How does the multi-quote feature work?

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
In summary: Isn't that what I did?Like that. Copy and paste other people's posts, and type in the quote tags...Which one's better?
mbrmbrg
How does the multi-quote feature work? I have no problem quoting things, either by clicking the "quote" button at the bottom of a post and by tagging the desire passage with [ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ]. But clicking the "multi quote" either does nothing or makes the button turn blue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Click multi quote on the ones you want to quote, then when you've selected all you want to, click on quote and it will take you to the reply box, with all the messages you've quoted appearing.

cristo said:
Click multi quote on the ones you want to quote, then when you've selected all you want to, click on quote and it will take you to the reply box, with all the messages you've quoted appearing.
like this?

mbrmbrg said:
like this?
or this, perchance?

edit: clearly not. What am I doing wrong? The multi quotes I click turn blue, but I only quote one post.:grumpy:

Last edited:
mbrmbrg said:
like this?
No

mbrmbrg said:
or this, perchance?

edit: clearly not. What am I doing wrong? The multi quotes I click turn blue, but I only quote one post.:grumpy:
Click both multi-quote buttons, then click the quote button.

cristo said:
No

Click both multi-quote buttons, then click the quote button.
Isn't that what I did?

edit: whatevs. as long as I can do the physics, right?

Last edited:
I was about to ask what the hell you delusional twits were talking about, until I played a hunch and switched to PF Prime. There are no multi-quote buttons in Nexus, and this is the first time that I've heard of them.

Danger said:
I was about to ask what the hell you delusional twits were talking about, until I played a hunch and switched to PF Prime. There are no multi-quote buttons in Nexus, and this is the first time that I've heard of them.

I've only ever worked in prime. Which is better: Prime or Nexus?

Danger said:

mbrmbrg said:

Prime is the main supported skin for newer features. That's why I changed to Prime a while back, even though I liked the Nexus better. You get used to Prime.

BTW, thanks for the thread -- I had also played with Multi-Quote, and completely guessed wrong what it was for (I thought it was for nested quotes). Pretty handy!

berkeman said:
Prime is the main supported skin for newer features. That's why I changed to Prime a while back, even though I liked the Nexus better. You get used to Prime.

BTW, thanks for the thread -- I had also played with Multi-Quote, and completely guessed wrong what it was for (I thought it was for nested quotes). Pretty handy!

Hang on: you mean it's NOT for nested quotes? What you just did was multi-quoting? Damn! This is my third or fourth time trying to multi-quote following Cristo's instruction, and something tells me it ain't working this time, either.

That's why you're a mentor, I guess.

edit: There is no reason that I should not be able to do this. Pick two (or more) messages. Click on the multi quote button on each message. Then click the quote button on the last message whose multiquote button you have clicked. Voila! Failure!

Last edited:
Failure? Hmmm. I wonder why. Do what you said, and click on the QUOTE button for the last/2nd post you're multi-quoting. Does it still fail? I didn't know which of the multi-quote posts I should click QUOTE on, so I did the last one. Does that make it work?

berkeman said:
Failure? Hmmm. I wonder why. Do what you said, and click on the QUOTE button for the last/2nd post you're multi-quoting. Does it still fail? I didn't know which of the multi-quote posts I should click QUOTE on, so I did the last one. Does that make it work?

Apparently not. I vote that I blame my computer. Not of course, that I wish to disparage my computer in any way, shape, or form, but...

Though of course, we can do things manually.

Like that. Copy and paste other people's posts, and type in the quote tags myself. Dull, but it works.

mbrmbrg said:
Hang on: you mean it's NOT for nested quotes? What you just did was multi-quoting? Damn! This is my third or fourth time trying to multi-quote following Cristo's instruction, and something tells me it ain't working this time, either.

edit: There is no reason that I should not be able to do this. Pick two (or more) messages. Click on the multi quote button on each message. Then click the quote button on the last message whose multiquote button you have clicked. Voila! Failure!

Whoops, sorry. You said that you clicked on the last one, just like I did in my test. Are you using the Prime skin?

mbrmbrg said:

Okay, asked and answered. I'm brain dead. Sorry that I'm not of more help. Perhaps clearer minds will figure it out in the AM.

Hey, thanks for paying attention. Though I was rather confused for a mo when you implied that 1:45 after midnight didn't constitute AM... Silly Californians who don't know that everything ought to be measured relative to the east coast of the Mainland United States:biggrin:
g'night! (Or shall I say "Good Sleep Period"?)

Worse than that with the truly international makeup of the PF community! g'night!

mbrmbrg said:
Copy and paste other people's posts, and type in the quote tags myself. Dull, but it works.

I'm too lazy to type in quote tags. I just do a normal quote, delete all but the relavent part, respond to it, then copy it. Then I pull the next quote, do the same, and paste the first set into it. I've managed up to about a dozen responses in one post that way. Nested quotes are really easy that way, too.

mbrmbrg said:

berkeman said:

In case you're interested (and ever get it to work!) to nest quotes you need to move the [/ quote] tag from the end of the first message to the end of the last message... like I did here.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth-- I don't think there a quicker way to do nested quotes.

Danger said:
I'm too lazy to type in quote tags. I just do a normal quote, delete all but the relavent part, respond to it, then copy it. Then I pull the next quote, do the same, and paste the first set into it. I've managed up to about a dozen responses in one post that way. Nested quotes are really easy that way, too.

berkeman said:
Worse than that with the truly international makeup of the PF community! g'night!

cristo said:
In case you're interested (and ever get it to work!) to nest quotes you need to move the [/ quote] tag from the end of the first message to the end of the last message... like I did here.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth-- I don't think there a quicker way to do nested quotes.

Hoo! It works! I am NOT a certifiable idiot... yet. It was clearly a computer glitch. Nobody tell my laptop I said that.

1. How do I use the multi-quote feature?

The multi-quote feature allows you to select and quote multiple sections of text from different parts of a document or conversation. To use it, simply highlight the text you want to quote and click on the "multi-quote" button. Repeat this process for any additional text you want to quote. Once you are finished, click on the "quote" or "reply" button to add all of the selected quotes to your response.

2. Can I edit the quotes I have selected?

Yes, you can edit the quotes you have selected before adding them to your response. Simply click on the "edit" button next to the selected quote and make any necessary changes. Once you are finished, click on the "add" or "update" button to save your changes.

3. How many quotes can I select at once?

You can select and quote as many sections of text as you want using the multi-quote feature. There is no limit to the number of quotes you can select, but keep in mind that adding too many quotes to your response may make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.

4. Can I use the multi-quote feature in all types of documents or conversations?

The multi-quote feature can be used in most types of documents or conversations, including emails, forums, and social media platforms. However, some websites or platforms may not have this feature available, so make sure to check before attempting to use it.

5. How do I remove a selected quote?

To remove a selected quote, click on the "x" button next to the quote you want to remove. This will remove the quote from your selected quotes list. If you have already added the quote to your response, you can delete it by clicking on the "delete" or "remove" button in the text editor.