Destroy "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" Thread

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread the speaker started in the philosophy forum called "Emperor's New Clothes in Physics." They would like the thread to be destroyed, not just locked. The other person involved, Russ, made a mistake in judging the speaker, but the thread has now been locked. The speaker apologizes for being too harsh and may start a new thread in the Classical Physics forum. There is no longer any disagreement about the thread being deleted, but its existence is still slightly unpleasant for the speaker. The thread has now been deleted and the conversation is settled.
jostpuur
Hello, is the thread "emperors new clothes in physics" I started in philosphy forum going to be destroyed or not? I mean, I would like it to be destroyed.

I'm not an arrogant high school student, and there was not incorrectness in my example. russ_watters made a mistake in judging me, and now that thread is embarrasing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the thread has already been locked. Also, I don't think there was anything there judging you, actually, I think Russ' comments were intended to help encourage you in your learning.

Looking at the thread in question, it never did spark much in the way of philosophical discussion, so if this is a request to have it deleted instead of just locked, we can probably accommodate that. Just make it clear that is your wish.

If this is a request to have it deleted instead of just locked, we can probably accommodate that. Just make it clear that is your wish.

Yes, this is precisly what I meant. I would prefer destroying and not (only) locking.

I don't think there was anything there judging you, actually, I think Russ' comments were intended to help encourage you in your learning.

I've considered returning to the specific problem of kinetic energies in a new thread in the Classical Physics forum, where it would be more approriate. In the original thread it would have been off topic too badly.

I apologize if I was too harsh and in fairness I did just skim your example and miss part of it...

I probably should have brought this up for discussion in the Mentor's forum after your request. I have no objection to deleting the thread.

Last edited:
I've considered returning to the specific problem of kinetic energies in a new thread in the Classical Physics forum, where it would be more approriate. In the original thread it would have been off topic too badly.
I'm not considering this anymore, since there does not seem to be any disagreement on this matter.

I guess the fate of the thread was to get locked one way or another anyway, since it would have probably attracted other "wild minds" of the PF sooner or later. Too dangerous topic to try to talk about in the internet.

There does not seem to be any conflict at all anymore, but the existence of the thread is still sligthly unpleasant for me.

btw. What does it mean, when the locking symbol shows black and white?

Okay, the thread has been deleted.

This must have been a confusing case, but anyway, thanks for flexibility and understanding! :smile:

Not too confusing, just the weekend interrupted me from following up after responding earlier. Glad it's all settled and we can move on.

1. What is the "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread all about?

The "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread is a discussion on a popular internet forum that challenges the current theories and beliefs in the field of physics. It suggests that some of the widely accepted concepts, such as the Big Bang Theory and the existence of dark matter, may not be as solid as they seem.

2. Who started the "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread?

The thread was started by a user named "EinsteinWasRight" who claimed to be a physics professor. However, the true identity of the user is unknown and some speculate that it could be a pseudonym used by multiple individuals.

3. Why is the "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread controversial?

The thread challenges the established theories and beliefs in physics, which can be seen as controversial by those who strongly adhere to these theories. It also allows for open discussions and criticisms, which can lead to heated debates among users.

4. What evidence does the "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread present?

The thread presents various arguments and evidence to support its claims, such as inconsistencies in current theories, alternative explanations for phenomena, and experimental results that contradict established beliefs. However, these claims have not been widely accepted or supported by the scientific community.

5. How has the "Emperors New Clothes in Physics" thread affected the field of physics?

The thread has sparked discussions and debates among scientists and the general public about the current state and future direction of physics. Some argue that it encourages critical thinking and challenges the status quo, while others see it as spreading misinformation and hindering scientific progress.