Addition and subtraction formula, proving identities

In summary, when proving the identity tan(x-y) + tan(y-z) + tan(z-x) = tan(x-y) tan(y-z)tan(z-x), start by using the subtraction formula on the LHS, then convert tan into sine and cosine components, and finally show that the only remaining terms are those with three letters. Also, when writing an expression in terms of sine only, remember that this includes sine and numbers, so there is no need to convert numbers such as √3. Simply use the formula √3.sinx + √(1 - sin^2x) to express the given expression in terms of sine only.
cheab14
The question states, "Prove the identity."
(1) cos(x + y) cos(x-y) = cos(^2)x – sin(^2)y.
Should i start off using the addition and subtraction formulas for the LHS, and breaking down the perfect square for the RHS? If not or if so, how would I go about solving this problem? Step by step.

(2) sin(x + y + z) = sinx cosy cosz + cosx siny cosz + cosx cosy sinz - sinx siny sinz.
I started this off using the addition formula for the LHS, but I ended up splitting the LHS into two separate identities: sin(x + y) sin(y + z). How do I approach this problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cheab14 said:
(1) cos(x + y) cos(x-y) = cos(^2)x – sin(^2)y.
Should i start off using the addition and subtraction formulas for the LHS, and breaking down the perfect square for the RHS?

Hi cheab14! :smile:

No … don't start on both sides and try and make them meet in the middle!

You're not building a tunnel! :frown:

Just stick to one side, and try to make it equal the other.

In this case, do the LHS, exactly the way you suggested. :smile:
(2) sin(x + y + z) = sinx cosy cosz + cosx siny cosz + cosx cosy sinz - sinx siny sinz.
I started this off using the addition formula for the LHS, but I ended up splitting the LHS into two separate identities: sin(x + y) sin(y + z).

Show us how you did that. :confused:

hello tiny-tim!

for (1) i worked out the LHS like so:
(cosxcosy - sinxsiny)(cosxcosy + sinxsiny)
which ended up being: cos(^2)x cos(^2)y - sin(^2)x sin(^2)y. And then I'm stuck.

for (2) I'm just lost:confused:
-I have: sinxcosy + cosxsiny + sinycosz + cosysinz for the LHS which makes no sense to me:frown:

cheab14 said:
for (1) i worked out the LHS like so:
(cosxcosy - sinxsiny)(cosxcosy + sinxsiny)
which ended up being: cos(^2)x cos(^2)y - sin(^2)x sin(^2)y.

Well, you know the answer has only cos(^2)x and sin(^2)y.

So just rearrange the sin(^2)x and cos(^2)y in terms of cos(^2)x and sin(^2)y ! :smile:

(Alternatively, you could have used the rule cosAcosB = (cos(A+B) + cos(A-B))/2.)
I have: sinxcosy + cosxsiny + sinycosz + cosysinz for the LHS which makes no sense to me:frown:

How did you get that? :confused:

Just use sin(A+B) = … , with A = x+y and B = z. :smile:

ok thank u much!

A specific graph can be created from which the addition formula can be very understandably derived. Try an internet search since I cannot remember what books, or site showed it. You might also find this in an old Calculus book (but not using any calculus) written by Anton.

… all together now …

You can also sing it to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic:

Sin A plus B equals sin A cos B plus cos A sin B

Cos A plus B equals cos A cos B minus sin A sin B

Sin A minus B equals sin A cos B minus cos A sin B

CosAminusB equals cos A cos B plus sin A sin B! :smile:

:smile: It's your patriotic duty to learn it! :smile:
© tiny-tim ...

lol ok...i needed a way to remember those formulas...but i have two other questions: one involving proving identities...n the other involving expressions:
(1)prove the identity:
tan(x-y) + tan(y-z) + tan(z-x) = tan(x-y) tan(y-z)tan(z-x)
for this i started using the subraction formula on the LHS, but then that didn't seem to get me any closer. Then I decided to use tan in terms of sin and cos, now I don't what to do.

(2)write the expression in terms of sine only:
(the square root of 3)(sinx) + cosx.
At first I said that the square root of 3 was tan(pi/3) and then broke tan down into sin and cos components still multiplying that function by sinx; then i used the double angle formula for cosx which gave me the square root of of:(1-sin(^2)x) for cosx. Then I didn't know where to go from there.

(1) To save on typing, I'll put tanx = X, tany = Y, tanz = Z.

Then LHS x (1+XY)(1+YZ)(1+ZX)
= (X-Y)(1+YZ)(1+ZX)
+ (Y-Z)(1+XY)(1+ZX)
+ (Z-X)(1+XY)(1+YZ);

you need to show that the only items which don't cancel are those with three letters;
well, the 1s obviously cancel;
and then … ? :smile:

(2) When it says " in terms of sine only", that means sine and numbers! - so you don't have to convert the √3.
So you had the answer already: √3.sinx + √(1 - sin^2x). :smile:

ohk i'll keep (1) in mind when I work it out again thank u! and number (2)-couldn't believe it was that simple..thank u thank u thank u!

What is the addition formula for trigonometric functions?

The addition formula for trigonometric functions is: sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B).

How do you prove trigonometric identities?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using the addition and subtraction formulas, multiplying by conjugates, or simplifying using Pythagorean identities.

What is the subtraction formula for trigonometric functions?

The subtraction formula for trigonometric functions is: sin(A - B) = sin(A)cos(B) - cos(A)sin(B).

What is the purpose of using addition and subtraction formulas in trigonometry?

The addition and subtraction formulas allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions. They also help in proving trigonometric identities.

How can I remember the addition and subtraction formulas?

A helpful mnemonic for remembering the addition and subtraction formulas is "Some People Have Curly Brown Hair, Then Others Have Curly Brown Hair Turned Black" which stands for sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, cot, B for plus or minus, cos, sin, cos, sin, cos, sin, cos.