long as people try to use a term before making crystal clear how that term is defined this type discussion will go on forever. The only question in this thread is what is the definition of the term "mass"? of which there are two answers (1) Relativistic Mass and (2) Proper Mass.

Actually in that expression the quantity

[tex]\gamma m[/tex]

is
the mass being discussed.

No, [tex]\gamma m[/tex] is the energy. m is the mass being discussed.

m is proper mass.

Actually m is the mass according to every frame, not just the proper frame.

The only question in this thread is what is the
definition of the term "mass"?
of which there are two answers (1) Relativistic Mass and (2) Proper Mass.

That wasn't the question posed for this thread, but anyway only one is correct in the context of modern relativistic physics terminology and that is the definition of mass as an invariant. And, it is the same value according to every frame, not just the value for the proper frame.

When someone doesn't qualify the term mass then the meaning must be distilled from the context in which it is used.

The context is modern relativistic terminology.

That is incorrect. That is merely your personal opinion. Yes. It is a popular personal opinion.

If it is the popular opinion then it is the modern relativistic terminology as I state and is not incorrect nor just my personal opinion. I am a bit surprised that you come right out and say here that the popular opinion (modern relativistic terminology) is incorrect.

In fact Alan Guth himself told me personally that he finds the concept useful. He even uses it in his lecture notes in his MIT course The Early Universe.

How unfortunate for his students.

That is incorrect. Counter examples abound in the modern relativity literature. For the correct meaning of relativistic mass see http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/inertial_mass.htm. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

That is your own site, not a referrence, and is wrong. Exceptions do not prevent the modern relativistic terminology from being what it is.

That is incorrect. This is a topic that has been debated for many decades. However he concept of mass as "invariant mass" cannot be given a general meaning. It is of limited use.

Just because you want everything I say to be wrong and without meaning does not make it so. It can and has been given a general meaning and its use is greater than that of relativistic mass which is what makes that an obsolete concept.

Cosmological Principles, John A. Peacock, Cambridge University Press, (1999)...

Instead of digging up every author you can find who still uses outdated terminology get up to speed with the modern terminology. See instead-
http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap3.htm
http://www.weburbia.demon.co.uk/physics/mass.html
"Space-Time Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler, 2nd edition, Freeman Press (1992).
"Does mass really depend on velocity, dad?" by Carl E Adler, American Journal of Physics 55, 739 (1987)
"The Principle of Relativity" by Einstein
"Concepts of mass" by Max jammer
"Einstein's Revolution" by Elie Zahar.
etc etc

However if you can prove that the terminology used in all these texts and journal articles is "obsolete" then please do so. ...

I already have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DW
No, [tex]\gamma m[/tex] is the energy.
That is incorrect. [tex]\gamma m[/tex] is the mass of the particle whose proper mass is m. The mass-energy, E, is [tex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/tex]. The mass being discussed is the velocity dependant mass as they've already told you - more than once I might add.

That wasn't the question posed for this thread, but anyway only one is correct in the context of modern relativistic physics terminology and that is the definition of mass as an invariant.
The question posed was the correct expression for force. In case you're unaware of this fact, people discuss many things in a thread other than the subject posted. i.e. they discuss things which pertain to the question.

And as I've demonstrated many times, several thousand times as I recall, you're claim that there is only one correct usage of the term mass is incorrect. The mass a particle is the time component of the particle's 4-momentum 4-vector. The energy of a particle is proportional to the time component of the particle's 4-momentum 2-form. I.e. m = P0/c, E = cP0.

If it is the popular opinion then it is the modern relativistic terminology as I state and is not incorrect nor just my personal opinion.
Not only wrong but also illogical.

I am a bit surprised that you come right out and say here that the popular opinion (modern relativistic terminology) is incorrect.
Then you've just proved what I've been saying all these years - You're not paying attention to what I've been teaching you. Because something is used more it doesn't mean that it's the correct usage. It only means that a particular group of individuals use it more. I.e. it's probably the case that more particle physicists use proper mass since it is the subject of their research. However it's also probably that more cosmologists/GRists use relativisitc mass since that is what they use more since it is relativistic mass which plays a role of source in general relativity that is analogous to the role charge plays as source in EM. One need only crack open a cosmology text to see that fact.

