Evanescent Wave Coupling & Quantum Tunneling

In summary: For example, I could not find any references online to wireless electricity being improved by resonance.
Phinks
Hi, this is my first post here so apologies for any faux-pas I inadvertly do.

Anyways, to the subject at hand.

Evanescent Wave Coupling -> abbrv. -> EWC

Can someone explain to me evanescent (decaying) waves work?

I have been reading a wiki article about EWC, and it made many references to these waves in a magnetic field. It talked about how this waves have no energy, unless the are received by something with the same which resonates at the same frequency. Therefore using the theory of electrical resonance.

How can a wave have no energy? I realize that a simple sine wave has a net effect of zero mathematically, but its still through around positive and negative peaks; and therefore still has energy. It could be something to do with it being a magnetic field though, my knowledge is getting shakey.

It has something to do with quantum tunneling apperently.

The practical use of EWC is for wireless electricty, that does not affect other electronics (in the way that Inductive Coupling does). My understanding of it is a HF oscillating magnetic field is produced from a transmitter, and reaches a reciever where it induces a current (Lenz's Law of Induction), and the efficiency is increased by electrical resonance of the same frequency as the transmitter.

I think I've confused myself as much as anyone else, so please ask for any details I've missed.

Thanks in advanced,
Phinks

Physics news on Phys.org
*bump*

I am also interested in comments to this question.

There's a difference between having and transmitting energy.

The simple example of evanescent waves would be something like "total internal reflection" of, say, ocean surface waves encountering a (depth) boundary at an angle, and noting that if this bounding region is very narrow then the strength of reflection decreases (transmission/"coupling" occurs). My point is that it is a common classical wave effect, not something peculiar to quantum mechanics (aka. wave mechanics).

Do you have a source for that "practical use"?

What is evanescent wave coupling?

Evanescent wave coupling is a phenomenon in which two mediums with different refractive indices are brought into close proximity, causing the electromagnetic fields to interact and transfer energy between them. This coupling is a result of the evanescent wave, which is an exponentially decaying electromagnetic field that extends beyond the boundary of the medium.

How does evanescent wave coupling contribute to quantum tunneling?

Evanescent wave coupling plays a crucial role in quantum tunneling, which is the phenomenon where particles can pass through energy barriers that they would not be able to overcome according to classical physics. The evanescent wave can interact with particles on the other side of the barrier, allowing them to tunnel through and reach the other side.

What is the importance of quantum tunneling in modern technology?

Quantum tunneling has many applications in modern technology, including in the fields of electronics, microscopy, and telecommunications. It is used in devices such as tunnel diodes, scanning tunneling microscopes, and quantum tunneling transistors to manipulate and detect particles at the quantum level.

Can evanescent wave coupling and quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

While the effects of evanescent wave coupling and quantum tunneling are not directly observable in everyday life, they play a crucial role in many natural processes and technological advancements. For example, photosynthesis in plants relies on quantum tunneling to transfer energy between molecules, and evanescent wave coupling is involved in the functioning of optical fibers used in telecommunication systems.

What are the potential implications of further research on evanescent wave coupling and quantum tunneling?

Further research on evanescent wave coupling and quantum tunneling has the potential to lead to advancements in various fields, such as quantum computing, energy harvesting, and sensing technologies. It can also deepen our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and pave the way for new discoveries and innovations.