EM: Magnetic induction at a point due to a line of current, or square coil.

In summary, A student is seeking help understanding a problem in their electromagnetism course. The problem involves finding the magnetic induction at a point due to a line of current, with the assistance of Ampere's Law and Biot-Savart Law. The student is struggling with understanding the changes of variables and the lack of a clear diagram and definition of the variables in their notes. They also mention a relevant result that is used later in the course. They ask for clarification and assistance in understanding the problem. Another user responds by asking for clarification on where the student is getting lost in their understanding.
Seiun
Hi everyone,

(nb: I posted this in the introductory physics section, but maybe it should be here? I'm not exactly sure how to divide physics into introductory and advanced. I hope this isn't against the rules - it's only my second post!)

I am trying to understand my EM course again, and I have tried to solve this example for a couple of hours, but I cannot get the integration right. The example is in my notes, and is a worked problem... but the diagram is not very helpful, and I cannot see why particular changes of variable were made. Can anyone enlighten me on this problem?

I will try to explain the example, but a lot of my problem in understanding the example is the lack of a clear diagram and clear definition of the variables (in my opinion).

Let me know if I haven't said enough, keeping in mind that the example is not clear enough in my notes.

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the magnetic induction, B, at a point ("field point") due to a line of current. I guess you can assume the current continues to infinity, but the problem only considers from a point "a" to a point "b" on the line.

"dl" is a line element running from "b" to "a". The current "I" runs from "b" to "a". "r" is a vector running from the line element to the "field point". I assume this is the direction, an arrow has not been drawn but this is the standard definition, I believe. "d" is the shortest (perpendicular) distance form the line of current to the field point. [tex]\theta_{1}[/tex] is the angle (smallest) between "r" at point "b" and the current line. Similarly, [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] is the angle (smallest) between "r" at point "a" and the current line.

I know this can easily be solved by Ampere's Law, however the example first uses the Biot-Savart law and produces a result that is used later on in a few occasions in the course.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law:

[tex]
B = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi}\int^{b}_{a} \frac{dl \times r}{r^{3}}
[/tex]

3. Relevant Result

This is the relevant result from the above problem, and what's used later in the course.

[tex]
B = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi d} ( \cos \theta_1 + \cos \theta_2 )
[/tex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it can't be an infinite line current because the magnetic field from an infinite line current is consant, right? If you are close enough to the wire it will look start to look like the infinite current line.

Maybe you can tell us where you start to get lost in the solution you have, or in your own work, and that will let us know where to start helping.

What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is produced in a material when it is exposed to an external magnetic field.

How is magnetic induction related to electric current?

Magnetic induction is closely related to electric current because a changing electric current produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current.

What is the equation for calculating magnetic induction at a point due to a line of current?

The equation for calculating magnetic induction at a point due to a line of current is B = (μ0I)/(2πr), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the line of current.

What is the equation for calculating magnetic induction at a point due to a square coil?

The equation for calculating magnetic induction at a point due to a square coil is B = (μ0NIR^2)/(2(R^2+z^2)^(3/2)), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, R is the radius of the coil, and z is the distance from the center of the coil to the point of measurement.

How can magnetic induction be used in practical applications?

Magnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, motors, and magnetic storage devices. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).