How unfortunate for his students.
Very typical of you waite. Belittle those who you don't agree with. Anyone would take Guth over you any day of the week.

That is your own site, not a referrence, and is wrong.
That is a lie. If you claim there is an error then state your case. Don't simply post a lie like this.

Exceptions do not prevent the modern relativistic terminology from being what it is.
An illogical conclusion and an illogical statement.

It can and has been given a general meaning and its use is greater than that of relativistic mass which is what makes that an obsolete concept.
Wrong.

Instead of digging up every author you can find who still uses outdated terminology get up to speed with the modern terminology.

Illogical assertion. I'm merely pointing out that you're claims are invalid and showing you why. I'm much more up to date with modern terminology than you are that's for certain.
"Space-Time Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler, 2nd edition, Freeman Press (1992).
Excellant text. However it only means that the authors made a choice different than other authors. However that text is over ten years old. If you're going to refer to "modern terminology" then buy a new text/book. E.g. all the texts I showed you were published after that text was. So I guess you're just not as up to date as you'd like to believe.
"Does mass really depend on velocity, dad?" by Carl E Adler, American Journal of Physics 55, 739 (1987)
Sorry waite but I read that article 5 years ago. Not a very good article. Almost every assertion that the author makes is incorrect.
"The Principle of Relativity" by Einstein
Einstein never wrote a book with that name. JHe wrote papers which appear in a collection of papers which are in a Dover book by that name. However it was Einstein that concluded that light has mass. That was his discovery. Not mine. However in that Dover book Einstein does say
The special theory of relativity has led to the conclusion that inert mass is nothing more or less than energy, which finds its complete mathematical expression in a symmetrical tensor of second rank, the energy-tensor.
Of course that is what I taught you here
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/mass_tensor.htm

In his real (i.e. mathematically rigorous) text "The Meaning of Relativity" Einstein does use the concept relativistic mass.
"Concepts of mass" by Max jammer
What about it? I've read that too. Is it your claim that Jammer agrees with you? On the contary. In the chapter "The Relativistic Concept" Jammer concludes
With increase of velocity, mass increases. It is thus also obvious that all associations with its historical predecessor, the quantitus materiae, are completely severed, as they were in the electromagnetic theory of matter.
However if you're going to refer to Jammer then don't refer to an ancient (but correct) book - see his new book Concepts of Mass in Contemporary Physics and Philosophy, Mass Jammer, Princeton University Press, (2000). He reviews this debate on mass and is a lot more open-minded that you are on this topic. For he concludes that chapter on relativistic mass with
Our analysis on the m vs mr debate has led us to the conclusion that the conflict between these two formalisms is ultimately the disparity between two competing views on the development of science.
However Jammer does show that it is relativistic mass which is the time component of 4-momentum and not energy.
"Einstein's Revolution" by Elie Zahar.
etc etc
Never heard of it. What's you're point? I know more than you do that there is a disagreement on this. You're claim is that there is none and everyone who does what you don't like is just plain wrong. That is an invalid and illogical conclusion.

And you've never proven anything to date. All you've managed to prove is that you can repeat your claims with no valid proof. E.g. all you've been doing is claiming that its incorrect to use it. That incorrect claim of yours is based on your misunderstanding of relativity. I.e. from what you've always posted you seem to think that just because relativistic mass does not appear in the equations of relativity when they are expressed on tensor form then its somehow wrong or not meaningful etc. That's an incorrect conclusion and it's based on your invalid assumption that the components of 4-vectors have no physical meaning or that time components have the same physical signifigace as spatial components - If that is not what you think then you sure give that impression.

