The Schrodinger Equation solved piece by piece

In summary, The derivation of the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom and the general solutions for R, Theta, and Phi can be found in various references such as Pauling's book Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications in Chemistry and Feynman's lectures on physics. Another recommended reference is Griffiths' "Quantum Mechanics". Feynman's approach involves using rotation matrices to find the amplitude of the electron being in a certain state, while Griffiths provides a more mathematical approach.
Savachie
I am looking for a detailed step by step derivation of the Schrodinger Eqn. where one will obtain the general solutions for R, Thetha, and Phi for the hydrogen atom. If someone could direct me to a reference of these derivations explained step by step it would be of great help.

[b(] --Wall never gets softer, at least for students!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Pauling's book Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications in Chemistry has a derivation. I don't think the book is worth buying however so look for it in a library.

The solution is too mathematical for me. I instead like how Feynman derives the eigenfunctions for hydrogen in The Feynman Lectures on Physics. The chapters before the hydrogen atom derive the rotation matrices. After that, Feynman argues that for a given total angular momentum quantum number, if you look at the wave function along the z-axis, then since in the nonrelativistic approximation you're neglecting the electron's spin, the z-angular momentum has to be all orbital angular momentum, but you can't have a z-component of orbital angular momentum if the electron is on the z-axis, so only in the m=0 state can the electron be found in the axis direction. So for any quantum numbers of total angular momentum and angular momentum about an axis, you project the angular momentum to another axis using the rotation matrices, and find the amplitude that the new state will be found with angular momentum zero about that axis. You multiply this "spherical harmonic" by something which is a function of just the radius, dump it back into the Schrodinger equation, and then it becomes easier to work with - you don't have to define the "Legendre" or whatever polynomials.

If you're familiar with the rotation matrices, then I suggest this method as opposed to the full blown mathematical approach.

see griffiths "Quantum Mechanics".

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a particular location and time.

2. How is the Schrodinger Equation solved piece by piece?

The Schrodinger Equation is solved piece by piece by breaking it down into smaller, solvable parts. This is known as the "separation of variables" method, where the equation is separated into time-dependent and space-dependent parts. Each part is then solved independently, and the solutions are combined to get the final solution.

3. What are the applications of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation has numerous applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and material science. It is used to study the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, understand chemical reactions, and design new materials with specific properties.

4. Can the Schrodinger Equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Schrodinger Equation cannot be solved analytically, meaning there is no exact mathematical solution. Instead, approximations and numerical methods are used to solve the equation. However, there are a few simple systems where the equation can be solved analytically, such as the particle in a box and the harmonic oscillator.

5. What is the importance of the Schrodinger Equation in modern physics?

The Schrodinger Equation is a cornerstone of modern physics and has revolutionized our understanding of the microscopic world. It has led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has had a significant impact on technology, medicine, and our understanding of the universe. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level.