Can a Metal Box Effectively Shield a Sensitive Magnetic Instrument?

In summary: I only beat you because you were taking the time to find a nice figure for the explanation. I looked briefly and gave up. :blushing:
Amith2006
1)A sensitive magnetic instrument can be shielded very effectively from outside fields by placing it inside a box of :
a)teak wood
b)plastic material
c)soft iron of high permeability
d)a metal of high of conductivity
The electric lines of force cannot penetrate a closed metal box. But I don’t know about magnetic lines of forces. Can someone clear my doubt? The answer would be either {c} or (d).

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the magnetic flux in a substance with a high permeability when compared to air?

Hootenanny said:
What can you say about the magnetic flux in a substance with a high permeability when compared to air?

In a substance with high permeability the magnetic flux will be high. So do u mean that soft iron cannot be used as its permeability is high?

Amith2006 said:
In a substance with high permeability the magnetic flux will be high. So do u mean that soft iron cannot be used as its permeability is high?
Quite the reverse actually. The magnetic flux will be 'redirected' into the soft iron rather than the air and therefore the flux will be 'deflected' around whatever is inside the box. Does that make sense?

Hootenanny said:
Quite the reverse actually. The magnetic flux will be 'redirected' into the soft iron rather than the air and therefore the flux will be 'deflected' around whatever is inside the box. Does that make sense?
I didn't understand entirely what u said. With whatever I have understood, I have the drawn the lines of forces that would exist inside the soft iron box. Is it right?

Attachments

• lines of force.JPG
    lines of force.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 705
Amith2006 said:
I didn't understand entirely what u said. With whatever I have understood, I have the drawn the lines of forces that would exist inside the soft iron box. Is it right?
Good first try, but you need to show a finite thickness to the box, and show how the external field lines get concentrated inside the walls of the box, thus bypassing the volume inside the box. Give it another shot and I'll approve the pending attachment as soon as I can.

Amith2006 said:
Not entirely the magnetic flux should not extend inside the cavity in the box, just in the material of the soft iron core itself as in this image;

1-18.gif

Taken from http://www.tpub.com/

Think about how the magnetic permittivity relates to the magnitude of flux through an object.

Edit: Guess berkeman beat me to it. Does mentorship come will free typing lessons? :tongue2:

Last edited:
I have understood now. Thanks.

Hootenanny said:
Edit: Guess berkeman beat me to it. Does mentorship come will free typing lessons? :tongue2:
I only beat you because you were taking the time to find a nice figure for the explanation. I looked briefly and gave up. :blushing:

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on a charged particle or on a magnetic dipole. This force is responsible for the motion of charged particles and is also used in many technological applications such as electric motors and generators.

2. How is a magnetic field inside a box created?

A magnetic field inside a box is created by passing an electric current through a wire or by using a permanent magnet. The magnetic field lines are then confined within the boundaries of the box, creating a uniform magnetic field inside.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field inside a box?

The properties of a magnetic field inside a box include its strength, direction, and uniformity. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the amount of current or the strength of the magnet used to create it. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, and the field is considered uniform if the strength and direction remain constant throughout the box.

4. How does a magnetic field inside a box affect charged particles?

A magnetic field inside a box can exert a force on charged particles that are either moving through the field or placed within the field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle. This force is what allows for the manipulation and control of charged particles in many technological applications.

5. Can a magnetic field inside a box be manipulated?

Yes, a magnetic field inside a box can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the current passing through the wire or by using different types of magnets. This manipulation can also be achieved by changing the shape or material of the box, which can affect the uniformity and strength of the magnetic field inside.