What is the traditional New Year's Eve meal in Peru?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Year
In summary, the people are going out to a party, and the person writing the summary is staying home. They will be eating pizza and watching a movie. The person will be going to San Diego tomorrow.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I won't be around tomorrow night to enjoy the annual near-beer and Nyquil New Year's Eve countdown (I actually have real life friends to spend the evening with this year :biggrin:), so I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy New Year a bit early, and at least get the party started. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I'll be completely toasted on martinis. :biggrin: That's the drink of choice my friends have requested, so that's what we're going with (after a dinner of cornish hens, mandarin orange and apple stuffing, rosemary roasted baby potatoes, snow peas, and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert...or maybe during and before dinner too :biggrin:).

Okay, how are you all celebrating New Year's Eve so we can all make Evo jealous. :biggrin: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
I won't be around tomorrow night to enjoy the annual near-beer and Nyquil New Year's Eve countdown (I actually have real life friends to spend the evening with this year :biggrin:), so I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy New Year a bit early, and at least get the party started. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I'll be completely toasted on martinis. :biggrin: That's the drink of choice my friends have requested, so that's what we're going with (after a dinner of cornish hens, mandarin orange and apple stuffing, rosemary roasted baby potatoes, snow peas, and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert...or maybe during and before dinner too :biggrin:).

Okay, how are you all celebrating New Year's Eve so we can all make Evo jealous. :biggrin: :rofl:

I am going out with three air stewardesses, we will attend the Basil Swaits
new years do, a right opulent bash, then who knows what.

I'll be home studying some cool maths, and will enjoy a mug of my favorite beer. I have to work on Tuesday anyways.

Happy New Year!:rofl:

Last edited:
My 16-month daughter is crazy about pizza, so, for supper, we'll have pizza delivered. After we put our daughter to bed, my wife and I will eat chocolates while watching a movie on DVD.

wolram said:
I am going out with three air stewardesses, we will attend the Basil Swaits
new years do, a right opulent bash, then who knows what.

Winner!

I am going to San Diego tomorrow. The bf is taking me to dinner at a German restaurant.

Going out with 10 of my friends (for drinks) half of them ladies. :uhh:

Bladibla said:
Going out with 10 of my friends (for drinks) half of them ladies. :uhh:

Well, half ladies, and assuming the other half are gentlemen and not trolls or anteaters, then you've got a perfectly matched party! Everyone has someone to kiss at midnight. :wink: :biggrin:

My wife and I are going to spend a quiet evening at home, probably watching a few episodes of BBC's "Planet Earth" enjoying some good food and likely turning in long before the ball drops. Due to my medical problems with fragrances, we've been unable to join friends for festivities for years, but we've developed our own little traditions for holidays like this. New Year's is pretty free-wheeling, so anything could happen. Maybe some nice crab-cakes with dressing made from chili relish and mayo...maybe some BBQ spare ribs...who knows?

Did someone say crabcakes!? Cant say crabs around a Marylander without sharing, sorry! The crab is our state bird. Need Old Bay?

Cyrus said:
Did someone say crabcakes!? Cant say crabs around a Marylander without sharing, sorry! The crab is our state bird. Need Old Bay?
I worked for a time for a company in Columbia, and since I was a consultant, and pretty much lived in hotels and ate in restaurants, I asked locals to steer me to their favorite crab shacks, etc.

The best crab cakes I've ever had have been prepared here in Maine out of Pacific crab. We have wonderful crab here in Maine, but it is never as sweet or complex in flavor as the Pacific varieties (either the stuff that comes out of the arctic or the crab that comes from SE Asia). My wife picks up crabmeat from time to time, and depending on the flavor, she invariably whips up some cakes that will force you to eat until you want to bust. She makes the crab-cakes and I make up the sauces out of mayo and my chili relishes and salsas. Generally, the more delicate-flavored crab gets milder salsas in the mix, and the richer ones can stand a little more competition.

Quiet evening at home. My rowdy days are long over.

We have snow and rain tonight, so I imagine most out doors places will be cold and damp tomorrow night.

I'm quite content to have a quiet evening at home. A nice fire would be nice, but we don't have a fireplace.

And I'll probably be reading papers on interstellar plasmas.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:

I will be working on a circuit and pounding down shots of Nyquil from a dirty shot glass. Tsu has to work as well - someone has to brainscan the drunks that crash their cars.

