Shipping Scooters Overseas: Cost & Comparisons

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: Canada.In summary, it would be a lot of work and money to ship a scooter overseas from say England to Canada, or France to Canada, or Italy to Canada. It would be best to find an international freight forwarder to do the shipping. Costs would include shipping, import taxes, and possibly conversion costs.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to ship a scooter overseas from say England to Canada, or France to Canada, or Italy to Canada?

Scooters down there go for cheap sometimes! If the price isn't too bad, I can probably make money shipping scooters here and then selling them here!

Anyways, let me know.

Note: A big problem is that many sellers only accept pick-up which is completely different than over here. They'll ship anything you want over here.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about a motorized scooter I am thinking it would be quite expensive. I am guessing that the scooter would weigh quite a bit over 150lbs which means you would have to ship it as freight and vehicle shipping is probably quite a hastle because of the possibility of stolen vehicles getting out of the country and stuff. (I don't know about scooters, though, do they even have a VIN or anything?)

My advice would be to call FedEx at 1-800-GoFedEx and see what you can find out. (I think they are 24/7)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll have to ship it as freight.

I was playing around with the fedex calculator

http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/standalone?method=destinationCountryChange

and getting the quote for a 150lb 100cm^3 crate from Paris to Alberta and it came out really pricey(So much so that I thought I was doing it wrong). Maybe there is another way to do it though, maybe if you buy in bulk or something? I dunno, I hope it works out for you.

JasonRox said:
Scooters down there go for cheap sometimes! If the price isn't too bad, I can probably make money shipping scooters here and then selling them here!
You'd have to contact an international freight forwarder (e.g. Maersk), and you'd have to check with Canadian customs. If you are purchasing products for reselling, then you'll have to comply with import laws as well as transportation laws (e.g. certification). Fedex, and likewise, will be too expensive per unit. Best to order a containers worth (20 footer) of scooters. See - http://www.removalgroup.com/shipping-containers.htm [Broken]

http://www.mrbox.co.uk/gallery01-new20ft.html

It is one thing to import for one's personal use, but importing for commercial reasons is a different ballgame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
You'd have to contact an international freight forwarder (e.g. Maersk), and you'd have to check with Canadian customs. If you are purchasing products for reselling, then you'll have to comply with import laws as well as transportation laws (e.g. certification). Fedex, and likewise, will be too expensive per unit. Best to order a containers worth (20 footer) of scooters. See - http://www.removalgroup.com/shipping-containers.htm [Broken]

http://www.mrbox.co.uk/gallery01-new20ft.html

It is one thing to import for one's personal use, but importing for commercial reasons is a different ballgame.

Yeah, I'm not sure if my house can handle a container full of scooters!

Last edited by a moderator:
The cost of shipping itself is only one of the costs. You'll also have to pay an import tax in Canada if importing something of any commercial or resale value.

Moonbear said:
The cost of shipping itself is only one of the costs. You'll also have to pay an import tax in Canada if importing something of any commercial or resale value.

Well, scooters are so cheap overseas that as long as the average cost of the scooter to sell (includes shipping and taxes and etc...) is not over $600CDN each.

You can buy them for $300-400 each, and sell them for like $1500-1700 a piece. So, that's atleast a $500 profit for each one. Unfortunately, the profit is not large enough to take on the risk.

I'm looking into getting a bunch from Mexico. Maybe they'll be cheap over there.

JasonRox said:
I'm looking into getting a bunch from Mexico. Maybe they'll be cheap over there.

What about emissions standards? Are they the same in the two countries? Or any other issues that might explain the difference in price? You wouldn't want to import them only to find out they aren't street legal in Canada and will be more expensive to convert than if you bought locally. I don't know if this is at all an issue, but something to check before buying any type of vehicle from another country.

Moonbear said:
What about emissions standards? Are they the same in the two countries? Or any other issues that might explain the difference in price? You wouldn't want to import them only to find out they aren't street legal in Canada and will be more expensive to convert than if you bought locally. I don't know if this is at all an issue, but something to check before buying any type of vehicle from another country.

No, there aren't any emission standards for scooters. The scooters are ready to roll from France to Canada.

From the US to Canada, I'd have to change things to metric, but that's about it.

Note: Emission standards are tougher in Europe. Hence, obviously it will be good enough for here.

I have used Allince Air Freight several times to ship 200+ lb items & they have been fantastic in terms of pricing & in terms of service. They have a website www.allianceairfreight.com you can get freight quotes & see their services.

1. What factors determine the cost of shipping a scooter overseas?

The cost of shipping a scooter overseas depends on several factors such as the distance, mode of transportation, weight and dimensions of the scooter, customs and import fees, and insurance. Additionally, the shipping company and their rates can also impact the overall cost.

2. How much does it cost to ship a scooter overseas?

The cost of shipping a scooter overseas can range from $500 to $2000, depending on the factors mentioned above. It is important to research and compare prices from different shipping companies to get the best deal.

3. What are the different modes of transportation for shipping a scooter overseas?

The most common modes of transportation for shipping a scooter overseas are air freight and sea freight. Air freight is generally faster but more expensive, while sea freight is slower but more cost-effective for larger and heavier scooters.

4. Are there any additional fees or taxes associated with shipping a scooter overseas?

Yes, there may be additional fees and taxes involved when shipping a scooter overseas. These can include customs and import fees, as well as taxes imposed by the destination country. It is important to research and factor in these costs when planning to ship a scooter overseas.

5. Can I track my scooter during the shipping process?

Yes, most shipping companies provide tracking services for scooters and other shipments. This allows you to monitor the progress of your scooter during the shipping process and ensure its safe arrival at the destination.