Whom do you respect more as President - Bill Clinton or George W. Bush?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary: Bush's beliefs kind of threaten the notion of the separation between church and state.So you think Bush is a religious dictator?I think Bush is a religious dictator.

Whom do you respect more as President - Bill Clinton or George W. Bush?

• Bill Clinton

Votes: 53 71.6%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I respect neither

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I respect both equally

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Kurdt said:
So the US has a single religious denomination imposed by a central government that subscribes to that religion's dogma?

No...I never said that. Christians, Jews and Muslems all are part of our governmental process.

kyleb said:
Huh, so then apparently you think Thomas Jefferson was off his rocker when he referred to the Establishment Clause as a "wall of separation between church and state"?

The establishment clause is supposed to prevent the central government from starting their own church and forcing their residents to adhere to it, i.e. like the Church of England where if you are not a member you were persecuted, i.e. like the Pilgrims who left England to help form this country.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
No...I never said that. Christians, Jews and Muslems all are part of our governmental process.

I know you didn't say it. It was 3:30 AM when i replied where I am so I was in no fit state. :smile:

russ_watters said:
The question wasn't asking whether either one was a good president. I respect my boss much more than either of them, but he'd make a worse President than both combined.
I put neither, but I agree with Russ that the question is more about character than competence.

Both exhibit particularly weak character traits for a President. I guess if I had to choose, the likelihood that Bush's substance abuse problems over a significant portion of his life were fairly serious would probably make me choose Clinton, but Clinton certainly hasn't led the kind of life that would get much respect from me, either.

It really makes me wonder about an entire generation of Americans when you get 16 consecutive years of draft dodgers, lechers, and alcoholics running the country and the argument is about which one deserves the most respect.

BobG said:
I put neither, but I agree with Russ that the question is more about character than competence.
But how can you separate the two, as if there were no causation between them?

An intellectually lazy person with no respect for truth, no sense of value for responsibility and no desire to change will only be incompetent. In my opinion, your level of competence is strongly correlated to your character.

How is infidelity a character flaw, but disrespect for truth not? Heck, they're virtually the same thing!

Last edited:
BobG said:

personally i find competence to be a respectable characteristic

Dr Transport said:
The establishment clause is supposed to prevent the central government from starting their own church and forcing their residents to adhere to it, i.e. like the Church of England where if you are not a member you were persecuted, i.e. like the Pilgrims who left England to help form this country.
That defiantly was an issue of concern for our founding fathers. But again, according to Thomas Jefferson it is intended to produce "a wall of separation between church and state." So I am still curious to know; do you think he was out of his gourd when making that claim or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
That defiantly was an issue of concern for our founding fathers. But again, according to Thomas Jefferson it is intended to produce "a wall of separation between church and state." So I am still curious to know; do you think he was out of his gourd when making that claim or not?

I wouldn't say that he was out of his gourd, I think he saw evidence that countries where there the state religion was the government definite problems arose. For example, (maybe this wasn't evident at the time) look at the middle east, it was the cradle of civilized society, after the Muslim religion became a powerhouse they lost many traces of their excellence in everything. I'm not picking on the Muslims, far from it, but given the middle east's head start, you would think that they would be the leaders of civilization in all things intellectual. Historians have pieced together from artifacts that there was an advanced civilization, and it was destryed about the time that the Muslim religion took a foothold and became a dominant force.

I know that Jefferson had the evidence for the Church of England being tyranical and this was the genesis of the establishment clause.

BobG's comments reflect somewhat my views as does Gokul's comments.

I find both Bush and Clinton to be morally impaired and weak of character, especially when it comes to important matters.

Both Bush and Clinton have failed when it comes to honesty, but Bush is by far the worse of the two.

Both Bush and Clinton avoided military service in Vietnam. With family connections, Bush was allowed to sign up in the Air National Guard, while Clinton (like Cheney, Gingrich and others) used educational deferments - yet those opposed to Clinton emphasize Clinton's avoidance of the draft while overlooking those of others.

Did Cheney Dodge The Draft Five Times? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Clinton has a great intellectual capacity, unlike Bush, but he wasted much of it. Clinton's foreign policy was appalling and his domestic policy was not much better. Bush's foreign policy is a disaster - and continues in steep decline - and the domestic policy is poor.

The entire point of a representative system is that you elect someone who will make his/her own decisions.
This is somewhat true, however it's more the case that the political representatives should think and decide matters independently, and not under the influence of personal interest or interests of others. The representative must be honest and righteous (i.e. must have integrity), otherwise the system fails. A political representative, e.g. Duke Cunningham, could make his (or her) own decision to act illegally, but then the representative system has failed.

It's been a while since I checked the score, but I'd be surprised if Clinton's admin doesn't still hold the record for resignations due to incompetence. Bush's worst (Brown) was far worse than any of Clinton's based on severity of the problem, but Clinton played the incompetence lottery with much higher-level appointees.
This would make an interesting comparison, but the incompetence in the Bush administration goes all the way to the top - i.e. Bush himself. Bush's SecDef, Rumsfeld, was certainly incompetent. Rice (National Security and State) has been viewed as incompetent.

As for Bush, it appears to me that Bush does for personal reasons, as much as Clinton did. For Clinton, the motivation might have been winning the next election, but for Bush, it seems to be about power and control over the lives of other people and that has lead to an imperious foreign policy. While Bush may claim he is acting for the 'good of the country', it appears to me that Bush is incapable of understanding what is 'good for the country'.

In short, if Clinton was bad, Bush is worse.

Bill played around a bit - Bush started an unjust war.

This poll's a no-brainer.

As a person, Clinton is 100* the man Bush could ever dream to be.
As a President, bush had the stronger political will, rather not he, but his cronies did. Shame that, that will was such a force for bad in the world.

So all in all Clinton wins, however History will remember Bush with more vigor, but not for any good reasons. Perhaps as being the fundamental extreem answer (wrong answer) to a (polar) extreemist problem...

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Clinton's every move was motivated by how it would affect the next election, not what he actually thought was best for the country.

I've watched this thread and refrained from posting, but I can no longer. I have a question with the statement that Clinton's every move was motivated by how it would affect the next election. Are you saying that this was the only thing that motivated him? For the record, I don't believe that for a minute.

i'm surprised to see so many Americans that don't like George Bush...quite rightly though! (my personal opinion: he's a liar and a murderer)

Averagesupernova said:
I've watched this thread and refrained from posting, but I can no longer. I have a question with the statement that Clinton's every move was motivated by how it would affect the next election. Are you saying that this was the only thing that motivated him? For the record, I don't believe that for a minute.

We know he had at least one other interest. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Russ, since when is that any indictment on a US politician?