Yay, finally New Year comes, I am soo happy!
I will go buy a big delicious baked duck in a store in Chinese town. I am jealous of the business they are doing since they attract so many customers.

Moonbear said:

Hope you'll have fun!

As a special treat, why don't you all have a bit of "Smalahove" (Sheep's head), a renowned Norwegian delicacy:
smalahove_served.jpg

Eat and enjoy! :smile:

Psst..The squishy eyes are the tastiest part

Can you eat the eyeballs? I don't see how there is much meat to eat on the head though? It seems mostly skull, with a thin layer of fat and skin.

There's brain as well. :smile:

It looks like it would taste like duck.

Im not a huge fan of Lamb. I like a steak cooked rare. Lamb is like a stake well done - chewing gum.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
It looks like it would taste like duck.
I dunno.
I have never dared to eat either lutefisk or smalahove..

Bock Bock Bock Bock Bockkkkkkkkkkk.

arildno said:
Hope you'll have fun!

As a special treat, why don't you all have a bit of "Smalahove" (Sheep's head), a renowned Norwegian delicacy:
smalahove_served.jpg

Eat and enjoy! :smile:

Psst..The squishy eyes are the tastiest part

If i was given that i would puke, i bet not many Norweedians eat it, is the portion of dick for decoration?

It's not dick, just sausage. :smile:

arildno said:
It's not dick, just sausage. :smile:

Ops, it looks just like a knob end.

wolram said:
Ops, it looks just like a knob end.
Now THAT's gross..

That looks disgusting. I was going to ask what the sausage was made of -- but wolram had that covered.

Err.. And that's just the "Before" pic. Here's the "After":

smalahove_just_eaten.jpg

:yuck:

Last edited:
Have you eaten it?
It was my New Year's present to Moonbear..

Happy new year everyone!:smile:

Snow and ice here, so I will be staying home. A few beers with the neighbors and a giant bonfire tonight, to me, that's just perfect.

I missed the Christmas Party on PF but I don't want to miss the New Year bash. Happy New Year to all the PF members! :smile:

Someone's going to have to take my place tonight heading up the Annual PF New Year's Bash. I'm bed ridden due to something happening with my broken arm not knitting, or possibly the injury I thought I originally had to my shoulder. ANYWAY, I'm in excrutiating pain and can only make it to the computer for a few minutes before the pain drives me back to bed. Yes, I'm on painkillers, no they're not working. Yes, I'm on a muscle relaxant, yes it's making me ill.

Who can take over the helm tonight? Who will throw a party for the injured Evo? :cry:

DO NOT FORGET - you must eat black eyed peas (coins) and greens (dollars) on New Years day so you have a prosperous New Year!

Arildno, that is the most horrible thing that I have ever seen on a plate!

To Arildno: wow i can't imagine eating that, looks kinda gross

What was the sheeps head on a bed of? Looked like pure fat.

Happy New Year all! I have tickets to the local pub who have a buskers night running. Must be good cos I've been there the previous 2 years.

Sorry you're bed ridden Evo, I'll have a drink for you. :frown:

Yes--HAPPY NEW YEAR--everyone!

arildno---what's the dessert?--the hoofs?

Evo--hope you're feeling better soon, too

Kurdt said:
Sorry you're bed ridden Evo, I'll have a drink for you. :frown:

I'm sorry too. I'll have a few chocolates for you.

Thanks guys!

It's times like this when I really miss my laptop, dragging a desktop computer and monitor into bed with me isn't feasable.

arildno said:
Have you eaten it?
It was my New Year's present to Moonbear..

I'm so...um...honored? As if the cooked head on a plate isn't bad enough, what the heck is that yellow stuff under it? It looks like it threw up on the plate before being served!

It seems one of my guests has a cold (how kind of him to share it with everyone tonight), so when he asked if he should bring anything, and I told him only beer if my selection isn't to his liking, he informed me he's sticking with water because the Nyquil (or right now, DayQuil) won't go well with alcohol. Darn, had I known, I'd have picked up some near-beer for him. :biggrin: So, I won't be parting with the Nyquil on New Year's Eve tradition entirely afterall.

Evo! I can't believe you've managed to make yourself bedridden now! (Um, wait, maybe I can believe that.) You were supposed to take it easy with that arm until it healed, not keep reinjuring it. I think we need to dose you with Nyquil just to keep you in bed long enough for your arm to finish healing. :tongue: