Learn to Use OrCAD 10 for 1-Channel Audio Amplification

In summary, the person is trying to learn how to use OrCad 10 demo versions to lay out a basic audio amplification schematic. They are seeking help on how to add a power source and simulate the circuit, and there is an error in the potentiometer portion of the schematic. They also ask for assistance in adding an AC source and fixing the error in the schematic. The expert suggests using VSIN in PSPICE or VAC in OrCad to add an AC source. They also explain the importance of running current through the wiper of a potentiometer to prevent noise buildup.
KingNothing
Hi...I'm trying to learn how to use these programs. I have the demo versions of OrCad 10...The whole suite. I've been trying to lay out a basic 1-channel audio amplification schematic. I've attached what I have so far. Can someone explain to me how to add a power source, and how to simulate this?

Attachments

• Amplifier.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see an attachment :confused:

For adding a power source, do you just mean Place Power... ? Or do you mean something else as in the sense of an AC source to use in an AC simulation?

Also, there is an error in the potentiometer portion of your schematic. (Beyond the strange choice of value 500k.) Hint -- why is zero wiper current a bad idea with a potentiometer?

Yes, how do I add an AC source? Also, can you maybe fix what is wrong with it and send it back to me? Thanks a lot.

KingNothing said:
Yes, how do I add an AC source? Also, can you maybe fix what is wrong with it and send it back to me? Thanks a lot.

Are you using PSPICE or the orcad lite suite?

In PSPICE you can add the part:
VSIN

And example setting would be:
VOFF=0
VAMP=1
FREQ=1k

This gives you a 2Vpp sinusoid at 1kHZ.

The orcad version is much more involved (from my limited use of it), and it would probably be more beneficial to pick up a tutorial/guide book.

EDIT: I just looked at your file, and I see that you are using the orcad suite. I have a different parts library (it came with the tutorial). I believe we used VAC as the part. It might be best to just disregard what I said above, and wait for someone who is more knowledgeable to help you.

I hope I didn't add any confusion.

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
Also, can you maybe fix what is wrong with it and send it back to me?
It's not hard to fix. Just make sure that you run some current through the wiper of any potentiometer. The pot datasheet may list a number, or you can just use a few percent of whatever the main pot current is. The issuse is that if there is zero or almost-zero wiper current, the contact can become noisy over time. An opamp input current is generally too low to qualify, so you need to configure your pot circuit to have some wiper current included.

1. What is OrCAD 10 and why is it used for audio amplification?

OrCAD 10 is a computer-aided design (CAD) software used in the field of electronics. It is specifically designed for circuit design and analysis, making it a popular choice for audio amplification projects. OrCAD 10 allows for precise and efficient designing, simulation, and testing of audio amplifier circuits.

2. Can OrCAD 10 be used for other types of circuits besides audio amplification?

Yes, OrCAD 10 can be used for a variety of circuit designs, including but not limited to power supplies, analog circuits, digital circuits, and mixed-signal circuits. It is a versatile software that can handle complex circuit designs and simulations.

3. Do I need prior knowledge of electronics to use OrCAD 10 for audio amplification?

While prior knowledge of electronics is helpful, it is not necessary to use OrCAD 10 for audio amplification. The software has a user-friendly interface and provides tutorials and resources for beginners. However, having a basic understanding of electronics principles can make the learning process smoother.

4. How accurate are the simulations performed by OrCAD 10 for audio amplification?

The accuracy of simulations in OrCAD 10 depends on the accuracy of the input data and models used. With proper setup and selection of appropriate models, OrCAD 10 can provide highly accurate and reliable simulations for audio amplifier circuits.

5. Is OrCAD 10 compatible with other software for audio amplification projects?

OrCAD 10 is compatible with a variety of other CAD and simulation software, making it easy to integrate into existing design processes. It also allows for importing and exporting of files in different formats, making it easy to collaborate with others who may be using different software for audio amplification projects.