Electric Permittivity: Exploring its Meaning

In summary, electric permittivity is a characteristic of materials that polarizes when in contact with an electric or magnetic field, thus reducing the force of the field.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

What is a good interpretation of electric permittivity? If you look at Coulomb's law, it seems that the electric field due to a given source charge is inversely proportional to the permittivity of the medium where the charge is located. Furthermore, the electric permittivity of a simple dielectric medium is larger than the permittivity of free space, which leads to the result that its refractive index is > 1, i.e. the higher the permittivity of the medium, the slower EM waves will propagate through it. If I'm interpreting this right, then it seems kind of counterintuitive to call the quantity "permittivity". Why isn't it called electric "restrictivity" or something like that? What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
Hi,

What is a good interpretation of electric permittivity? If you look at Coulomb's law, it seems that the electric field due to a given source charge is inversely proportional to the permittivity of the medium where the charge is located. Furthermore, the electric permittivity of a simple dielectric medium is larger than the permittivity of free space, which leads to the result that its refractive index is > 1, i.e. the higher the permittivity of the medium, the slower EM waves will propagate through it. If I'm interpreting this right, then it seems kind of counterintuitive to call the quantity "permittivity". Why isn't it called electric "restrictivity" or something like that? What am I missing?

You are correct in saying that permittivity of materials is higher than permittivity of free space. And yes, the higher the permittivity is the smaller the E-field will be so it seems like it should be called something like "restrictivity". I don't know why it is called permittivity...I didn't name it. Someone had to name it and came up with permittivity..I dunno.

However, it does tell us how the E-field is permitted to pass through various media...however the degree to which the material is permitted simply varies inversely with the permittivity. There's not THAT much wrong with it I guess.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to shed some insight.

I think electric permitivity is a characteristic of a material to polarize when in contact with an electric or magnetic field, thus reducing the force of the field. Is that right?

Kind of like...
the electric field is the amount of money one has to distribute and the permittivity is the amount people taking that money. The more people who take the money, the less money or electric or magnetic field there is to polarize something else. If no one shows up to get any money, then that is maximum permitivity (=1) and the money passes thru unabaded just a an electric field is equal to

Electric Field =Q/permittivity. Q/1 is Q

Is this a fair analogy?

What is electric permittivity?

Electric permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is a physical constant that describes the relationship between the electric field and the electric displacement within a material.

How is electric permittivity measured?

Electric permittivity is typically measured in units of farads per meter (F/m). This unit represents the amount of charge that can be stored per unit of electric field. It can also be measured using relative permittivity, which is the ratio of the electric permittivity of a material to that of free space.

What factors affect electric permittivity?

The electric permittivity of a material is affected by several factors, including the type of material, temperature, and frequency of the applied electric field. Dielectric materials, such as ceramics and polymers, tend to have higher electric permittivity than conductive materials like metals.

Why is electric permittivity important?

Electric permittivity plays a crucial role in many areas of science and technology. It is used to understand the behavior of electric fields in materials and is essential in the design of electronic components, such as capacitors and antennas. It also helps in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation through different materials.

What are some real-world applications of electric permittivity?

Electric permittivity has numerous practical applications, including in the development of high-performance electronic devices, such as smartphones, computers, and televisions. It is also used in the production of insulating materials for power transmission and in the manufacturing of medical equipment, such as MRI machines.