Debunking Charlatans: The Impact of False Advertising on Scientific Forums

• Thread starter Mentz114
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a questionable ad that appeared on a physics forum and the issue of controlling such ads. The conversation also touches on the idea of entrepreneurship and the responsibility of individuals in preventing scams. The ad was eventually removed with the help of forum members.
Mentz114
I was shocked to see this ad,
http://www.dreammanifesto.com/wizard...FR8-EAoddnPhRw appearing in the Google section. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. I assume the forum has no control over this but it is almost insulting to have garbage like this advertised in a physics forum.

Or is it a triumph of entrepreneurial spirit over mere truth ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The admins have some control over it. Greg routinely bans crackpot ads. We just need for people to point them out. Policing the ads is too big a job for just a few people to do, so we rely on folks like you to help. Thanks for pointing this out.

It's my pleasure, Tom. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that scams like this go on. Reading through the posts in this section for the first time I came across a mentor saying something like 'it's not our job to stop people making a buck from the gullible ...' - not a verbatim quote but that's what was meant.

Brings to mind - 'If only the good were clever, and the clever good'.

Ad has been removed. thanks!

1. How can I spot a charlatan advertisement on PF?

Charlatans often make exaggerated claims and use flashy language to lure people into buying their products or services. They may also use fake credentials or testimonials to make themselves seem more credible. If something seems too good to be true, it is important to do further research and not take the advertisement at face value.

2. Is it legal for charlatans to advertise on PF?

As long as the advertisement does not violate any laws or regulations, it is generally legal for charlatans to advertise on PF. However, they may be subject to legal consequences if their claims are proven to be false or misleading.

3. What should I do if I come across a charlatan advertisement on PF?

If you believe an advertisement on PF is from a charlatan, you can report it to the platform's administrators. You can also research the claims being made and share your findings with others to raise awareness about the potential deception.

4. How can I protect myself from falling for a charlatan advertisement on PF?

It is important to approach all advertisements with a critical eye and not believe everything you see. Do your own research on the product or service being advertised and look for reviews or testimonials from reputable sources. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field before making a purchase.

5. Are there any warning signs that an advertisement on PF may be from a charlatan?

Some warning signs of a charlatan advertisement include claims that seem too good to be true, lack of evidence or scientific support for the claims being made, and pressure to make a quick decision or purchase. Additionally, if the advertisement is from an unknown or untrustworthy source, it is important to be cautious.