Conductors and Equipotential Lines - Fun

In summary, the question is asking you to draw equipotential lines for a conductor at various distances from the conductor's neutral point. The lines should extend outwards from the neutral point in a direction that corresponds to the electric field strength.
fatcat39
Conductors and Equipotential Lines - Fun!

Homework Statement

Consider the following two conductors. conductor A is grounded so that it has a voltage of 0 V and conductor B is charged up so it has a voltage of +20 V. Draw in the equipotential lines and then draw in the E field lines indicating direction of the E field. Draw lines for every 2 volts. A is shaped like a diamond and B is shaped like a circle.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused - could someone define exactly what a grounded conductor is? (I can't find a good definition online or in any of my textbooks). Also, the problem says to draw lines for every 2, so am I correct in assuming that A has no field lines but has equipotential lines and that B would have 5 field lines and the standard circular equipotential lines?

Also - A is neutral and B is positive. So does B's equipotential field overlap A's or does it just go around it? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are really confused over here. Electric field lines are drawn to represent the direction of the electric field strength, just draw them spaced evenly apart. Something that is grounded means that it is at zero potential and is earthed. Just like how lightning conductors are grounded...to the ground. from zero potential to +20V, the potential increases towards the higher potential.

What the question is trying to ask you to do is to draw equipotential lines at various distances from A. At +2v, +4V etc etc

Okay, so A has no lines whatsoever, but B has both electric field lines and equipotential circles that expand outwards but stop when they encounter A?

Does a grounded conductor still have an electric field? Or not at all?

Erm, what do you understand by electric field lines? Electric field lines extend out from a point charge(positive). Does the potential increase or decrease as the distance from the charge increases? So between two given values of potential, in which direction does the electric field lines extend? where do you draw them?

The potential increases as the distance from the charge increases. Electric field lines extend out from point charges that are positive to negative point charges. So, between two given values of potential (ie. 0 and 20), the lines extend from 20 outwards, spaced evenly?

- I know what to do when it's positive and negative, it's the grounding and neutral that's throwing me off, I think.

1. What are conductors?

Conductors are materials that allow electric current to flow through them easily. They have a high density of free electrons, which are able to move freely in response to an electric field.

2. What are equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that represent points in a space where the electric potential is the same. These lines are always perpendicular to the electric field lines and can be used to visualize the strength and direction of the electric field.

3. How are conductors and equipotential lines related?

Conductors and equipotential lines are closely related because conductors create equipotential surfaces. This means that the electric potential is the same at all points on the surface of a conductor. In other words, there is no potential difference within a conductor.

4. Why are conductors important in electricity?

Conductors are important because they allow the flow of electric current, which is essential for the functioning of many electrical devices and systems. They also help to distribute electric charge and can be used to shield against electric fields.

5. Can conductors and equipotential lines be used for fun activities?

Yes, conductors and equipotential lines can be used for fun activities such as creating a human circuit, making a fruit battery, or building a Van de Graaff generator. These activities help to demonstrate the principles of electricity and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.