For instance - time does not appear in the 4-tensor equations. Only proper time does. However that does not mean that time is meaningless or not relativisatically correct. Same with relativisitc mass - its the time component of 4-momentum. And no - it's not energy that is the time component - that is only an equality and not a definition which applies only to special relativity

That is incorrect. [tex]\gamma m[/tex] is the mass of the particle whose proper mass is m.

I already corrected you on that above.

The mass-energy, E, is [tex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/tex].

As I said, it was the energy.

The mass being discussed is the velocity dependant mass as they've already told you

No, as I've already told you mass does not change with speed.

The question posed was the correct expression for force.

The one I posted was, yes I know.

And as I've demonstrated many times, several thousand times as I recall, you're claim that there is only one correct usage of the term mass is incorrect. The mass a particle is the time component of the particle's 4-momentum 4-vector.

And you have been wrong thousands of times. The mass is not the time component. That is the energy. The mass is the center of momentum frame energy and for a free particle is the "length" so to speak of the momentum four vector. The mass is the m given by [tex](mc)^2 = g_{\mu} _{\nu} P^{\mu} P^{\nu}[/tex].

I.e. m = P0/c

No P0 is the energy.

E = cP0.

No this is only the case for special spacetime coorinates. Don't confuse the energy with the energy parameter for which even that is also not always P0.

(snipped a flame)

Because something is used more it doesn't mean that it's the correct usage.

Where it comes to jargon yes it does.

However it's also probably that more cosmologists/GRists use relativisitc mass since that is what they use more since it is relativistic mass which plays a role of source in general relativity that is analogous to the role charge plays as source in EM.

No a true relativity guy is more interested in what quantities are frame invariant as relativity is really a theory of invariance. Besides, only in a sufficiently low speed and linearized limit does that analogy hold valid in which case the energy in this analogy reduces only to the mass anyway.

One need only crack open a cosmology text to see that fact.

So you say.

(snipped some flames)

Anyone would take Guth over you any day of the week.

So you say.

(snipped some flames)

Wrong.

So you say.

However that text is over ten years old...

Yes and yet the terminology is modern, unlike some of the more recent inappropriate uses of "relativistic mass" in a few obscure sources you probably took several days to dig up.

Sorry waite but I read that article 5 years ago. Not a very good article. Almost every assertion that the author makes is incorrect.

So you say.

...However it was Einstein that concluded that light has mass. ...

No that was the fault of Plank Tolman and Lewis which was a concept for a time used by Einstein and then latter argued that it should be done away with by Einstein.

(snipped a flam)

This is your mistaken website, not a referrence.

In his real (i.e. mathematically rigorous) text "The Meaning of Relativity" Einstein does use the concept relativistic mass.

And latter argued against its use as I said.

...if you're going to refer to Jammer then don't refer to an ancient (but correct) book - see his new book Concepts of Mass in Contemporary Physics and Philosophy, Mass Jammer, Princeton University Press, (2000). ...

Neither book is anchient, but the "relativistic mass" terminology is obsolete no matter the order of publication.

(snipped a flame)

However Jammer does show that it is relativistic mass which is the time component of 4-momentum and not energy.

And he is wrong. It is the energy, just not the energy parameter.

(snipped flames and speculations about what I think)

For instance - time does not appear in the 4-tensor equations. Only proper time does. However that does not mean that time is meaningless or not relativisatically correct. Same with relativisitc mass - its the time component of 4-momentum.

Arguement by analogy is not logical.

And no - it's not energy that is the time component - that is only an equality and not a definition which applies only to special relativity

Yes it is. You are confusing particle energy which by definition is that element just as by definition energy density of a distribution is [tex]T^{00}[/tex] with the energy parameter which is not always that element.

Last edited:
Originally posted by DW
I already corrected you on that above.
As I said, it was the energy.
I know what you wrote. I know what you claimed. What you wrote and what you claimed are both wrong. First off it should be obvious to anyone that E and m = m_o/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2] have different dimensions and they are defined differerently

No, as I've already told you mass does not change with speed.
Proper mass is not change with speed. Relativistic mass changes with speed. Please explain what part of that fact you're having trouble understanding.

