Will my water filled pipe freeze?

• Thread starter engineroom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Water
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with a fire sprinkler pipe freezing due to low temperatures. The pipe is installed under a building with minimal air movement and the lowest temperature recorded is -8.5 Celsius. The pipe is made of carbon steel and is 32mm OD and 25mm ID. The conversation also mentions a formula for calculating heat loss and time to temperature. There is a disagreement between the speaker and a building inspector on whether the pipe should be dosed with antifreeze. The water in the pipe is expected to reach a high of 6 Celsius during the day and freeze overnight, but the speaker believes it will not freeze completely due to latent heat. However, others in the conversation believe that relying on latent
engineroom
I have a problem that my technical engineer training can't solve.

We have static water pipes installed under a canopy of a building. The coldest air tempreture recorded is -8.5 Celius during winter. We can assume that the air tempreture stays at -8.5 Celius and there is minimal air movement. If we assume that the pipe and water starts at 6 Celius and is exposed to -8.5 Celius for 8 hours will the water in the pipe freeze?

The pipe is 32mm OD, 25mm ID. The pipe is carbon steel.

Part of the answer is a formula for a curve that relates heat loss and time to tempreture. The differcult problem becomes when the tempreture reachs zero then the latent heat starts to be given up.

Currently me and the building inspector are having an argument as to whether the pipe should be dosed with antifreeze. I need a copy of the calculation to show the inspector.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the water for? (It seems the only factor for deciding on antifreeze should be whether it all recirculates.) Why "6" Celsius? It does seem a valid question (how much insulation does a pipe require?), although if you get to the point where latent heat matters, then you're outside of the building safety margin.

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
What is the water for? (It seems the only factor for deciding on antifreeze should be whether it all recirculates.) Why "6" Celsius? It does seem a valid question (how much insulation does a pipe require?), although if you get to the point where latent heat matters, then you're outside of the building safety margin.

The water is in a fire sprinkler pipe. From climatic data expect worst case a high during the day of 6 celsius followed by an over night frost of -8.5 celsius. Even if the point where latent heat is factored in that is still okay, so long as we don't have solid ice.

Thanks.

Fire sprinkler? Just make sure the antifreeze is dissolved in properly, you'd be very silly to build an emergency system that doesn't work properly (or fails permanently) if the climate changes a little.

I don't like the way you've approached your climatic data. Why do you assume the water will warm completely (to the ambient 6 degree temperature) during the day, and not assume it will cool to ambient temperature at night? If it doesn't have time to cool to ambient temperature at night, it can't have time to warm up to the maximum during the day, so it will be at about the average -1.25 celsius all week, which is completely useless (it would freeze solid). You also assumed minimal air movement, which cannot be relied upon (imagine there is a cold front moving through): you should assume the outside surface will be the same as ambient temperature. Provided your pipes aren't physically connected to anything acting like a big heatsink, you'd want enough insulation that it only cools a few degrees over the worst week, in other words you'd want the above-ground pipes to be indoors.

I'd expect the building inspectors know something about safety, why are you so unwilling to follow that advice? How significantly does it alter the cost?

Last edited:
It's going to freeze. At the least it will cause you troubles. I have seen people have problems with water pipes in homes where the water is moving and the pipes still freeze. Are these pipes out in the open or are they in an enclosed area such as an eaves area or the like?

Whether the air is static or not really doesn't matter. You're only going from 6C to -8.5 for 8 hours and it's a 1" pipe.

I fully agree that if you are relying on the latent heat as your safety factor, you are not being safe enough. That system has to work whenever and every time. You need to insulate or run heat tracing down the pipes to ensure free flow.

Where are you located? Don't they have specific code requirements for this?

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
I fully agree that if you are relying on the latent heat as your safety factor, you are not being safe enough.
I fully agree. Moreover when the latent heat begins to "help", it is too late: water is freezing.

Right - that isn't safety factor you're talking about. It is already into failure.

If I had to guess, I'd say you will only lag the ambient temperature by an hour or two with a pipe size like that.

1. What temperature does water freeze?

The temperature at which water freezes is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius.

2. Will my water-filled pipe freeze if the temperature is above freezing?

It is possible for a water-filled pipe to freeze even if the temperature is above freezing. This can happen if the temperature drops below freezing at night or if the pipe is exposed to cold air or wind.

3. How long does it take for a water-filled pipe to freeze?

The time it takes for a water-filled pipe to freeze depends on a variety of factors including the temperature, the length and thickness of the pipe, and the insulation around the pipe. In general, it can take several hours for a pipe to freeze completely.

4. Can I prevent my water-filled pipe from freezing?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to prevent your water-filled pipe from freezing. These include insulating the pipe, keeping the temperature in your home above freezing, and letting a faucet drip to keep water moving through the pipe.

5. What should I do if my water-filled pipe freezes?

If your water-filled pipe freezes, it is important to take action immediately to prevent it from bursting. You can try using a hairdryer or heating pad to thaw the pipe, or you can call a professional plumber for assistance. Do not attempt to use open flames to thaw a frozen pipe.