Calculate molar masses in excel

• Thread starter janger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for MS excel macros to easily calculate atomic/molar masses. One person shares a link to a macro that does not work for Windows, while another suggests a different website that offers a similar free macro.
janger
[SOLVED] Calculate molar masses in excel

Hi all.

Does anyone know of some MS excel macros for easily calculating atomic/molar masses? After googling for hours the only (decent) one I can find is http://www.dartmouth.edu/~pchem/chemacro.html. Unfortunately it is supposedly a mac .sit file, but every windows program I've tried - including Stuffit - says it's not a valid archive. Maybe a mac user could extract it for me? Or are there other similar free macros out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
try

http://www.chemicalogic.com/mwcalc/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I just found that one myself and it will do what I need.

1. How do I calculate molar masses in Excel?

To calculate molar masses in Excel, you can use the formula =MMULT(MOLARITY, VOLUME), where "MOLARITY" is the concentration of the solution in moles per liter and "VOLUME" is the volume of the solution in liters.

2. Can I calculate molar masses for multiple compounds at once in Excel?

Yes, you can calculate molar masses for multiple compounds at once in Excel by using the formula =MMULT(MOLARITY, VOLUME) for each compound, and then summing the results using the SUM function.

3. How do I format the results of the molar mass calculation in Excel?

You can format the results of the molar mass calculation in Excel by selecting the cells with the results, right-clicking, and choosing "Format Cells." From there, you can choose the desired number format, such as "Number" or "Scientific," and adjust the decimal places if needed.

4. What if I have a solution with a different unit of volume, such as milliliters?

If your solution has a different unit of volume, such as milliliters, you can convert it to liters by dividing the volume by 1000. Then, you can use the formula =MMULT(MOLARITY, VOLUME) to calculate the molar mass in Excel.

5. Can I use Excel to calculate the molar mass of a gas?

Yes, you can use Excel to calculate the molar mass of a gas by first converting the gas volume to liters at standard temperature and pressure (STP) and then using the formula =MMULT(MOLARITY, VOLUME) to calculate the molar mass.