How Do You Calculate Final Velocity with Given Force and Time?

In summary, to find the final velocity of an object initially moving at an average velocity of -62 m/s along the x-axis, with a mass of 0.462kg, a time of 5s, and an average force of 0.8N, the equation used is F=m(Vf-Vi)/t. Plugging in the values, the final velocity is calculated to be -61.13 m/s.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

Find the final velocity of the object if it is initially moving along the x-axis with average velocity of -62 m/s.

Other information
mass=.462kg
time=5s
average force = 0.8N
impulse=4

Homework Equations

F=m(Vf-Vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the equation like this

(0.8N)=(.426kg)(Vf+62m/s)/(5s)

=-61.13m/s Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why they gave you impulse, you can solve the problem with this equation:

Vf = Vi + at

where Vf=final velocity, Vi=initial velocity, a=acc. and t=time.

Remember - the acc. is .8/.462 because F=ma, so a=F/m.

Good luck!

Vf = Vi + atVf= (-62m.s) + (.8/.462)(5)

= -53.3 m/s

Thats what I got but it isn't right. I'm sure I didn't up the algebra, did I plug something in wrong?

well then i guess your initial approach is correct. the equation I gave might not work because i didnt read the part that said "avg velocity". I think your -61 is correct

1. How do you calculate final velocity?

Final velocity (v) can be calculated by adding the initial velocity (u) to the product of acceleration (a) and time (t). The formula for final velocity is v = u + at.

2. What is the difference between final velocity and initial velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of its motion, while initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. In other words, final velocity is the result of adding the initial velocity and the change in velocity due to acceleration.

3. How do you calculate final velocity without acceleration?

If there is no acceleration, the final velocity will be equal to the initial velocity. In this case, the formula for final velocity will be v = u, where u is the initial velocity.

4. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative. A negative final velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

5. What units are used to measure final velocity?

Final velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The units will depend on the units used for initial velocity, acceleration, and time in the calculation.