Reference to a peer reviewed paper

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper published in Physical Review Letters about creating wormholes with small violations of the Averaged Null Energy Condition. The question is raised about whether the Casimir Effect, which is a violation of the Weak Energy Condition, could also be used to create working wormholes. This could potentially lead to instant interstellar communication using photons. A related paper is mentioned, providing a possible connection between the Casimir Effect and wormhole technology.
Northprairieman
Hello

I am new to this forum and I just wanted to post about a paper that I found in Physical Review Letters. It is in Volume 90, number 20, 201102 (2003). It is titled "Traversable Wormholes with Arbitrarily Small Energy Condition Violations", by Matt Visser et al.

In this paper, it is shown mathematically that wormholes can be made with very small violations of the Averaged Null Energy Condition. My question is, is the Casimir Effect a violation of the Averaged Null Energy Condition? As shown in another paper:

A `warp drive' with more reasonable total energy requirements
Chris Van Den Broeck
Class. Quantum Grav. 16 No 12 (December 1999) 3973-3979

on page 3974, the Casimir Effect is a violation of the Weak Energy Condition.

I was just bringing this up because it would seem like an overlooked profound discovery to make working wormholes with today's technology (the Casimir Effect), even if the wormhole was only big enough to let say photons through. It would still be a method for instant interstellar communication if only photons could pass through.

Physics news on Phys.org
Northprairieman said:
I am new to this forum and I just wanted to post about a paper that I found in Physical Review Letters. It is in Volume 90, number 20, 201102 (2003). It is titled "Traversable Wormholes with Arbitrarily Small Energy Condition Violations", by Matt Visser et al.
Proper link: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.201102

Northprairieman said:
A `warp drive' with more reasonable total energy requirements
Chris Van Den Broeck
Class. Quantum Grav. 16 No 12 (December 1999) 3973-3979
Proper link: https://doi.org/10.1088/0264-9381/16/12/314

1. What does it mean for a paper to be "peer reviewed"?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a specific field evaluate and critique a research paper before it is published. This helps to ensure the quality and accuracy of the research being presented.

2. Who conducts the peer review process?

The peer review process is typically conducted by a panel of experts, often referred to as "peers," who have knowledge and experience in the same field as the research paper being reviewed.

3. How do I know if a paper has been peer reviewed?

Most reputable academic journals will state if a paper has gone through the peer review process. Additionally, many databases and search engines allow you to filter results to show only peer reviewed papers.

4. Why is it important to reference a peer reviewed paper?

Referencing a peer reviewed paper adds credibility to your own research by showing that your work has been evaluated and approved by experts in the field. It also allows readers to easily access and verify the information you are citing.

5. Are all peer reviewed papers of high quality?

No, while the peer review process does help to ensure the quality of a paper, it is not a guarantee of accuracy or validity. It is always important to critically evaluate any research paper, regardless of whether it has been peer reviewed or not.