Do Initial Conditions for PDEs Need to Satisfy Governing Equations?

In summary, for systems of PDEs that decompose into evolution and constraint equations, the initial conditions must satisfy the governing equations. For example, for incompressible flow equations, the initial solution for the velocity field must be divergence-free. Additionally, if you want to give forcing along a boundary curve, the function must also be divergence-free, which may be challenging without prior knowledge of the fields at every time.
pavanakumar
I would really like to know whether initial conditions given to a time evolution PDE has to satisfy the governing equations. For example, if I have to solve numerically an incompressible flow equation do I need to give initial solution for the velocity field which is divergence free so as to obey the governing equation.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are asking about systems of PDEs which decompose into evolution equations plus constraint equations. If so, yes, the constraint equations place constraints on the initial values, and once you find a "legal" solution to those on some slice such as [itex]t=0[/itex], you use the evolution equations to obtain the complete solution. For example, you can consider Maxwell's source-free field equations to be a pair of evolution equations
[tex] E_t = \nabla \times \vec{B}, \; \; B_t = -\nabla \times \vec{E} [/tex]
plus a pair of constraint equations
[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0, \; \; \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0 [/tex]
So initial data on the slice [itex]t=0[/itex] consists of two incompressible spatial vector fields [itex]\vec{E}, \, \vec{B}[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks chris,
So my initial conditions must be mathematically consistent with the governing eqn.

I have one more query. If I want to give some sort of forcing in say E = f(t) (t -> time) along some boundary curve C. Then for each time I have no guarantee that the fields are divergence free. In this case too I must make the function f(t) divergence free. But how ? as I don't have prior knowledge of the fields at every time t (beforehand).

What is meant by "initial conditions" in PDE?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the dependent variables in a partial differential equation (PDE) at the initial time or starting point of the problem. These conditions are necessary to determine a unique solution for the PDE.

How are initial conditions different from boundary conditions in PDE?

Initial conditions are specified at the initial time or starting point of the problem, while boundary conditions are specified at the boundaries of the domain. Initial conditions are used to determine the solution of the PDE at all points in the domain, while boundary conditions are used to restrict the behavior of the solution at the boundaries.

What types of initial conditions are commonly used in PDE?

The most common types of initial conditions used in PDE are Dirichlet, Neumann, and Cauchy conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the value of the dependent variable on the boundary of the domain. Neumann conditions specify the derivative of the dependent variable on the boundary. Cauchy conditions specify the value of the dependent variable and its derivative at the initial time.

Can initial conditions be time-dependent in PDE?

Yes, initial conditions can be time-dependent in PDE. This means that the values of the dependent variable at the initial time can vary with time. Time-dependent initial conditions are commonly used in problems where the initial state of the system is changing over time, such as in heat transfer or fluid dynamics.

What happens if initial conditions are not specified in a PDE?

If initial conditions are not specified in a PDE, there will be an infinite number of solutions that satisfy the PDE. This is because the initial conditions are necessary to determine a unique solution. Therefore, specifying initial conditions is crucial in solving PDEs and obtaining a meaningful and accurate solution.