Calculating Stopping Distance

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling up a 15 degree slope at a speed of 35.0 m/s and the driver slamming on the brakes to skid to a halt. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and road is 0.800. The goal is to find the car's acceleration and stopping distance using the equation x=xo + voxt+ axt^2/2. The person discussing the problem believes this is the right approach and encourages the other person to continue working on it. If they do not get the correct answer, they can seek help. Another potential equation that could be used is v^2=u^2+2as.
cec87
Problem:
A car is traveling up a 15 degree slope at a speed of 35.0 m/s when the driver slams on the brakes and skids to a halt. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and road is 0.800. Find the cars acceleration and the stopping distance.

I found the acceleration and was trying to the find the stopping distance using x=xo + voxt+ axt^2/2. I don't know if this is the right approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how I would solve for the stopping distance. I think you are on the right track. Continue working and see if you get the right answer. If not, then we are here.:smile:

I suppose you could use v^2=u^2+2as

What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the distance a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until it comes to a complete stop. It includes both reaction time and braking distance.

How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance is calculated by adding the reaction distance, which is the distance traveled during the driver's reaction time, and the braking distance, which is the distance traveled while the brakes are applied.

What factors affect stopping distance?

The main factors that affect stopping distance are the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, the condition of the vehicle's tires and brakes, and the driver's reaction time.

What is the average reaction time used in calculating stopping distance?

The average reaction time used in calculating stopping distance is 0.75 seconds. However, this can vary depending on the individual's alertness and the specific situation.

How can the stopping distance be reduced?

The stopping distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed, regularly checking and maintaining the vehicle's brakes and tires, and being alert and prepared for unexpected situations on the road.