Find the equation from a graph

• Thread starter Ronka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the equation for the sine graph is 2 sin(x-2) and the equation for the cosine graph is 2 cos(x-2). The amplitude of the graph is stretched by a factor of 2, the period remains the same, there is a phase shift of -2, and there is no vertical shift.
Ronka
Find the equation for Sine and cosine from a graph

Homework Statement

sin1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello people, i have had a little problem solving this graph. It looks really easy, but I am still couldn't solve it ?!

a x Sin (bx + c) + d

a = amplitude
b = period
c = phase shift
d = vertical shift

thx in advances.

Edit:

I have solved the equation for the Sine ( thank you folks )
Equation for Sine:
2 sin(1(x-2))

Trying to find the equation for Cosine:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edited out my answer because i wasn't aware of this rule. way to botch the first post in the forum, eh?

well, to be more helpful without giving an answer:

when you're looking at a graph, it really is rather simple... that purple one sure looks pretty basic, don't you think? pay attention to the places where the line/curve touches the x-axis and where the inflection points are so that you can better figure the stuff out.

Last edited:
As you say, it's two graphs of the form Y = a sin(bX + c) + d

So the answer is giving two sets of values for a, b, c and d.

Can you spot any of them? The a and d values are the easiest ones to start with.

As it says in the FAQ (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379) "Please DO NOT do someone's homework for them or post complete solutions to problems. Please give all the help you can, but DO NOT simply do the problem yourself and post the solution (at least not until the original poster has tried his/her very best)."

a = 2
d = 0

b = period remain the same = 2 phi
c = ...

since the graph is shifted to the right, means that it should be -c not +c
c = -2 ?!?

Is that the green or the pink you're working on, Ronka?

Im trying to find the equation of the green one. the pink one is just Sin(x).

Green ( one period or 2 phi ) :

2 sin(1(x - 2) ?! is this right?

Yes to a = 2 and d = 0.

It's pi not phi.

If pink is sin(X) then X is in radians.

Check:
sin(0) = 0
sin(π/2) = 1
sin(π) = 0
OK.

2 sin(1(x - 2) can't be right because the parentheses don't balance.
If you meant 2 sin(1(x - 2)) then it's simpler to write 2 sin(x - 2)
sin(x - 2) is good; it shifts the positive-going zero-crossing of sin(x) to the right.
Yes -- 2 sin(x - 2) looks right.

Equation for Sine:
2 sin(1(x-2))

Now i finally understand how to find the equation for Sine
Im now trying to find the equation for Cosine

I'll give it a try first. i'll post when I'm stuck :)

thx!

Now I don't understand! :smile:

Why are you choosing "2 sin(1(x-2))" in preference to the simpler "2 sin(x-2)"?

Are you wanting to show that b is 1 in "Y = a Sin (bx + c) + d"?

Just to make myself clear that that the period has been tretched ( i know you could clearly see from the graph ) but it just help me rember :)

The period hasn't been stretched. If you count the X distance between corresponding points on the green graph (like the maxima, the minima or the positive- and negative-going zero crossings) they are the same as the pink graph.

a = amplitude is stretched by times 2
b = period is unchanged
c = phase shift is -2
d = vertical shift is zero

What is the purpose of finding the equation from a graph?

The purpose of finding the equation from a graph is to determine the relationship between two variables represented on the graph. This can help in making predictions, analyzing trends, and understanding the behavior of the variables.

What information is needed to find the equation from a graph?

To find the equation from a graph, you need to know the coordinates of at least two points on the graph. These points can be used to calculate the slope of the line and the y-intercept, which are necessary components of the equation.

What are the different types of equations that can be found from a graph?

The type of equation that can be found from a graph depends on the shape of the graph. A linear equation can be found from a straight line graph, while a quadratic equation can be found from a parabolic graph. Other types of equations that can be found from graphs include exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations.

Can the equation be found for any type of graph?

No, the equation can only be found for graphs that represent a functional relationship between two variables. This means that there is a unique output for every input value. Graphs that do not have a consistent relationship between the variables, such as scatter plots, do not have an equation.

How can finding the equation from a graph be helpful in real life?

Finding the equation from a graph can be helpful in real life in many ways. For example, in physics, it can be used to predict the motion of objects, and in economics, it can be used to analyze trends in data. It can also be useful in engineering, biology, and other fields where data is collected and analyzed.