Calculating Heat Value for Alcohol Combustion

In summary, the conversation involved a student discussing their assignment on investigating combustion of different types of fuels, specifically 4 alcohols. They mentioned conducting experiments to test the heat produced and asked for help understanding the formula for heat value. The student also mentioned being confused by their teacher's explanation and needing to convert calories to joules for their calculations.
hurricane_xx
Hey.
We have an assignment where we're investigating combustion of types of 'fuels'. I chose 4 alcohols- ethanol, methanol, propanol and octanol. I did a few experiments, with one testing the heat produced

Could you please explain the formula for the heat value- not quite sure what its called :| I need to find out heat produced kj/mole. It was a test where I burned a water-filled calirometer with the alcohol and recorded the waters temp evry 15 seconds under a period of time, and the measurements of the alcohol lost.

The teacher couldn't explain it. He just confused me even more.. well if it helps, all i remember about the formula is it contained delta H. haha I am a little clueless. sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do your work in units of calories. Somewhere, you need to find how to convert calories to joules. You must know the meaning of 1 calorie; your calculation of results should be uncomplicated. Amount of heat needed to raise temperature of one gram of water by one degree centigrade = calorie

Hello there. I am happy to assist you with understanding the formula for calculating heat value for alcohol combustion. The formula you are referring to is called the heat of combustion, also known as the enthalpy of combustion. This is a measure of the energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion.

The formula for calculating the heat of combustion is as follows:

Heat of Combustion = (Heat produced by the reaction / Moles of substance burned)

To calculate the heat produced by the reaction, you will need to use the change in temperature of the water in the calorimeter, as well as the specific heat capacity of water (4.18 J/g°C). The change in temperature can be determined by subtracting the initial temperature of the water from the final temperature.

To find the moles of substance burned, you will need to use the mass of the alcohol used in the experiment and its molar mass. The molar mass can be found by adding up the atomic masses of the elements in the alcohol.

The formula for molar mass is:

Molar Mass = (Mass of substance / Moles of substance)

Once you have all the necessary values, you can plug them into the formula for heat of combustion to find the heat produced per mole of substance burned, which is measured in units of energy (kJ/mole).

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the formula for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy experimenting!

1. How is heat value calculated for alcohol combustion?

The heat value for alcohol combustion is calculated by determining the amount of energy released when the alcohol is burned. This is typically measured in units of joules, and is based on the chemical equation for the combustion reaction.

2. What factors affect the heat value of alcohol combustion?

The heat value of alcohol combustion can be affected by several factors, including the type of alcohol being used, the amount of alcohol being burned, the presence of impurities in the alcohol, and the efficiency of the combustion process.

3. What is the difference between the heat value of different alcohols?

The heat value of different alcohols can vary due to their molecular structure and chemical composition. For example, methanol has a lower heat value than ethanol because it contains fewer carbon atoms and releases less energy when burned.

4. How is the heat value of alcohol combustion used in real-world applications?

The heat value of alcohol combustion is used to determine the energy content of various fuels, including biofuels and ethanol blends. It is also important in industries such as brewing and distilling, where the heat value of alcohol is used to calculate the alcohol content of beverages.

5. Can the heat value of alcohol combustion be affected by external factors?

Yes, the heat value of alcohol combustion can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of oxygen. These factors can impact the efficiency of the combustion process and therefore alter the amount of energy released during the reaction.