Since both yogi and Dimitri are talking about a change in mass with speed they are talking about relativistic mass. If you don't believe me then simply ask then and they'll tell you. If you're uncertain what a person means then you should always ask them.

And you have been wrong thousands of times. The mass is not the time component. That is the energy.
And each of those thousand times you were wrong.

No P0 is the energy.
Wrong. That is only proportional to energy in some cases. I've proven that fact to you several times.

No this is only the case for special spacetime coorinates. Don't confuse the energy with the energy parameter for which even that is also not always P0.
Now you're chosing to create new terminology for some reason. There is no such thing as an "energy parameter" - There is only energy. Please learn what energy is.

(snipped a flame)
Please do not start trouble yet again. Learn how to take criticism

This is your mistaken website, not a referrence.

[/quote
Please stop lying

Neither book is anchient, but the "relativistic mass" terminology is obsolete no matter the order of publication.
Incorrect. A claim you make and can't back up

No that was the fault of Plank Tolman and Lewis which was a concept for a time used by Einstein and then latter argued that it should be done away with by Einstein.
Incorrect. Tolman and Lewis were referring to the mass of normal particles (i.e. particles with non-zero proper mass). Not radiation/light. Einstein assigned mass to radiation in his 1906 paper The Principle of Conservation of the Center of Gravity and the Inertia of Energy, Albert Einstein, Annalen der Physik, 20 (1906): 626-633. That was three years before Tolman and Lewis. I.e. Einstein said
If we assign the electromagnetic field too a mass density ..
Einstein never argued that one should not say that light has mass. He argued that one should not say that the mass of a particle is M = m_0/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2].
Arguement by analogy is not logical.
Illogical statement and illogical conclusion. I was explaining to you that the components of 4-vectors are physically meaningful. If you don't understand an analogy please explain what part of it you don't understand and I'll explain it to you.

Only proper time appears in the expression for 4-force etc. Do you think that means that time is an obsolete quantity and nobody in relativity uses it anymore?

Yes it is. You are confusing particle energy which by definition is that element just as by definition energy density of a distribution is [tex]T^{00}[/tex] with the energy parameter which is not always that element.
Incorrect. Try to back up your claims rather than simply repeat them.

yogi and Dimitri - When you used the term "mass" above, i.e. when you said it changes with speed, did you mean proper mass (aka "rest mass"), m0 or did you mean relativistic mass, m = m0/sqrt{1-(v/c)2}?

... First off it should be obvious to anyone that E and m = m_o/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2] have different dimensions and they are defined differerently

That depends on your choice of units alone and so is irrelevent.

Proper mass is not change with speed. Relativistic mass changes with speed.

And the mass which you call proper is the mass according to every frame, not just the proper frame. It is invariant.

(snipped flame)

Since both yogi and Dimitri are talking about a change in mass with speed they are talking about relativistic mass.

I don't care if they meant "relativistic mass". They just said "mass" and as I corrected, that does not change with speed.

(snipped flame)

Wrong. That is only proportional to energy in some cases. I've proven that fact to you several times.

No it is the energy by definition. You are confusing energy with energy parameter again.

Now you're chosing to create new terminology for some reason. There is no such thing as an "energy parameter" - There is only energy. Please learn what energy is.

Just because you haven't learned GRs terminology doesn't mean that I am making it up. See-
http://tinyurl.com/2ne2b

(snipped flame)

Incorrect. A claim you make and can't back up

So you say.

Incorrect. Tolman and Lewis were referring to the mass of normal particles (i.e. particles with non-zero proper mass). Not radiation/light.

No their relativistic mass concept was energy which includes light.

Einstein never argued that one should not say that light has mass.

Yes he did.

He argued that one should not say that the mass of a particle is M = m_0/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2].

As I said, he did. Now you just PROVED my point. He argued against the use of the concept in his later years as demonstrated by your own quote which is a part of why the modern terminology does not encorporate it.

(snipped flames)

Only proper time appears in the expression for 4-force etc. Do you think that means that time is an obsolete quantity and nobody in relativity uses it anymore?

