I made a poster. I have to present it tomorrow for an open house.

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poster
In summary, Cyrus talked about a project he is working on that deals with controlling quantum dot samples while inside a cryostat. He also discussed some of the programs he used to measure the motor properties of the stage the sample will be sitting on.
Cyrus
I made a poster. I have to present it tomorrow for an open house. Ill take a picture of it next to the UAV and other peoples posters. I got it made at Kinkos, it cost $90 bucks. Its a good thing the school is going to pay me back though.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/548/myposterdf0.jpg

I have a video of it flying, but its too large to upload ~78mB and only 5 mins long. Its still a 'fluffy' poster, since I've been working on my research for only 3 weeks now. I've done this work at another lab for the last 4 years, so I probably did in 3 weeks what would have taken someone learning it half a summer. Hopefully it will be flying fully autonomously before school starts so I don't have to go out flying too often in the middle of school. Flying fields are always far away and eat up an entire day.

Some of the other Grad students are doing reserach in Morphing wings (smart structures), and optic flow sensing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could got get a picture of the posters in time, people were talking and then they took them down too fast; but, I got a picture of some areas of research. You can see a morphing wing bird and ducted fan rotorcraft.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1710/pict0007xx4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, Cyrus! I'd like to have seen the other posters and displays.

Yeah, they had some great stuff. But they took it down as people who came in were leaving. I was talking to some of the people before they left, so I turned around and all the posters were down...crap. They had stuff on active damping for helicopter blade tips, CFD work, basically a lot of helicopter blade design.

Indeed, very nice and professional. Good work! The bird looks interesting. I can't wait to get deeper into my studies.

Looks great!

Nice poster! I have to give a 10 minute speech for my REU tomorrow. I hope it sounds as good as that poster looks.:approve:

What are you going to talk about?

cyrusabdollahi said:
What are you going to talk about?

My project deals with a way to control a quantum dot sample during experiments while inside a cryostat. I'm going to talk a bit about background quantum dot information, plus a little bit about their applications, like quantum computing, etc.

The I'm going to go into more about what I did, measuring the motor properties of this stage that the sample is going to sit on while inside the cryostat. I basically had to write image acquisition and image processing programs in order to find out how fast the sample moves on this stage, it's max range of motion, etc.

It's a pretty interesting topic. I don't really think I did it justice here! If you want more info, Cyrus, I'll be glad to PM you.

Last edited:
:rofl: Way over my head. I have no clue what a quantum dot sample is.

They are pretty cool little things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot

I didn't really work with them though. My project was more about controlling test samples in an experiment.

BTW: I noticed you use Matlab there. I used it for the image processing I did. Pretty versatile program, huh?

Last edited:

What should I include in my poster?

Your poster should include a title, introduction, objectives or research question, methods, results, conclusions, and references. It should also have visual aids such as graphs, charts, and images to support your findings.

How should I organize my poster?

Your poster should be organized in a logical and visually appealing manner. It should flow from top to bottom and left to right, with clear headings and subheadings to guide the reader. Use bullet points or numbered lists to break up text and make it easier to read.

How much text should be on my poster?

Your poster should have a minimal amount of text, as it is meant to be a visual aid for your presentation. Use concise and clear sentences and avoid using long paragraphs. Use bullet points or short phrases to convey information.

What font and font size should I use?

Choose a font that is easy to read, such as Arial or Times New Roman. Use a font size that is large enough to be read from a distance, but not too large that it looks cluttered. A font size between 24-36pt is recommended.

How should I practice my presentation?

Practice your presentation by going through your poster and talking about each section. Time yourself to ensure that your presentation fits within the allotted time. Practice in front of a mirror or with a friend to gain confidence and receive feedback.