Designing Spur Gear System for Robot Wheel Base

In summary, the design for a wheel base in a robot includes using a spur gear system attached to a wheel axel and driven by an electric motor. The number of teeth on the output gear will impact the efficiency of the gear but not the speed, which is determined by the overall diameter. To find the ratio of diameters that will give the greatest amount of torque, the number of teeth or diameter of the two mating gears can be compared. The formula (d1/d2)=(n2/n1)=(t1/t2) can be used, where d is the diameter, n is the speed in rpm, and t is the number of teeth.
travisr34
I am building a robot for a design class. Part of the design includes a wheel base to drive the robot forward. To accomplish this I was going to attach a spur gear system to a wheel axel and drive the input gear with an electric motor. The gears themselves will be made out of acrylic and cut out via a laser cam so I have a lot of options as far as how I make it. My question relates more to the design of the spur gears. I would like to know if the number of teeth that the output gear has, will in anyway impact on the speed/torque of the axel. Also while I know a greater diameter will allow for greater torque on the output gear it will also require the input gear to have a greater diameter which means more "back torque" on the input gear. Is there a way to figure out the ratio of diameters that will give me the greatest amount of torque? My goal is to get this to go as fast as possible with the given motors that I have.

Thank you for reading

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tooth size is dictated by the loading that will be applied to them, i.e. the torque you have to transmit. The actual number of teeth will impact the efficiency of the gear in one way or another but it will not effect the speed. The speed is dictated by the overall diameter.

Welcome to PF, Travis.
Essentially, you just compare the number of teeth, or the diameter, of the two mating gears to find the ratio. If the output gear is twice the size of the input, it will also have twice as many teeth, since they have to be the same pitch. That will reduce the speed in half and double the torque.
'How Stuff Works' has a great section on gears if you want to check it out.

travisr34 said:
I am building a robot for a design class. Part of the design includes a wheel base to drive the robot forward. To accomplish this I was going to attach a spur gear system to a wheel axel and drive the input gear with an electric motor. The gears themselves will be made out of acrylic and cut out via a laser cam so I have a lot of options as far as how I make it. My question relates more to the design of the spur gears. I would like to know if the number of teeth that the output gear has, will in anyway impact on the speed/torque of the axel. Also while I know a greater diameter will allow for greater torque on the output gear it will also require the input gear to have a greater diameter which means more "back torque" on the input gear. Is there a way to figure out the ratio of diameters that will give me the greatest amount of torque? My goal is to get this to go as fast as possible with the given motors that I have.

Thank you for reading

this answer regards to the first part of your question.
as per the formula (d1/d2)=(n2/n1)=(t1/t2) where d-dia of gears,n-speed in rpm,t-no of teeth, definitely the no of teeth on output gear will affect the speed.

this answer regards to the first part of your question.
as per the formula (d1/d2)=(n2/n1)=(t1/t2) where d-dia of gears,n-speed in rpm,t-no of teeth, definitely the no of teeth on output gear will affect the speed.

1. What is the purpose of designing a spur gear system for a robot wheel base?

The purpose of designing a spur gear system for a robot wheel base is to provide a reliable and efficient mechanism for transferring power from the motor to the wheels. It helps in achieving smooth and controlled movement of the robot, while also allowing for precise control of speed and torque.

2. How do you determine the gear ratio for a robot wheel base?

The gear ratio for a robot wheel base is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. This ratio will determine the speed and torque of the robot, and can be adjusted to meet the specific requirements of the robot's movement.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a spur gear system for a robot wheel base?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing a spur gear system for a robot wheel base. These include the weight and size of the robot, the terrain it will be operating on, the desired speed and torque, and the type of motor being used. The gear material and size, as well as the gear ratio, should also be carefully chosen for optimal performance.

4. How do you ensure the gear system is strong enough to withstand the load of the robot?

To ensure the gear system is strong enough to withstand the load of the robot, it is important to carefully select the material and size of the gears. Calculations should be done to determine the required gear strength based on the weight and intended use of the robot. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the gear system to prevent wear and tear.

5. Can a spur gear system be used for different types of robot wheel bases?

Yes, a spur gear system can be used for different types of robot wheel bases. However, the specific gear ratio and design may need to be adjusted based on the individual requirements and specifications of each robot. It is important to consider the factors mentioned above and make necessary modifications to ensure optimal performance for each type of robot wheel base.