Masters in Engineering after Bachelors in Physics?

In summary: I can't get a job in my field, then I will go to grad school and get an MSEE.In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of pursuing a master's in engineering after completing a BS in mathematical physics. It was advised to consult with an academic advisor and research the requirements of each state for licensure as a professional engineer. The conversation also touched upon the possibility of obtaining an engineering job without a BS in engineering, and the importance of networking and highlighting the unique skills a master's degree brings to a private engineering firm.
NeoDevin
I'll be finished my BS in mathematical physics next spring, and have been thinking about what to do after. One idea I came up with was to do a masters in Engineering (probably mechanical, aerospace, or electrical). Does anyone have any information on if this is doable? Will I have sufficient background, or will I end up taking a couple of years of catch-up courses? Would there be any special requirements to make the transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well to do post graduate engineering universities require you to have equivalent to a BEng. Some universites(like polytechnical) accept the credit acquired from courses in physics. In order for one to be an engineer he/she has to give a Professional engineering examination(No matter which engineering field you are in).

I am assuming you are doing physical sciences. If so you have to consult your Academic advisor. He or she can better direct you the required courses.

It depends what area of mathematical physics you've focused on as an undergraduate. If you've taken a lot of thermal physics go mechanical, a lot of fluid physics go aerospace, I can't comment on electrical. However, don't feel obligated to get a masters in engineering for career purposes, physicist can hold most of the same jobs as an engineer (you can get your PE licensure too).

SRode said:
...you can get your PE licensure too).

You have to be a bit careful with that statement. It depends on the state in which you live and would be licensed. Also, one needs the required time as a practicing engineer to sit for the PE exam.

From the Society of Professional Engineer's web site:
Q. Are there other ways of qualifying to take the examination other than through an approved engineering degree?
A. Each state has a different method of weighing unapproved engineering study, four-year engineering technology programs, four-year study in a science related to engineering, graduate study in engineering, the teaching of engineering, and engineering experience. In addition, each state has its own rule regarding licensure through long-established practice, licensure by eminence, and licensure without examination. You should consult each state's rules for its individual requirements.

You can look up a lot of licensure information for you state here:
http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensing_boards/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoDevin said:
Does anyone have any information on if this is doable? Will I have sufficient background, or will I end up taking a couple of years of catch-up courses? Would there be any special requirements to make the transfer?

Yes, it is doable. Just make sure your grades are high. You will (more than likely) have to take some undergrad courses if you are admitted, not a couple of years worth though. If you have time you can probably take some engineering courses in your last couple of semesters at your current school. It should hopefully prevent you from having to take them again and also give you a better idea of what you really want to do.

Consult the webpages of schools you're looking to apply to and see what they say. Also visit an engineering advisor at your current school and ask what courses would be good to take now.

Good luck

You can certainly enter a graduate program in engineering. Just be aware that the research you will do will be highly focused and thus, you cannot qualify as a practising engineer, because you lack the requisite broad background taken by undergrad engineering majors.

Would a BS in Physics plus an MSEE plus experience allow one the get the type of electronics engineering job that would normally require a BSEE (understanding that it precludes one from becoming a professional engineer and doing the things which require it)?

jcrabtr said:
Would a BS in Physics plus an MSEE plus experience allow one the get the type of electronics engineering job that would normally require a BSEE (understanding that it precludes one from becoming a professional engineer and doing the things which require it)?

There are two reasons a recruiter wants engineers:

1) Someone told them to get one and they don't know any better,
2) They need a PE for the job, usually for legal reasons,
3) Both.

All 3 are very common. In the first case you'll have to convince them your masters prepares you for the job. You'll also have to convince them they'd rather have you than one of the other large numbers of EE's getting their BS. It's my experience that the people doing the hiring have a very specific list they'd rather not stray from - it'll get filed by someone else long before they consider you for it. Strong networking skills would help alleviate this problem. In the second case you could be out of luck.

You need to ask yourself what a masters really brings to a private engineering firm, and then convince them it makes up for not having a BS. That's tricky business.

On a personal note: I'm looking for a job now. It's easy to get engineer envy when you look at all the people who want to employ them. Take a second look at most of the jobs they're offering though. 90% of entry level engineering jobs are ones I wouldn't take a second look at anyways. Sometimes I forget there was a good reason I switched degrees, long long ago.

