Can We Glue Text? LaTeX vs Text

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary,The conversation discusses different methods for preventing line breaks in mathematical expressions, specifically the Lie bracket of X and Y. One suggestion is to use LaTeX, while another is to avoid using spaces in the expression. However, this can still cause issues with certain symbols. Ultimately, it is suggested to simply start a new line if the expression is too long.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It would really be nice if I could glue text; e.g. if I could put some sort of tag around an expression like [X, Y](f) = (XY - YX)(f), to guarantee that the browser won't insert a line break in the middle of the expression. I suppose I could just make it into LaTeX, but I'm assuming the server is happier if I write it as text.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the pre-LaTeX days the only reliable way I could think of to do that was to start another line.

The Lie bracket of X and Y is:

[X,Y]=XY-YX

and so forth.

One method that might work... Don't use spaces. [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f)

(resize your browser window)

That works for some formulae. Alas, there are a lot of symbols my broswer will break. e.g. with what you wrote, I see:

... [X,Y](f)=(XY-
YX)(f) ...

Well, personally, if it's going to be that long, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone put in a command to stop it from breaking. I dislike when posts get all stretched because someone does something that prevents the lines from breaking, especially if I'm trying read from my laptop with a small screen.

I think Tom's suggestion is best, just start a new line.

Moonbear said:
Well, personally, if it's going to be that long, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone put in a command to stop it from breaking. I dislike when posts get all stretched because someone does something that prevents the lines from breaking, especially if I'm trying read from my laptop with a small screen.

I think Tom's suggestion is best, just start a new line.
Well, I would have expected the line break would be placed before the expression, rather than after.

1. Can we use LaTeX to create documents with glued text?

Yes, LaTeX is a typesetting language that allows for advanced formatting and layout of documents, including the ability to glue text together. This can be done using commands such as \hfill or \hspace in LaTeX.

2. What is the main difference between LaTeX and regular text?

The main difference between LaTeX and regular text is that LaTeX is a typesetting language, while regular text is simply a sequence of characters. This means that LaTeX has more advanced formatting capabilities and allows for precise control over the layout of a document.

3. Is LaTeX better for creating documents with glued text compared to regular text?

It depends on the purpose of the document. If the document requires complex formatting and layout, then LaTeX is usually the preferred option. However, for simple documents with minimal formatting needs, using regular text may be more efficient.

4. Can I convert a regular text document into LaTeX?

Yes, there are various tools available that can convert regular text into LaTeX format. However, the resulting LaTeX document may require some manual adjustments to achieve the desired formatting.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using LaTeX for documents with glued text?

One potential disadvantage of using LaTeX for documents with glued text is that it may require a steeper learning curve compared to regular text. Additionally, it may take longer to create and edit documents in LaTeX due to its more complex syntax.