Need the correct time dependent function

In summary, the equation of motion of a free electron in an electric field is given by m((d^2)x)/(dt^2) = -eE (Eq. 1). When x and E have the time dependence exp(iwt), the equation simplifies to -(w^2)mx = -eE (Eq. 2). The time dependent function whose second derivative equals -(w^2)x is similar to the electromagnetic wave equation E=E0exp(iwt), and can be represented as x=x0exp(iwt).
_Andreas

Homework Statement

The equation of motion of a free electron in an electric field is

m((d^2)x)/(dt^2) = -eE (Eq. 1)

If x and E have the time dependence exp(iwt), where w=angular frequency, then

-(w^2)mx = -eE (Eq. 2)

What does the time dependent function whose second derivative equals -(w^2)x look like?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from my papers that the electromagnetic wave is given by

E=E0exp(iwt),

and I guess the equation I'm after looks similar. The second derivative of x*exp(iwt) would give me the correct answer, but x=x0*exp(iwt) doesn't seem to do, because equation 2 says x and not x0.

Physics news on Phys.org
x=x0exp(iwt)

d2x/dt2=-w^2 x0 exp(iwt) = -w^2 x

christianjb said:
x=x0exp(iwt)

d2x/dt2=-w^2 x0 exp(iwt) = -w^2 x

Ah, I forgot that the factor exp(iwt) will still be there after the derivation :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is a time dependent function?

A time dependent function is a mathematical function that changes its output based on the input of time. This means that the output value of the function will vary depending on the time at which the function is evaluated.

2. Why do we need time dependent functions?

Time dependent functions are necessary for modeling and understanding dynamic systems. They allow us to analyze and predict how a system will change over time, and are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you determine the correct time dependent function for a system?

The correct time dependent function for a system depends on the specific variables and parameters involved. It can be determined through empirical data, theoretical analysis, or a combination of both. It is important to carefully consider the properties and behavior of the system in order to select an appropriate function.

4. Can time dependent functions be used for both continuous and discrete systems?

Yes, time dependent functions can be used for both continuous and discrete systems. Continuous systems involve variables that change continuously over time, while discrete systems involve variables that change in distinct steps. Different types of functions may be used for each type of system, but the concept of time dependency remains the same.

5. Are there any limitations to using time dependent functions?

Time dependent functions are based on mathematical models and may not always accurately reflect real-world systems. They also require accurate and consistent data inputs to produce reliable results. Additionally, certain complex systems may be difficult to model using time dependent functions, and alternative methods may be necessary.