Solve Molarity for 40 g Sodium Hydroxide in 1 L Solution

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary: But I could see how the 1 g would be easy to miss if it were recorded as a '4'.In summary, the conversation involves a question about the molarity of a solution containing 40 grams of sodium hydroxide dissolved in 1 liter of water. After converting the mass to moles and using the equation for molarity, the correct answer is determined to be (C) 1 M. However, the book's explanation uses the value of 10 grams, which is not mentioned in the original question. It is suggested that this could be a mistake or a trick.
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

another satII chem question:
Forty grams of sodium hydroxide is dissolved in enough water to make 1 liter of solution. What is the molarity of the solution?
(A) 0.25 M
(B) 0.5 M
(C) 1 M
(D) 1.5 M
(E) 4 M

Homework Equations

Molarity = (number of moles of solute) / (1 L of solution)

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i converted 40 g of NaOH to moles so...
40 g NaOH x (1 mol NaOH) / (40 g NaOH)= 1 mol
so...
Molarity = (1 mol) / (1 L) = 1 M

but the book says the answer is (A) & their explanation is...
NaOH is 40 g/mol. 10 g is 10/40 or 0.25 mol in 1 L or 0.25 M

i have no idea, how they're getting the 10.
and would appreciate any help at alll.

thank you so much guys :biggrin:

also; if anyone knows how to insert division signs to make the presentation look ANY better, because right now it looks messy!...i was trying to use the underline thing, but the formatting got all messed up!

Physics news on Phys.org
40 gr in 1 liter gives 1 mol NaOH solution, I think the book is wrong because I can't see any reason for using 10 gr that is not given in the question.

thanksyou :)

YAY!
thank you so much guys!
i was feeling a little down, as to why i wasn't getting this little molarity problem.
and two physics-forum people agreeing with me makes me feel a whole lot better.
thanks once again! :biggrin:

Do you think it is possible that someone penciled in the '4' in 40 from what was originally a '1'? If so, that's a pretty dirty trick.

1. What is molarity and how is it calculated?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of the solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

2. How do I determine the number of moles of a solute in a given amount of solution?

To determine the number of moles of a solute, you will need to know the mass of the solute and its molar mass. You can then use the formula: number of moles = mass of solute / molar mass.

3. How can I solve for molarity if given the mass and volume of a solution?

If you are given the mass and volume of a solution, you can use the formula: molarity = mass of solute / molar mass * volume of solution. Make sure to convert the volume to liters if it is not already in that unit.

4. What is the molar mass of sodium hydroxide?

The molar mass of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is 40.01 g/mol.

5. Can you provide an example of how to solve for molarity using the given information?

Yes, using the information of 40 g of sodium hydroxide in 1 L of solution, we can calculate the molarity as follows: molarity = (40 g NaOH / 40.01 g/mol) / 1 L = 1 mol/L. Therefore, the molarity of the solution is 1 M.