Looking for notes on guage geometry.

In summary, the person is looking for a preparatory text that introduces concepts of differential geometry, bundles, connections etc. They are interested in the Yang-Mills Lagrangian, the Dirac operator, and the notes are 97 pages.
Haelfix
Science Advisor
Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone who would have a good set of lecture notes online concerning the following problem

Basically, what I am looking for is the construction of the classical lagrangian of general relativity + classical Yang Mills fields using differential geometry, bundles, gauge connections etc. But not really.

I am really more interested in the way to go from the classical theory to the quantum field one, using this language. I am trying to stay away from the Palatini formalism, where they abstract away from the Einstein Hilbert action and use SO(3,1) as the connection variable.

I'm tired of translating the usual way we are taught quantum field theory, into this language, and I need a good review set of notes that isn't scattered around in various tomes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haelfix said:
... classical Yang Mills fields using differential geometry, bundles, gauge connections etc...

this is more elementary than what you are asking about----a preparation that introduces concepts of differential geometry: bundles, connections etc..

http://arxiv.org/math-ph/9902027

George Svetlichny
Preparation for Gauge Theory

the Yang-Mills lagrangian is introduced on page 61 (equation 89)
the Dirac operator on page 85

the notes are only 97 pages
I'm curious as to whether you know them and, if so, how you like them.
the style impresses me as unusually clear and efficient
maybe what you are looking for would be like a continuation of
these notes focusing on gravity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea those notes are pretty good, I particularly like the bits on clifford algebras, as they are fairly readable. The reference text for that sort of thing is Nakahara (sp)

Essentially what I would be looking for, is part2 of those notes, generally speaking.

Everything there is semi classical, and I'm interested in the quantization procedures and treatment thereof using that language.

After googling for a little while, one invariably ends up getting texts on noncommutative algebras, which is a little abrupt for me. I'd rather that topic be introduced in the last 10 pages or so of the hypothetical text, and the QFT be walked through a little slower (for those like me who are a little light on grey matter and can't instantly absorb the full notation without a little bit of prep work).

Haelfix said:
...Essentially what I would be looking for, is part2 of those notes, generally speaking.

a Part 2 of Svetlichny's notes is an appealing idea
one wants to email him and say "Well? do you have Part 2
in the works?"

the concepts are elegant and the exposition graceful and efficient

hopefully you will find something that will serve, if so and it is online
please post

1. What is guage geometry?

Gauge geometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on studying the properties and relationships of geometric figures and spaces. It involves measuring and comparing lengths, angles, and other geometric characteristics to understand the structure of objects and their positions in space.

2. How is guage geometry used in science?

Gauge geometry is used in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the behavior of fluids, and the properties of materials. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the geometry of spacetime in theories like general relativity.

3. What are some key concepts in guage geometry?

Some key concepts in guage geometry include distance, angle, parallel and perpendicular lines, symmetry, and transformations. Other important topics include Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries, topology, and differential geometry.

4. What are some real-world applications of guage geometry?

Guage geometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, computer graphics, and navigation. It is also used in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the development of new technologies, such as GPS and virtual reality.

5. How does guage geometry differ from other branches of mathematics?

Guage geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and calculus, but it has its own unique focus on geometric properties and relationships. Unlike fields like pure mathematics, it is more applied and has direct applications in the physical world.