Dipositronium Molecule Synthesized

• Thread starter QuantumTuba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, physicists have recently synthesized a molecule containing two positronium atoms, a unique form of atom with both positrons and electrons in its outer shell. They have been able to monitor its properties through gamma rays emitted when the electron/positron pairs annihilate. The next challenge is to create a positronium Bose Einstein Condensate (BEC), which would produce coherent gamma rays and potentially a Gamma Ray Laser. The paper on this research was published in Nature and belongs in the Noteworthy Papers sticky thread. Further research is needed to determine the potential applications and implications of this discovery.
QuantumTuba
Apparently physicists have been able to synthesize a molecule that contains two positronium atoms, an exotic form of atom that contains both positrons and electrons in its outer shell. They were able to monitor the properties of the molecule by the gamma rays let off after annihilation of the electron/positron pairs. The next challenge is to make a positronium Bose Einstein Condensate, which, because all atoms would become coherent, would emit coherent gamma rays, producing a Gamma Ray Laser (I sometimes refer to these as GASERs, but no one knows what I'm talking about then).

Here's the article I read about it in.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/31125

I am sure those of you with more experience in physics than myself will have some interesting ideas on applications or implications of this research. Quick question, how long does it usually take to synthesize a BEC, and how quickly do the electron/positron pairs annihilate? In other words, would they be able, with current techniques, to make it into a BEC soon enough that the gamma rays would be coherent?

Physics news on Phys.org
The paper appeared yesterday in Nature: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7159/abs/nature06094.html;jsessionid=B507764337348265C72F47931880D201

Cassidy & Mills, Nature 449, 195-197 (2007)

This paper belongs in the Noteworthy Papers sticky thread.

Gokul43201 said:
The paper appeared yesterday in Nature: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7159/abs/nature06094.html;jsessionid=B507764337348265C72F47931880D201

Cassidy & Mills, Nature 449, 195-197 (2007)

This paper belongs in the Noteworthy Papers sticky thread.

If it belongs in the Noteworthy Papers sticky thread, does this mean I should repost it there, that the thread should be moved, or that I can leave it?

1. What is a Dipositronium Molecule?

A Dipositronium Molecule is a molecule made up of two positrons, which are subatomic particles with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. It is an exotic form of matter that is unstable and can only exist for a very short period of time before annihilation occurs.

2. How is a Dipositronium Molecule Synthesized?

A Dipositronium Molecule is synthesized by using a particle accelerator to create a beam of positrons. The positron beam is then directed towards a target material, such as a gas or solid, where the positrons will interact and form the molecule. This process is highly complex and requires precise control and measurement to successfully synthesize the molecule.

3. What are the potential applications of Dipositronium Molecules?

Dipositronium Molecules have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, antimatter research, and medical imaging. They can also provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of matter.

4. How long does a Dipositronium Molecule last?

A Dipositronium Molecule is highly unstable and typically only lasts for about 142 nanoseconds before it decays into gamma rays. However, under certain conditions, it can survive for up to 500 nanoseconds.

5. What challenges are faced in synthesizing Dipositronium Molecules?

The main challenges in synthesizing Dipositronium Molecules include controlling and manipulating the positron beam, finding suitable target materials, and accurately measuring the formation and decay of the molecule. The short lifespan of the molecule also adds to the difficulty in studying it.