Measuring Variable Plane Flow Rate

In summary, CS suggests that the calculator found here is accurate, but that for a 100-ft length pipe with a Blue Line HD pump, the pressure drop should be about 13.5 psi.
plucker_08
guys, how to measure the volumetric flow rate pass thru a plane that varies in area (small variation)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you inferring that you have some kind of orifice valve or something varying the flow area?

FredGarvin said:
Are you inferring that you have some kind of orifice valve or something varying the flow area?

something varying he flow area. i would like to measure the flow rate passing thru the condenser and the evaporator of a window-type air conditioner

based on what you guys are asking, we have the same kind of issue, we're a network of fish enthusiasts http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f217/head-loss-calculator-112890.html who are discussing whether or not the calculator found here is accurate or not... if anyone would like to take a look at it and help us out it would be rightly appreciated, especially since I am really, really inept when it comes to math.

fishfool said:
based on what you guys are asking, we have the same kind of issue, we're a network of fish enthusiasts http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f217/head-loss-calculator-112890.html who are discussing whether or not the calculator found here is accurate or not... if anyone would like to take a look at it and help us out it would be rightly appreciated, especially since I am really, really inept when it comes to math.

Hard to tell since they don't state all of the required inputs. I presume that they make some assumptions for you and then just use the requested data to come up with their answer.

However, a quick hand calculation shows that for a 100-ft length pipe with a Blue Line HD pump (have no idea what the specs are for that pump so I'm using the output flow rate in the calc) shows that you should have about a 13.5 psi pressure drop, not 10.6 psi like they indicated. I'm assuming they are using fresh water with a viscosity of 2.3 cP and a temperature of 60 degrees F, as well as stainless steel pipe. Therefore their answer seems reasonable based on the limited information and assumptions made.

Hope that helps.

CS

wow thanks
well
uh
>math idiot<
least it helps me know if it's accurate ahahah :D

1. How do you measure variable plane flow rate?

The most common way to measure variable plane flow rate is by using a flow meter. This device measures the volume or mass of fluid passing through a certain point in a specific amount of time.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of variable plane flow rate measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of variable plane flow rate measurements, including the type of flow meter used, the properties of the fluid being measured, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and any obstructions or disturbances in the flow.

3. Can variable plane flow rate be measured in both liquids and gases?

Yes, variable plane flow rate can be measured in both liquids and gases. However, different flow meters may be required for each type of fluid due to differences in their properties and behavior.

4. How is variable plane flow rate used in practical applications?

Measuring variable plane flow rate is important in many industrial and scientific processes. It is used to monitor and control the flow of liquids and gases in pipelines, determine the efficiency of pumps and turbines, and ensure the proper functioning of heating and cooling systems.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring variable plane flow rate?

While flow meters are an effective tool for measuring variable plane flow rate, there are some limitations to consider. These include the potential for errors due to calibration, the need for regular maintenance and cleaning, and the inability to accurately measure flow in very small or turbulent systems.