Circular Motion-Quick Question

• Thread starter pinkyjoshi65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary: At the bottom: Fc = Fn - FgThus: Fn = Fc + FgIn summary, the question asks for the net force on a rider on a ferris wheel with a radius of 15 m and a period of 60 s. The solution given in the textbook is incorrect, as the net force at points B and D should be calculated differently. Instead of using the direction of the centripetal force as positive, the direction of tension should be taken as positive. At the top of the wheel, the net force is equal to the centripetal force minus the weight, while at the bottom, it is equal to the centripetal force plus the weight. The book's solution incorrectly calculates the
pinkyjoshi65
Circular Motion--Quick Question

A ferris wheel has a radius of 15 m and a period of 60 s is shown below. Find the Fnet at points B and D if the rider has a mass of 60 kg.

Ok, so this is a solved problem from a physics textbook.

This is the solution given in the textbook.
At B
Fnet = Fc - Fg (since they act in the same direction)
At D
Fnet = Fc + Fg (since they act in the different directions)

Solution
At B:
Fnet = Fc - Fg = 686 N - 9.9 N = 676 N
At D:
Fnet = Fc + Fg = 686 N + 9.9 N = 696 N

They found Fc by using 4pi^2rm/T^2
Heres where the problem arises.
I think that this solution is wrong.
How I solved it:
I took the direction in which tension acts as positive.

So at B(at top of the wheel)

Net force= Fc+Fg

And at D(at the bottom of the wheel)

Net force= Fc-Fg

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you have for the net force at the top and bottom of the wheel are correct. The book is incorrect.

I'm confused. Does the question ask for net force, or the normal force? I understand that Fc = centripetal force and Fg = weight. (At the top and bottom positions, the centripetal force is the net force.)

uh..the question asks for net force.

Doc Al said:
I'm confused. Does the question ask for net force, or the normal force? I understand that Fc = centripetal force and Fg = weight. (At the top and bottom positions, the centripetal force is the net force.)

Hmm good point Doc Al. I was taking the net force to mean the force caused by the beams of the ferris wheel pulling the seat toward the center of the wheel. Now I'm confused...

pinkyjoshi65 said:
uh..the question asks for net force.
The net force on the rider, which is the sum of the normal force and the weight, is the centripetal force. The only difference at the top versus the bottom (assuming a uniform speed) is the direction of the net force.

What the book (and you) are presumably solving for seems like the normal force (the force exerted on the rider by the seat). That normal force is greater at the bottom of the wheel, since it acts up while gravity acts down. (Except for calling that the "net force", the book is correct.)

uh..but, if I take the direction the tension acts as positive, the book makes no sense to me. I mean the At point B(top) both Fg and the tension act in the same direction. So they should have the same sign.

pinkyjoshi65 said:
uh..but, if I take the direction the tension acts as positive, the book makes no sense to me. I mean the At point B(top) both Fg and the tension act in the same direction. So they should have the same sign.
At the top they do have the same sign, regardless of the chosen sign convention. So does the centripetal force. All three act downward. So?

Assuming that you really mean to calculate the tension (or normal force), not the net force:
At the top: Fc = Fn + Fg
Thus: Fn = Fc - Fg

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This can occur when an object is rotating around a fixed point or when it is moving in a circular path with a constant speed.

What is the difference between linear and circular motion?

The main difference between linear and circular motion is the path that the object follows. In linear motion, the path is a straight line, while in circular motion, the path is a circle. Additionally, linear motion involves a straight-line motion with constant speed, while circular motion involves a motion along a circular path with a constant speed.

What causes an object to experience circular motion?

An object experiences circular motion when an external force acts on it, causing it to move in a circular path. This force, known as centripetal force, is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving along the path at a constant speed.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by an external force, such as tension or gravity. Without centripetal force, an object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include a car going around a curve, a carousel ride, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Other examples include a ball being swung around on a string and a satellite orbiting the Earth.