Significance of a singular matrix

In summary: Once you add a fifth point, the existing four points become in conflict with each other. This is what you are experiencing with your matrix A. Consider trying a different set of equations that are more "independent".
transient_itch
So I have a system of equations (composed of force and moment eqns) and I can split them up into matrices which will then look like this:
Ax = B
I know the matrices A and B are correct, because when I plug in known values for x from a working prog, I get the correct values for B. So that must mean A and B are correct, right?
HOWEVER, I am not able to invert A so that I may solve x = inv(A) * B.
The determinant of A is 0, so it's a singular matrix.
So what is the significance of an singular matrix?
Maybe there are redundant eqns involved? Am I looking at a statically indeterminant problem?
How does one fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
transient_itch said:
So I have a system of equations (composed of force and moment eqns) and I can split them up into matrices which will then look like this:
Ax = B
I know the matrices A and B are correct, because when I plug in known values for x from a working prog, I get the correct values for B. So that must mean A and B are correct, right?
HOWEVER, I am not able to invert A so that I may solve x = inv(A) * B.
The determinant of A is 0, so it's a singular matrix.
So what is the significance of an singular matrix?
Maybe there are redundant eqns involved? Am I looking at a statically indeterminant problem?
How does one fix this?
A singular matrix doesn't have an inverse! And yes, that means that the rows making up the matrix A are not independent which, in turn, means that the equations you are using are not independent- at least one is just a combination of the others. You don't have enough data to solve those equations.

Singularity of a matrix means that it becomes discontinuous at that point: take for example a black hole: it has a radius zero, which means that its gravitational force becomes undefined then; the same case here is when the adjoint of the co-efficient matrix we got is to be divided by the inverse, which is zero. Thus, the matrix is undefined there.

This is not a dead end :smile:. We have numerical methods like Gauss-Siedel and Jacobi iteration to find out the solution, that is, X.

let the eqn be of 3 variables, i.e., f(x1, x2, x3) = 0.

then we can write it as:
a11x1 + a12x2 + a13x3 = b1...1
a21x1 + a22x2 + a23x3 = b2...2
a31x1 + a32x2 + a33x3 = b3...3

then take initial gues values of x2(0) & x3(0). Put in eqn 1 n get x1(1).
Put x1(1), x3(0) n get x2(1) from eqn 2.
Put x1(1), x2(1) n get x3(1) from eqn 3.

Now we have the second guess values as: x1(1), x2(1) & x3(1).
Relaxation: x1(after iteration) = (some weightage)*x1(after iteration) + (1-weightage)*x1(before iteration).

same for x2 and x3.
Repeat the iterations till you get:
abs{x1(k+1),x2(k+1), x3(k+1) - x1(k),x2(k),x3(k)} < tolerance.

this will be your final set of x1, x2, x3 values.
:)
Hope this helps.
The jacobi iteration is simpler than this: Google it yourself.
:)
here's a reference: http://www.math-linux.com/spip.php?article48

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I don't know what is your application, so my hint maybe not be useful.
However, if you cannot invert that matrix you can still find the pseudoinverse of A (a.k.a. Moore-Penrose inverse, or generalized inverse).
This will give you the vector x which "gets closest" to the solution in terms of L2-norm. Namely, it is a closed form solution for the following:

[tex]{argmin}_{x}|Ax-b|_2[/tex]

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore–Penrose_pseudoinverse

Last edited:
WELL, THERE IS A LOT OF WAYS TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM!
First Gauss-Seidel, then Jacobi.
Now Moore-Penrose.
I just remembered one more: Gauss-Jordan elimination method of finding a MATRIX INVERSE
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gauss-JordanElimination.html

P.S.: ARE YOU AN ENGINEERING STUDENT?

try using a software named MATLAB: it has readymade methods of finding matrix inverse if you don't need to show to your professor/teacher how you got the answer matrix: X

Are you sure the methods you mentioned still work when the matrix A is singular?

I thought the Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse was the only one that provides the "best solution" in terms of least squares.
Keep also in mind that the Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse works also when A is not a square matrix!

cent percent sure! we have used it in our FORTRAN classes to solve sums... fresh out of grad...can't be mistaken

That means your truss topology or whatever you are working on is overconstrained. Similar to defining a plane with 4 points.

1. What is a singular matrix?

A singular matrix is a square matrix that does not have an inverse. This means that the matrix cannot be multiplied by another matrix to produce an identity matrix. In simpler terms, a singular matrix is a matrix that cannot be "reversed" or "undone".

2. Why is a singular matrix significant?

A singular matrix is significant because it has unique properties that can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, the determinant of a singular matrix is always 0, which can be useful in solving systems of equations and determining if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent.

3. What are some real-life examples of singular matrices?

One example of a real-life singular matrix is a transportation matrix used in linear programming. It represents the flow of goods between different locations and is often used in supply chain management. Another example is a covariance matrix used in statistics to measure the relationship between multiple variables.

4. How is a singular matrix different from a non-singular matrix?

A non-singular matrix, also known as an invertible matrix, has an inverse and can be multiplied by another matrix to produce an identity matrix. This means that a non-singular matrix can be reversed or undone. On the other hand, a singular matrix does not have an inverse and cannot be reversed.

5. Can a singular matrix be used in solving systems of linear equations?

Yes, a singular matrix can be used in solving systems of linear equations. In fact, a singular matrix can help determine if a system of equations has a unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. This can be done by calculating the determinant of the matrix and using it to determine the rank of the matrix.