Casey's First Day: Solving $\int t \sqrt{7t^2+12}dt$

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about u-substitution with the equation \int t \sqrt{7t^2+12}dt. The participants discussed using u=7t^2+12 as the first choice for the substitution, and clarified that dt should be substituted with 14t when using this u-value. They also discussed the simplification of the equation using this substitution.
Saladsamurai
First day of u subs...

[tex]\int t \sqrt{7t^2+12}dt[/tex]

I am assuming that u=t, but It is maiking a mess when I do that.

Just a hint please,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
your first choice on a u-substitution with a rational number should always be the entire thing under the square root.

try u=7*t^2+12 instead

let u be the radican (is that the proper term? i forget) :D

rocophysics said:
let u be the radican (is that the proper term? i forget) :D

do you mean like this?
bob1182006 said:
your first choice on a u-substitution with a rational number should always be the entire thing under the square root.

try u=7*t^2+12 instead

If I do this, I get [tex]\int tudt[/tex] and [tex]du=\frac{dt}{2\sqrt{7t^2+12}}[/tex] ...right?

I think I am confused...

no just the 7t^2+12

if u=7t^2+12
what is dt=??

Oh..one sec...

Brain Cramp![tex]u=7t^2+12[/tex]
so
[tex]du=14tdt[/tex]
[tex]\int t u^{1/2} dt *14*\frac{1}{14}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{14}\int \sqrt{u}* du[/tex]
and I got it from here..
Thanks guys,
Casey

1. What is the purpose of solving the integral in "Casey's First Day"?

The purpose of solving the integral in "Casey's First Day" is to find the area under the curve of the function represented by the integrand. This is an important concept in calculus and can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you approach solving this particular integral?

To solve the integral in "Casey's First Day", you can use substitution, integration by parts, or a combination of both. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

3. What are the steps involved in solving this integral?

The first step in solving this integral is to identify any patterns or special cases in the integrand. Then, choose an appropriate method (substitution or integration by parts) and perform the necessary calculations to simplify the integral. Next, apply any relevant trigonometric or algebraic identities to further simplify the integral. Finally, integrate the simplified expression and add any necessary constants of integration.

4. Can you provide an example of how this integral can be used in real life?

Yes, this integral can be used in calculating the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity. In this scenario, the integrand would represent the velocity of the object at a given time, and solving the integral would give the total distance traveled by the object over a specific time period.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving this type of integral?

One tip for solving this type of integral is to carefully choose the substitution variable in order to simplify the expression. Another helpful technique is to look for ways to manipulate the integrand to fit a known integral formula. Additionally, practice and familiarity with different integration techniques can improve efficiency in solving these types of integrals.