Electromagnetic waves and vector calculus

In summary, the conversation is about trouble with understanding electromagnetic waves and how to identify them. The discussion includes equations for an electromagnetic wave and questions about the vector B and the Poynting vector S. The conversation also mentions Maxwell's equations and their relationship to the electric and magnetic fields.
Pingu
I'm having trouble with electromagnetic waves, perhaps just a vector calculus issue. I'd much appreciate some help in idenfiying it.

If given say an example in an assignment of an electromagnetic wave:

E = E_0 cos (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) X
+ E_0 sin (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) Y

Where bold X & Y have hats on their heads :-D

If so , what is the vector B
I'd immediatley assume that it was the same equation, replaced with B_O's instead of E_0's and swapping the cos's with sins's or the X & Y's.

Simplistic assumption based on the two assumably being mutuall perpendicular and in phase.

That would lead me to be able to identify the poynting vector S
I'm wondering if it is the same solution as a monochromatic plane wave, and furthermore what relationship the magnetic energy density and the electric energy density have, over a suitable averaging.

Thanks for reading, and if you have anything to comment, i'd love to hear it. I'm reading from Griffith Intro to Electro chapter 9 to attempt understanding...

Cheers
Andy :-D

Physics news on Phys.org
Pingu said:
I'm having trouble with electromagnetic waves, perhaps just a vector calculus issue. I'd much appreciate some help in idenfiying it.

If given say an example in an assignment of an electromagnetic wave:

E = E_0 cos (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) X
+ E_0 sin (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) Y

Where bold X & Y have hats on their heads :-D

If so , what is the vector B
I'd immediatley assume that it was the same equation, replaced with B_O's instead of E_0's and swapping the cos's with sins's or the X & Y's.

That's not right. Remember that [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] satisfies Maxwell's equations. So, what do the first 2 equations in vacuum tell you? From this, can you find the magnetic field?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through empty space or through a medium. They consist of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate at right angles to each other and to the direction of wave propagation.

2. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created through the acceleration of electric charges. This can occur naturally, such as in the case of lightning, or through human-made devices like antennas.

3. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables and their derivatives. It is used to study vector fields, which are mathematical representations of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

4. How is vector calculus related to electromagnetic waves?

Vector calculus is essential for understanding electromagnetic waves because it allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic waves, are formulated using vector calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic waves and vector calculus?

Electromagnetic waves and vector calculus have numerous real-world applications, including communication technologies like radio, TV, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in industries such as aerospace and defense for radar and satellite communication systems.