Calculating Acceleration of a Flywheel: Tangential, Radial, and Resultant

• Thread starter bigtymer8700
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the tangential acceleration, radial acceleration, and resultant acceleration of a point on a flywheel with a radius of 0.300 that starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 0.600/s^2. The problem asks for the speed of the tip of the flywheel from the start, which is at 0 degrees. The final angular velocity is found using the equation w^2=w0+2a(theta-0) and then the linear speed at the circumference is calculated. There is some confusion about the units of atan and arad and whether they are referring to angular or linear acceleration.
bigtymer8700
A flywheel with a radius of 0.300 starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 0.600/s^2. i know how to solve for the atan but not for arad which is arad=w^2/r it ask Compute the magnitude of the tangential acceleration, the radial acceleration, and the resultant acceleration of a point on its rim at the start.

i know its 2pi=6.28rad all the way around and its acc. at .600rad/s^2 but i don't know where to go from there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is not clearly formulated. Write clearly what is to be found out. Show your attempt.

Last edited:
it says at the start so would thetaf and thetai be both 0?

That means final theta = 2*pi.

w^2 = 0^2 + 2*a*(2pi). So, you know final w(omega).

Now find the linear speed, at the circumference.

Last edited:
so that means w^2=0^2 +2(.600)(6.283) it comes out to be w=2.86 but it says its wrong

As I said previously, your problem was not clearly formulated. How much time or what is the total angle?

well if you use the w^2=Wo+2a(O-0o) its asking for the speed of the tip of the flywheel from the start so wouldn't the theta be 2xpi or just pi?

i agree with shooting star.. how long was it spun or what was its angular displacement?

and are u solving for the angular velocity or angular acceleration

By the way.. can u please explain what the units of atan and arad should be? it matters...
are atan and a rad angular acceleration or linear?

Last edited:
thats really where I am stuck on i solved the other parts of the problem asking for the atan arad at 60degrees and 120degrees but what value would i use for the start theta? 360 or 180, 0?

well it starts at 0... (rest), also answer my previous post.. because that's essential... and while you are at it.. write down the problem exactly verbatim. and your attempt :D

nvm yea you just use 0 for the start thanks guys

ok lol..

Hey bigtymer8700, you didn't put the D in the right place in your first post! Glad that you've understood.

What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

Why is average angular velocity important in physics?

Average angular velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects. It can also be used to calculate other important quantities such as angular acceleration and torque.

What are the units of average angular velocity?

The units of average angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s) in the SI system and revolutions per minute (rpm) in the imperial system.

How does average angular velocity differ from instantaneous angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is the average rate of change of angular displacement over a period of time, while instantaneous angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement at a specific moment in time.

Can average angular velocity be negative?

Yes, average angular velocity can be negative. A negative average angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction.