Solve Kinematic Problem Involving Cylinder, Piston and Slider

• Thread starter atorlakovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary: I don't even know what it is.In summary, someone is trying to solve a Kinematic problem with a cylinder, piston and slider. The approximate solution was found, but it is not sure if it is good enough. The person is asking for help from the community.
atorlakovic
Hey,
Would anyone be able to solve this Kinematic Problem?
At least approximately.

The mechanism in question is a cylinder, piston and a slider. The cylinder is fixed on a pivot in the middle of its body, obviously from the outside.

I have found some approximate solution, but I am not sure if it is good enough.

Thanks in advance,
Atif

Attachments

• kinematic problem.png
    kinematic problem.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 438
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks like homework to me, why don't you post your attempt at a solution for it first and we can point out any errors?

Mech_Engineer said:
This looks like homework to me, why don't you post your attempt at a solution for it first and we can point out any errors?

I came here to ask for help, if you’re not going to help, don’t reply. I don't want this to discussion to burst into an argument about nothing. I have a problem and I am asking this community to help me solve it.

If you have nothing of value to post, simply do not post.

Whoever can solve this, is a genius.

It is for my father.

He talked about using some program called Mathematician 5? He said that anyone that knew how to use the program, could solve this problem in a relatively short amount of time...

Please help, It would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some exceptional minds on this forum, so I am asking those people for help. Even if it looks like homework... it is something that we need closure on and fast...

Thank you.

p.s. Sorry If i sound hostile Mech_Engineer, I am just stressed.

I don't understand what is being asked here. All I see is a picture, what are you trying to solve for? I see a couple of equations, what have you worked out so far? The forum has a pretty strict policy conserning showing work before requesting help.

Last edited:
First off, can the attitude. Simply posting a question and then waiting for people to solve your problem for you is not how we operate here.

Next. Formulate a proper question. What are you looking for? From your picture, all I can tell is that you are trying to figure out the path the face of the piston will follow in space.

FredGarvin said:
First off, can the attitude. Simply posting a question and then waiting for people to solve your problem for you is not how we operate here.

Amen.

It seems of recent there is more and more of this here.

CS

FredGarvin said:

Next. Formulate a proper question. What are you looking for? From your picture, all I can tell is that you are trying to figure out the path the face of the piston will follow in space.

Sorry,

I didn't know the forum has a policy on this type of thing..
I have to talk to my dad about what he wanted to find out. He didn't tell me anything. I don't even know what kinematics is. He just told me to post this and ask if anyone can solve this... I figured if he said nothing, it must be self-explanatory. It obivously isn't.

It does appear that he is looking for the position of the piston with the changing values of the dependent variables. However, it is nice to have it stated explicitly.

BTW, kinematics is the process of describing an object's motion without worrying about forces, i.e. positions, velocities and accelerations but no forces.

FredGarvin said:
It does appear that he is looking for the position of the piston with the changing values of the dependent variables. However, it is nice to have it stated explicitly.

BTW, kinematics is the process of describing an object's motion without worrying about forces, i.e. positions, velocities and accelerations but no forces.

I think you are right Fred; he is trying to find something like that out?
He told me that the equation is at the top... which he thinks its obivous what needs to be found out. I think I drew the graph badly.. haha... I'm a graphic designer... not a engineer so I haven't got a clue about this type of thing.

Again, sorry for the trouble, and thank you for seeing past my Jackass-ness.

Ok, I think C,H denote the y,x position of the pivot's center, constatn. Find the constants for cylinder width, and radius of rotation around the pivot which will give the dependant variable for the stroke. You should be able to work something out from there.

DrClapeyron said:
Ok, I think C,H denote the y,x position of the pivot's center, constatn. Find the constants for cylinder width, and radius of rotation around the pivot which will give the dependant variable for the stroke. You should be able to work something out from there.

Wow, thanks for the help mate!
I will tell my dad right away.

Thanks!

try this:

Define the angle the cylinder makes with the ground to be theda.
tan(theda) = (y-H)/(C-x)

also
tan(theda) = y/sqrt(L^2 - y^2)

eliminate theda
(y-H)/(C-x) = y/sqrt(L^2 - y^2)

since H, C, L are constants, you have a function of y with respect to x.

MikeLizzi said:
try this:

Define the angle the cylinder makes with the ground to be theda.
tan(theda) = (y-H)/(C-x)

also
tan(theda) = y/sqrt(L^2 - y^2)

eliminate theda
(y-H)/(C-x) = y/sqrt(L^2 - y^2)

since H, C, L are constants, you have a function of y with respect to x.

thanks Mike,
you are indeed the man! :)

thanks again!

1. What is a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider?

A kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the movement and forces of these three components in a mechanical system. It is commonly encountered in the design and operation of engines and other machinery.

2. How do you solve a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider?

To solve a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider, you will need to apply principles of kinematics, mechanics, and thermodynamics. This typically involves setting up equations based on the geometry, forces, and motion of the components, and then solving for the unknown variables using algebra or numerical methods.

3. What are some common assumptions made when solving a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider?

Some common assumptions made when solving a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider include assuming ideal conditions such as no friction or imperfections in the components, and assuming the system is in equilibrium. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and analysis, but may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving kinematic problems involving a cylinder, piston, and slider?

Solving kinematic problems involving a cylinder, piston, and slider has many real-life applications, particularly in the design and optimization of engine systems in vehicles, industrial machinery, and power generation. It is also important in the design of hydraulic and pneumatic systems, where the movement and forces of cylinders and pistons are key components.

5. What are some challenges encountered when solving a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider?

One of the main challenges encountered when solving a kinematic problem involving a cylinder, piston, and slider is accurately modeling and accounting for all the forces and factors that influence the system's behavior. This can include factors such as friction, inertia, and external forces, which may require complex calculations or simulations to accurately capture. Additionally, real-world systems may have variations or uncertainties that make it difficult to apply theoretical calculations directly.