What is the solution to (cosx)^2 - 2sinxcosx - (sinx)^2 = 0, 0 ≤ x ≤ 2π?

• Thread starter glass.shards
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about solving a trigonometry question involving the equations (cosx)^2 - 2sinxcosx - (sinx)^2 = 0 and cos2x-sin2x=0. The participants discuss different hints and methods to simplify the equations and eventually arrive at the solution of tan2x=1, with four possible answers being π/8, 5π/8, 9π/8, and 13π/8.
glass.shards
[SOLVED] Trig question

Hi, I'm working on some trig questions and can't get the answer for this last question; I have a hunch that it might be one of those obvious ones where you think too much :uhh: ...

Either way, help would be much appreciated!

solve (cosx)^2 - 2sinxcosx - (sinx)^2 = 0, 0 ≤ x ≤ 2π giving the answer in exact form

Physics news on Phys.org
PF welcome.
ok, you should really tell us what you have tried.
hint: if [tex]\sin \,x \neq 0[/tex] you can divide through and eliminate the cos and sin... and put them into another trig function.
when sin x =0 then it is simple eh?
(same applies to cos)

Thanks mjsd,

I've established that it can be simplified to cos2x-sin2x=0, but I'm not sure where to go from there... unless cos2x and sin2x are both zero?

How can you divide through to eliminate cos and sin?

You might also consider temporarily substituting a for cosx and b for sinx, and see if you get anything that looks easier to solve.

glass.shards said:
Thanks mjsd,

I've established that it can be simplified to cos2x-sin2x=0, but I'm not sure where to go from there... unless cos2x and sin2x are both zero?

How can you divide through to eliminate cos and sin?

What about trying mjsd's hint in the last equation: divide by [tex]\sin2\,x[/tex] if [tex]\sin2\,x \neq 0[/tex]

or

change [tex] \cos2\,x[/tex] to [tex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-2\,x)[/tex].

To continue belliot4488's suggestion, can you solve [itex]a^2- 2ab- b^2= 0[/itex] for a in terms of b?

oh! I think I've got it:

divide both sides by cos2x to get tan2x=1
work out four answers to be π/8, 5π/8, 9π/8, and 13π/8

is this correct?

Thanks for everyone's quick replies! :D

Correct! :smile:

Thank you so much!

What is the range of x for this trigonometric equation?

The range of x for this equation is between 0 and 2π, inclusive. This means that the possible values for x can be any number from 0 to 2π, including 0 and 2π.

What does the symbol ≤ mean in this trigonometric equation?

The symbol ≤ means "less than or equal to". This means that the values of x can be equal to 0 or 2π, but cannot be greater than 2π.

What units are used for x in this trigonometric equation?

The units for x in this equation are radians. Radians are a unit of measurement for angles and are commonly used in trigonometry.

What is the significance of 0 and 2π in this trigonometric equation?

The values of 0 and 2π are significant in this equation because they represent the starting and ending points of the unit circle. These values are important in trigonometry because they help determine the values of sine, cosine, and other trigonometric functions for any angle within the range of 0 to 2π.

Can the values of x in this trigonometric equation be negative?

No, the values of x in this equation cannot be negative because the range is limited to 0 to 2π, which only includes positive values. Negative values of x would fall outside of this range.