Kinetic Energy in reference frame

In summary, the conversation discusses a method of attacking a satellite in Earth's orbit and the calculation of the kinetic energy of a pellet colliding with the satellite. The conversation also addresses the velocity of the pellet relative to the satellite and uses a real-life scenario to explain the concept. The original question remains unanswered.
waterfaire
One way to attack a satellite in Earth orbit is to launch a swarm of pellets in the same orbit but in the opposite direction. Suppose a satellite in a circular orbit 500km above Earth's surface colides with a pellet having a mass of 4g.

What is the KE of the pellet in the reference frame of the sallite

R = 6.87x10^6m
G = 6.67x10^-11
Mearth = 5.98x10^24
M of pellet = .004kg

For this...I tried finding the velocity of the Satellite...V = (squareroot (GMearth/R)), which turned out to be 7620m/s

I know that the pellet is going in the oppsite direction..so that would make the speed of the pellet -7620m/s

then I used the KE equation. K = .5mv^2 and got the answer to be 116118J, which isn't the right answr...

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derived the velocity of the pellet relative to the center of the Earth. What is the velocity of the pellet relative to the satellite?

V pellet to satellite = V pellet to Earth + V Earth to satellite

V pe = -7620...
V es = 7620...

so wouldn't it just be 0?

Does that answer make any sense whatsoever?

Bringing this problem down to Earth, imagine you are driving 60 mph on a freeway. A mile or so down the road in front of you, you see a car driving toward you in your lane (i.e., its driving the wrong way down the freeway). Let's say that vehicle is also going 60 mph. How fast is it going relative to you?

So...

Anyone want to answer this person's question. I'm having the same problems as the original asker. The responses have been less than helpful.

1. What is kinetic energy in reference frame?

Kinetic energy in reference frame refers to the energy that an object possesses due to its motion relative to a certain reference frame. It is a type of energy that is associated with the movement of an object.

2. How is kinetic energy in reference frame calculated?

Kinetic energy in reference frame is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity relative to the reference frame.

3. How does kinetic energy in reference frame differ from kinetic energy in a different frame?

Kinetic energy in reference frame is dependent on the reference frame chosen, whereas kinetic energy in a different frame may have a different value as it is calculated based on the object's motion relative to that particular frame.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and reference frame?

The reference frame chosen can affect the value of kinetic energy, as it is a measure of an object's motion in relation to that frame. Changing the reference frame can alter the perceived speed and direction of an object's motion, thus changing its kinetic energy in that frame.

5. How is kinetic energy in reference frame affected by the mass and velocity of an object?

As stated in the formula, kinetic energy in reference frame is directly proportional to the mass of an object and the square of its velocity. This means that an increase in either the mass or velocity of an object will result in a corresponding increase in its kinetic energy in reference frame.