A functional that depends on an integral?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is possible to find the extrema of an integral equation with a variable and an integral of that variable as the integrand. The question is whether this is a "nonlocal" functional and if there are any references on this type of problem. One person has tried to apply the Euler-Lagrange equations but was unsuccessful. Another person suggests that the integral can be simplified to ln[integral(f(y,x') dx')] integral(f(y,x) dx) and poses the question whether this is equal to ln[integral(f(y,x) dx)] integral(f(y,x) dx).
jfitz
Is it possible to find the extrema of an integral equation if the integral depends on a variable and an integral of that variable, i.e. the integrand is f(x) * g(integral(x)).

I'm not sure if this is a "nonlocal" functional, or not a functional at all, but I can't find any references that deal with this type of problem.

If anybody has any ideas of where I could find more information about this, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
In case the question wasn't clear, here it is in a different way:

Does the calculus of variations apply to situations where you're looking for some function, y(x), that extremizes (in my particular case)

[tex]\int{ f(y,x) \ln{ \left[ \int{ f(y,x) dx } \right] } dx }[/tex]

?

I tried to apply the quick-and-dirty physicist's derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations to this case but came up empty handed. Maybe it is possible to solve for the particular case of the function f you are interested in, but otherwise I am at a loss for how to proceed.

jfitz said:
[tex]\int{ f(y,x) \ln{ \left[ \int{ f(y,x) dx } \right] } dx }[/tex]

?

Maybe I'm being stupid but isn't that equal to

[tex]\int{ f(y,x) \ln{ \left[ \int{ f(y,x') dx' } \right] } dx }=\ln{ \left[ \int{ f(y,x') dx' } \right]\int{ f(y,x) } dx }=\ln{ \left[ \int{ f(y,x) dx } \right]\int{ f(y,x) } dx }[/tex]

...?

1. What is a functional that depends on an integral?

A functional that depends on an integral is a mathematical concept where a function is defined based on an integral, rather than on a set of values. This means that the function is defined in terms of a range of possible inputs, rather than just specific values.

2. How is a functional that depends on an integral different from a regular function?

A regular function takes specific values as inputs and produces specific values as outputs. However, a functional that depends on an integral takes a range of values as inputs and produces a single value as an output, based on the integral of the function.

3. What is the purpose of using a functional that depends on an integral?

A functional that depends on an integral is often used to model complex systems or processes, where the function cannot be easily described by a regular function. It allows for a more generalized and flexible representation of the system.

4. What is an example of a functional that depends on an integral?

One example is the action functional used in physics, which describes the motion of a physical system by integrating over all possible paths. This allows for a more complete and accurate representation of the system's behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using a functional that depends on an integral?

While a functional that depends on an integral can provide a more generalized representation of a system, it can also be more complex and difficult to work with compared to regular functions. It may also require advanced mathematical techniques to solve and analyze.