We are not talking about time or any other coordinate. The relativity of spacetime coordinates is not analogous to the invariance of physics.

Incorrect...

So you say.

Last edited:
Originally posted by DW
That depends on your choice of units alone and so is irrelevent.
Incorrect. Once more you're confusing the distinction between an equality with that of a definition. If what you claim is true then the frequency of a photon would would have the same physical meaning as the energy of the photon since E = hf for a photon. But that is quite untrue. In fact nothing could be further from the truth. Just because two quantities are proportional it does not mean that they have the same physical meaning. Arguing otherwise is like saying that momentum density is not really momentum density because it's proportional to energy flux. Please learn the difference between equality and definition.

If you're confident in your claim then prove that m_o*c*dt/dT is the energy of a particle under all circumstances.

And the mass which you call proper is the mass according to every frame, not just the proper frame. It is invariant.
Depends on how mass is defined.

I don't care if they meant "relativistic mass". They just said "mass" and as I corrected, that does not change with speed.
That is incorrect. If you don't care what they meant then you're being rather rude. The purpose of this forum is discussion and learning. Why don't you want to know what they mean? Besides - it has never been the case that just because someone uses the term "mass" it means "proper mass." That you keep assuming that is why your posts are always confusing to people.
No it is the energy by definition. You are confusing energy with energy parameter again.
Incorrect. An assertion you've never been able to back up - one that you've only been able to constantly repeat.

No their relativistic mass concept was energy which includes light.
Both incorrect as well as irrelevant. I was explaining to you that it was Einstein, not Tolman who proved that radiation has mass.

And as I've explained - Einstein never argued that one should not say that light has mass. When you repeat "Yes he did." all that means to me is that you can only repeat your statement. Try to prove your claim rather than repeat your claim.

Now you just PROVED my point. He argued against the use of the concept in his later years as demonstrated by your own quote which is a part of why the modern terminology does not encorporate it.
Incorrect. I though that I've already explained this to you. Einstein argued against M = m_0/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2]. He did not argue against M = m_o*dt/dT and it was that which he held to be the mass of a slowly moving particle, not m_o. And it is m_o*dt/dT which is the correct/modern definition of relativistic mass. In fact this is very important in GR where dt/dT does not always equal 1/sqrt[1-(v/c)^2]. It is for this reason that Einstein said that mass increases when its near other masses. You were the one who brought up Einstein. Are you now going to abandon him now that I've shown you that you didn't know what you were talking about?

By the way. I asked you a question. Why didn't you answer my question? I asked you why you referred to Jammer's book when Jammer argues against your claim?

Also, it you feel capable of it, prove that the magnitude of the energy-momentum 4-vector is rest mass and not rest energy. Claims that they are proportional are invalid according to you so no argument based on proportionality will be valid.

out of control again

under review

1. What is Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion?

Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion, also known as the relativistic equation of motion, is a fundamental formula in physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass, its velocity, and the forces acting upon it. It incorporates Einstein's theory of special relativity, which accounts for the effects of high speeds and large masses on an object's motion.

2. How is Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion different from the original equation?

Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion differs from the original equation of motion proposed by Isaac Newton in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and large masses on an object's motion. This is in contrast to Newton's equation, which only applies to objects moving at low speeds and with small masses.

3. What is the significance of Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion?

Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion is significant because it allows for more accurate predictions of an object's motion, particularly at high speeds and with large masses. It also helped to reconcile discrepancies between Newton's laws of motion and the predictions of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

4. Is Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion used in everyday applications?

While the equation itself may not be directly used in everyday applications, its principles and concepts are applied in various technologies such as GPS systems, satellite communication, and particle accelerators. Its use in these applications allows for more precise calculations and predictions.

5. Is Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion a universal law of motion?

No, Einstein's Modified Newton's Equation of Motion is not considered a universal law of motion. It is a more accurate description of motion at high speeds and with large masses, but it does not apply to all situations. Other laws and theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, are needed to fully describe the behavior of objects in the universe.