The Importance of Physical Modeling in Engineering: Insights from an EE Student

In summary: However, if there are a lot of parameters and/or a high degree of uncertainty, a more detailed model may be necessary. In summary, physical modeling is important to make a system work better. It can reduce the design time if the system is simple, but it can also be difficult to tune if the system has many parameters and is important.
Number2Pencil
I was hoping to get some input from someone in an engineering field about how important physical modeling is to you.

for example: how long do you spend on it, how closely does the model resemble the final project, do you think it's vital or a waste of time, or does your place of business even do it?

I'm asking because I'm in an EE class that is supposed to resemble an actual job. We're making a autonomous robot and he was VERY displeased with our physical model...so it got me wondering

Engineering news on Phys.org
Number2Pencil said:
I was hoping to get some input from someone in an engineering field about how important physical modeling is to you.

for example: how long do you spend on it, how closely does the model resemble the final project, do you think it's vital or a waste of time, or does your place of business even do it?

I'm asking because I'm in an EE class that is supposed to resemble an actual job. We're making a autonomous robot and he was VERY displeased with our physical model...so it got me wondering

I spend a significant amount of time theoretically modeling systems for either operational capabilities or design specifications but none on physical models. However we do verify the theoretical model by empirical testing once the system is built.

I suppose it would depend on what system you are modelling though.

CS

IMO physical model is important to make a system works better. If one just want the system works, then sometimes very simple model reduces the design time. Empirical testing on prototype can be a quick way to tune the performance of a system. But it would be hard to tune if the system has many parameters and optimal performance is required. Anyway it depends on what specific system you are modeling.

luben said:
Empirical testing on prototype can be a quick way to tune the performance of a system. But it would be hard to tune if the system has many parameters and optimal performance is required.

Empirical testing is required by most design standards to ensure the design is appropriate (safe) - not to fine tune it. However, fine tuning may be a coincidental benefit.

CS

We spend a lot of time and effort on our engine models. They are first used to get the thermodynamic cycle operational and make sure it is even feasible. Once the actual engine is being worked, we update the model based on test results. Once that is done, we use those models to help potential customers determine if the engine will suit their needs from an aircraft performance standpoint. They are also used to answer a myriad of other questions that eventually pop up. These models are very important to our company.

As far as component models and subsystems, I guess it all depends on the criticality of the model. A lot of times a simple model is sufficient.

What is physical modeling?

Physical modeling is a scientific method that uses mathematical equations and computer simulations to replicate the behavior and properties of physical systems in the real world. This approach allows scientists to study and understand complex phenomena that cannot be observed directly in the real world.

What are the advantages of physical modeling?

Physical modeling offers several advantages over traditional experimental methods. It allows for faster and cheaper testing of different scenarios, avoids ethical concerns with human or animal subjects, and provides more accurate and detailed data that can be analyzed repeatedly.

What are the limitations of physical modeling?

While physical modeling has many benefits, there are also some limitations. The accuracy of the simulations depends on the accuracy of the mathematical equations and the assumptions made by the scientists. Additionally, physical modeling cannot completely replace real-world experiments and observations, as there may be unexpected factors that are not accounted for in the simulations.

What fields use physical modeling?

Physical modeling is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is particularly useful for studying complex systems such as weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and biological processes.

How is physical modeling different from computer modeling?

Physical modeling and computer modeling are often used interchangeably, but there are key differences between the two. Physical modeling focuses on replicating real-world systems using mathematical equations, while computer modeling involves creating a digital representation of a system through coding and software. Physical modeling is more detailed and accurate but requires more resources, while computer modeling is faster and more versatile but may sacrifice some accuracy.