How can we improve quote boxes in scientific writing?

• Thread starter Dale
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the recent changes made to the Physics Forums website layout, specifically the new quote format. Some members expressed their preference for a contrasting background color, while others pointed out that it was difficult to distinguish quoted text from regular text. There was also a discussion about the use of italics in quotes and whether or not it was necessary. Overall, most members seemed to be happy with the changes and appreciated the effort put into improving the design.
I like them.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
I like them.

I like them too... but I miss the contrasting background color.

Well I think that they are cool.

I also noticed that My CP was changed to My PF.

Good job

wow, and the "rules" section just turned into the Dilbert homepage!

O... wait. I just pressed the wrong tab on my browser. Nevermind.:biggrin::tongue2:

Anyway, good job on the changes. Variety's always nice.

The only thing is that when there is multiple quotes in the middle of text, it is harder to pick out what part is the quote and what isn't.

Although I think the design is great, there still should be some color difference.

Math Jeans said:
The only thing is that when there is multiple quotes in the middle of text, it is harder to pick out what part is the quote and what isn't.

Yeah, I agree. The novelty wore off really fast when I had to strain to see what is and what is not quoted.

I suggest putting the whole thing in a box, so it's easier to discern.

I think there needs to be some sort of contrast there.

Poop-Loops said:
Yeah, I agree. The novelty wore off really fast when I had to strain to see what is and what is not quoted.

I suggest putting the whole thing in a box, so it's easier to discern.

It seems that the quoted text is also forced to be italicized...
which hides the emphasis implied by italics in the original text.

The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...

robphy said:

The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...

... if I do say so myself.

robphy said:

The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...
The quick brown fox...

It was made italic beforehand as far as I remember.

For the purposes of this forum, I really don't think the new quote format works. Can we get to choose which to display (old or new) -- I thought I'd switch the themes to see if it's available on the other one but the listbox at the end of the page is no longer available.

octahedron said:
For the purposes of this forum, I really don't think the new quote format works. Can we get to choose which to display (old or new) -- I thought I'd switch the themes to see if it's available on the other one but the listbox at the end of the page is no longer available.

Nexus was dropped a while ago.

Kurdt said:
It was made italic beforehand as far as I remember.

Yes, I think you are correct.

...however, note Pervect's post, #13, (recorded by archive.org)
http://web.archive.org/web/20060313224027/www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=113730

The quoted text from a post is italicized.
However, the QUOTE /QUOTE (presumably manually-constructed) isn't.I guess one lesson in this
is that one should use bold, underline, or color or all three for emphasis.

(Side note: order of operations matter
all three vs all three)

Kurdt said:
I think there needs to be some sort of contrast there.

I'll play with a little contrast. Stay tuned.

I'm not a huge fan...:cry:

The contrast is my problem, I cannot differentiate between different quotes. I guess I'll have to get used to it though. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok I added a tiny bit of contrast.

Looks good, thanks Greg :smile:

Looks good, now we have the nice icon and the contrast.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Thumbs up :approve: !

lisab said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thumbs up :approve: !

Cool contrast...
...but is the forced italics necessary?

(If there was also a horizontal line (as thick as the vertical one on the left), you could have a slight 3-D effect.)

Well I'm happy with them now. Thanks for doing that. :smile:

The forced italics come up on a lot of forums like that. I don't know who started it, but it's pretty standard.

Me too. They definitely look better with the contrast.

robphy said:
Cool contrast...
...but is the forced italics necessary?
Yea. It's a little had for us old folks to read.
Oh, maybe it just this old computer.:eek:

Top stuff Greg! Thanks!

Wow! I'm gone for a week and look what happens. Looks great, Greg!

G01 said:
Wow! I'm gone for a week and look what happens. Looks great, Greg!

:rofl: I was reading from my bf's computer yesterday, and suddenly saw all these strange quotes. I was about to tell him his computer was all messed up when I spotted the mentors discussing the quotes. :rolleyes: PHEW! I like them now...the big quote mark is going to take a little getting used to, but that's all, just new and still startles me because I'm a creature of habit, but with the boxes around the text, I'm happy.

The new quote appearance is very nice. I just found the spiffy drop-down menus at the top that appear to let me do things with threads that I don't know why I'd want to do them, but I might have to just to try the things out.

I think a solid dark line underneath the quote (like the one at the left side), would look better than the greenish line all the way around.

I think this new style definitely looks good. There seems to be a lot of extra space above the quote, though.

I'm bumping to mention that another vBulletin forum that I sometimes visit (less frequently than Physics Forums of course) doesn't have their quotes in italics only. I've been assuming that the italics was mandatory, but I guess I was wrong. I don't really see why we would want the quote to be in italics. It's already in a box, with a diferent background, and indented. Do we really need italics too?

If it's an easy fix, I suggest that we let the quotes appear as the person being quoted intended, with only this word in italics.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else?

To fix?:biggrin:

Can't we have advanced editor that other vBulletin forums use? :shy:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is easy to fix. Anyone else?
I too prefer that quote boxes not be automatically italicized, so that actual italicized words will stand out as intended.

1. How can we make quote boxes more visually appealing in scientific writing?

One way to improve the appearance of quote boxes is to use a different font or formatting style to differentiate them from the rest of the text. Additionally, adding relevant images or diagrams can make the quote box more engaging.

2. How can we ensure that quote boxes are used appropriately in scientific writing?

It is important to only use quote boxes when the quoted text is essential to the understanding of the research or adds value to the overall message. Quote boxes should not be used for every quote, but rather for key points or important findings.

3. Are there any guidelines for citing sources within quote boxes?

Yes, sources should be cited within the quote box using the appropriate citation style (e.g. APA, MLA). This helps to give credit to the original source and allows readers to easily find the referenced material.

4. Can we use quote boxes for paraphrased information?

No, quote boxes should only be used for direct quotes. Paraphrased information should be integrated into the text and cited accordingly.

5. How can we make quote boxes more accessible for readers with visual impairments?

To make quote boxes more accessible, it is important to use appropriate contrast between the text and background color. Additionally, providing alternative text for any images or diagrams within the quote box can help visually impaired readers understand the content.