Last edited:
Locrian said:
It's easy to get engineer envy when you look at all the people who want to employ them. Take a second look at most of the jobs they're offering though. 90% of entry level engineering jobs are ones I wouldn't take a second look at anyways. Sometimes I forget there was a good reason I switched degrees, long long ago.

These are my feelings exactly. I want to continue doing R&D work that is both physics and electronics related. I have already had an entry level position, and jobs that seem to most strictly require an ABET-accredited BSEE are the ones I am least likely to want. I have decided that an MSEE can supplement my BS in Physics well to continue in this line of work, and have accepted the facts that I will never be a PE and probably always run into people who take offense at having a coworker who "didn't pay his dues."

That being said, I think the importance of a network and relevant experience are often understated. If the network doesn't come through though, you're on your own. The questions will remain:
1) Will you make the cut made by the HR person (or parser script) looking for the letters "BSEE" in a resume? I think that for R&D jobs requesting a "BSEE or equivalent" a BS in Physics has a very small chance of making it through depending on experience and relevant coursework, and a BS Physics plus MSEE has a much better chance. What about for "BSEE required, MSEE preferred" or "MSEE required"? I would think at that level that experience is even more important. Again, the more the job seems amenable to an applicant with a physics background, the more you would be likely to want it.
2) Assuming you make the cut, will the hiring manager balk at the sight of a BS Physics despite your MSEE? I would think at that point that experience and graduate coursework would matter the most for experienced positions, and where they don't you probably wouldn't want to be hired anyway.
3) Can you make it through the interview? I think only you can answer this question. I use two methods for doing this. I like to look through college catalogs to see what courses I have missed from a BSEE, check out the textbooks and lecture notes and decide if I know the material, and use that to determine which other classes to take, books to read, or projects to undertake. I also like to look at job requirements by talking to people or looking at postings and see what knowledge is needed for the type of work I am interested in. These methods work not just for getting jobs but also for personal education in general. Actually caring about knowledge versus credentials is what matters once you make it to this stage.

So those are my thoughts. I think the short story is that with a BS in Physics you are "able to do anything, trained to do nothing," and you will constantly have to prove your abilities through experience and relevant coursework. I think an MSEE goes a long way towards this. You may never be a PE or a "real engineer," but you will probably be employed.

Last edited:
I have a friend who got his BS in physics, but didn't like physics in graduate school. He is now working on EE in grad school. It's definitely possible.

The department made him take a few mid-level EE classes like electronics (op-amps, transistors, logic, etc), an introductory signals course, and a few design classes.

I think a BS in Physics is a great stepping stone for EE work in graduate school. You might be at a disadvantage in some fields, but with a few intro EE courses, you'll be caught up. The biggest problem will be that you have very little design experience. Since you guys did not have to do the mandatory senior capstone project, you have not worked on a large engineering design with a team. I'm sure you could work that detail out within your respective department.

There are a lot of EE fields that having a strong background in physics will be extremely helpful. You might consider going into one of those fields so you are not stuck with having to take a large amount of undergraduate EE classes.

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Engineering and a Bachelors in Physics?

A Masters in Engineering is a graduate degree that focuses on the practical application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, create, and improve technology and systems. A Bachelors in Physics, on the other hand, is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental laws and principles of nature, including motion, energy, and matter. While both degrees involve a strong foundation in math and science, a Masters in Engineering is more specialized and career-oriented, while a Bachelors in Physics is more theoretical and academic.

2. Can I pursue a Masters in Engineering after completing a Bachelors in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Engineering after completing a Bachelors in Physics. Many graduate programs in engineering accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, including physics. However, some programs may require students to complete prerequisite courses in engineering or related fields before being admitted.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Engineering after a Bachelors in Physics?

A Masters in Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, computer hardware and software, energy, manufacturing, and telecommunications. Some common job titles for graduates with this degree include design engineer, project engineer, research and development engineer, and systems engineer.

4. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Engineering after a Bachelors in Physics?

The duration of a Masters in Engineering program can vary depending on the specific field of engineering and the institution. In general, it takes about 1-2 years to complete a Masters in Engineering after a Bachelors in Physics. Some programs may offer an accelerated option for students who want to complete the degree in a shorter amount of time.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Masters in Engineering after a Bachelors in Physics?

A Masters in Engineering will provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your chosen field of engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, technical writing, and project management. You will also gain hands-on experience through laboratory work, research projects, and internships. Additionally, you will develop transferable skills, such as teamwork, communication, and leadership, which are highly valued in the job market.